Individual Page

Marriage: Children:
  1. Sarah Ann WELLWOOD: Birth: 26 JUL 1847 in Newborough, Ontario. Death: 4 APR 1940 in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

  2. William James WELLWOOD: Birth: ABT 1851 in Ontario, Canada. Death: AFT 1880 in USA

  3. James Moncrieff WELLWOOD: Birth: in Colorado, USA. Death: 17 OCT 1893 in Minnedosa, Manitoba, Canada

1. Title:   Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1857-1924
Page:   Database online.
Author: and Genealogical Research Library (Brampton, Ontario, Canada)
Publication:   Name: The Generations Network, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date: 2007;
2. Title:   Manitoba Vital Records/Vital Statistics
Page:   Registration #1940-06-016006
3. Title:   1851 Census of Canada East, Canada West, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia
Page:   Database online.
Publication:   Name: The Generations Network, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date: 2006;

a. Note:   I have just been able to confirm (on June 30, 20090 that the Reverend James M. Wellwood is a son of William James Wellwood and Mary Drennan. He was also a brother to my own Sarah Ann Wellwood, who married Simon Ferguson Lloyd, and a brother to a William Wellwood (about whom I know little at this time).
  Following is a lengthy summary of the research that led to these findings. I would greatly welcome contact with other members of this extended Wellwood family.
  1) In 2003 I determined that Sarah Ann (WELLWOOD) and Simon Ferguson LLOYD were the parents of my paternal grandmother Sarah Charlotte Lloyd. Further, I knew that the parents of Sarah Ann were William James WELLWOOD and Mary Drennan. In the years that followed, I located extensive information on the LLOYD family, but I was not able to locate any additional information on the WELLWOOD family.
  2) Throughout the years, while searching for information on 'my' WELLWOOD family, I found references to the Reverend James M. WELLWOOD, but I was not certain that he was related to 'my' WELLWOOD family. Finally, in 2007, I began to speculate that the Reverend James M. WELLWOOD was indeed a son of William James WELLWOOD, and the brother of both Sarah Ann WELLWOOD and William WELLWOOD. However, at that time I had not proof of this. To assist with my research, I tentatively added the Reverend James WELLWOOD to my family tree, and continued with my search. I noted that at some time he had lived in Minnedosa, Manitoba.
  3) In 2007, my wife and I visited in Brandon Manitoba, where Simon LLOYD and Sarah Ann (WELLLWOOD) had lived. We discovered that Minnedosa was close by, and decided to visit the town of and the Cemetery in Minnedosa, Manitoba. There we saw headstones with the following inscriptions. I added this information to this family tree, but knew that I might be in error when I listed these individuals as relatives of mine:
  a) Headstone: "Rev. J. M. Wellwood, born Nov 12, 1846, died Los Angeles California October 17th, 1893." A Masonic Symbol and the letters MLMD or MAMD are engraved at the top of the headstone. Also, there is a covering stone which read "J.M.W." at the head and reads "Rev. J.M. W." at the foot.
  b) Headstone: "Sarah Jane Mitchell, wife of Rev. J. M. Wellwood, born Dec 17, 1847, died April 2, 1932." Also, there is a covering stone which reads "Mother" at the head and reads "S.J.W." at the foot.
  c) There is also a cover stone positioned near to (1) and (2) which reads "Jean" at the head and "Jean" at the foot. I assume this was daughter of this couple.
  d) In the same cemetery in Minnedosa, I saw a headstone for "William Myers Hilliard, 1824 - 1915; His wife Alemeda Aylsworth Hilliard, 1838 - 1890." I know for certain that this Almeda Aylsworth and her husband William Myers Hilliard are relatives of mine. Almeda was a sister to my great-grandfather Ebenezer Aylsworth and a daughter of my great-great-grandfather Daniel Perry Aylsworth. Further, Almeda had been a witness to the marriage of her brother (my great-grandfather) Ebenezer Aylsworth and Rosanna Wilson, in 1870, in Ontario. See the detailed NOTES on each of these individuals in this family tree database.
  THESE FINDINGS, led to an even stronger hunch that the Reverend James M. WELLWOOD was indeed a brother to my Sarah Ann (WELLWOOD) LLOYD, based on the following rationale:
  i) Almeda (AYLSWORTH)HILLIARD and the Reverend James WELLWOOD lived around the same time in Minnedosa, Manitoba.
  ii) I assumed that Almeda (Aylsworth) Hilliard knew the Reverend James M. Wellwood, given that they both lived in Minnedosa, Manitoba.
  iii) Almeda's brother Ebenezer AYLSWORTH lived approximately fifty kilometers distant from Minnedosa, in Brandon, Kemnay and Alexander, Manitoba. Also, Sarah Ann (WELLWOOD) LLOYD and her husband Simon Ferguson LLOYD lived near to Ebenezer AYLSWORTH, in the small town called Beresford, Manitoba. One of the sons of Ebenezer (namely William Perry AYLESWORTH) married one of the daughters of Sarah Ann (WELLWOOD) LLOYD (namely Sarah Charlotte LLOYD).
  iv) Based on this, I speculated that the Aylsworth family, the Wellwood family and the Lloyd family may have moved from Ontario to Manitoba at about the same time, and that these families all knew one another in Ontario prior to moving to Manitoba. Further, I speculated that if the Reverend James M. WELLWOOD and my Sarah Ann (WELLWOOD) LLOYD were siblings, then perhaps conversations between Ebenezer and his sister Almeda led to introductions between William Perry AYLESWORTH and Sarah Charlotte LLOYD, whose mother's maiden name was Sarah Ann WELLWOOD. Regardless, it seemed likely that these four families did know one another in Ontario and, perhaps, in Manitoba (i.e. the families of Ebenezer Aylsworth, Simon and Sarah Ann (Wellwood) Lloyd, Rev James M. Wellwood, and Almeda (Aylsworth) Hilliard).
  4) On June 30th, 2009, I located the record for the marriage of James M WELLWOOD to Sarah Jane MITCHELL in 1874. The marriage took place in Gananoque, where my Sarah Ann (WELLWOOD) LLOYD also lived at the time, with her husband Simon Ferguson LLOYD. Further, I knew from census records that William Wellwood Jr, a brother of Sarah Ann, was living with Simon and Sarah Ann in Gananoque at the time. In the marriage certificate, the father of James M. WELLWOOD is listed as William WELLWOOD, and the mother is listed as Mary Millwood (s/b WELLWOOD). Given that the parents of my Sarah Ann (WELLWOOD) LLOYD were also named William and Mary, and given that my Sarah and many members of the LLOYD family also lived in Gananoque at this time, this record was a further indication that I may be correct in assume that the Reverend James M. WELLWOOD was known to and perhaps a sibling of my Sarah Ann (WELLWOOD) LLOYD.
  5) Later the same day, on June 30th, 2009, I located the following article about the Reverend James M. WELLWOOD and his family, as published in the Brandon Sun on August 25, 1972 (page 9). This article CONFIRMNS that James was indeed a brother to 'my' Sarah Ann WELLWOOD, and it provides additional information about her family. I have added this information into this family tree. The article reads:
  "Valley Vistas, by Peter Neufeld of Minnedosa
  MINNEDOSA -- "On Dec 15, 1880," says Minnedosa Memories, "a dominion meteorological site was established here. Rev. J. M. Wellwood had come to the district in June of that year and homesteaded two miles east and south of town. He set up the instruments on the farm and a line ran from the United States to his house before the first telegraph was installed at the M. and NW (Manitoba and North West Railway) station. Later in 1884 he moved to town and the meteorological station was placed on the hill southwest of town."
  Next week the federal government will present a plaque to Minnedosa Museum commemorating this meteorological station and the Wellwood family which supplied weather data vital to West-Man for 70 years. Accepting the plaque on behalf of the Wellwood will be granddaughter, Winnifred A. (Yuill) Whitley of Milita.
  I have recently been in correspondence with Mrs. Whitely and received a fascinating letter about the Wellwood family and weather station. The following are excerpts:
  "My grandfather, James Moncrieff Wellwood, was born in Hamilton in 1847 and my grandmother, Sarah Janes Mitchell, was born in Ganaoque in the same year. They were married June 2 1874. At that time Granpa was minister of Cote Des Neiges Presbyterian church, and at the same time was taking his BA from McGill. The strain was a bit too much and the doctor advised a complete break for a while, and his congregation gave him leave of absence and he and Grandma were married and took a trip to Scotland and Europe for a honeymoon, returned to Cote des Neiges and were there until Granpda was persuaded to come west as a missionary in the spring of 1880. Grandma and the three girls, Jean, Narcissa and Winnifred (my mother) came out later that year. Jessie and Helen were born at Minnedosa.
  "Grandpa's throat played out and he had to stop preaching, but inspected schools spring and fall, went south in the winter and made of study of educational methods down there, and also studied medicine and was just preparing to set up a practice in California when he died in 1892, at the age of 45. He was apparently like "the elephant's child' possessed of an insatiable curiosity and simply drove himself to death. Grandma was a comparatively calm person, and both had a very strong faith which carried them through many difficult times.
  "Before he came west Grandpa had become very much interested in meteorological observation and was asked to make reports. The station was carried on by the family until my aunt died in December 1949. She wanted to retire, but the department wanted her to carry on just a little longer. Practically the last thing she did was sit up in bed and write the week's report.
  "The 'observation' were all important. The thermometers were in a shed at the top of the hill where the Senior Citizens Lodge (Kinsmen Court) is now, and they had to be read at 6 o'clock morning and evening, and for some years at 12 o'clock noon. There were web bulb, dry bulb, maximum, minimum and present temperature, and it was not easy to climb the hill, unlock the shed and read the thermometers by flashlight and mark down the figures when the temperature was well below zero. Part of the time, at least, there was another thermometer shed in the yard and those too had to be read. The rain guage had to be emptied and measured if it had rained. If it stormed day or night they were supposed to keep track of the time, they had to measure the wind and the visibility, read the barometer, reduce the reading to sea-level, and then do some figuring and reduce the facts to a code which was telegraphed to Winnipeg. There was a line run from the station to the house, and if the report did not go in fairly quickly the call letters would be coming over the wire. Occasionally the wire would go dead, and then they had to telephone the station and have them sent from there, and sometimes the telephone was also out and then there was nothing for it but to go to the station -- usually when that happened it was storming or bitterly cold. It was a very trying job.
  When we were out in the afternoon, Grandma alway had to be home before six to take the observations. After she came to live with us, about 1926, I think, my aunt, Mrs. Workman officially took it over. Mary and Effie Macdonald used to help when Aunt Nomie (Helen) was away or ill. One of my vivid recollections is the winter when I was four and my sister a year and a half old. Grandma went down to visit her daughters in the States and Mother took the two of us and went over there and took the observations. I remember her bundling us up and putting us on the toboggan, pulling us up the hill and then getting down and sliding down with us. One of the winter jobs was to measure the snow drifts, take measurements in a number of places and then average them. She went around on snowshoes, pulling us and carry a long stick -- about six feet I thing -- and pushing it through the drifts at various points. We thought it was fun but I doubt if Mother did. Of course when we visited over there every summer it was fun going "up the hill" with Grandma or whoever was going. Wrens used to build nests in the thermometer shed (the ventilation holes were just the right size for the wren house), wild flowers were thick on the hill and birds in the bushes. If we were very quiet we could sit in the den and watch Grandma send off the reports.
  Grandpa's father [WILLIAM JAMES WELLWOOD] was killed when a sleigh tipped over with a load of wood on Hamilton mountain, when Grandpa was a small boy. There were three children, James, Sarah and William. William went to the States, Sarah lived in Brandon for many years -- Mrs. Simon Lloyd. [THIS IS MY GREAT-GRANDMOTHER! swa]. Their mother [MARY (DRENNAN) WELLWOOD remarried a Mr. Birmingham, and had three more children, Robert, Lizzie and Jane. Jane died when she was fairly young and Robert homesteaded near Brandon; the family still lIves there.
  "Aunt Jean died at the age of 26, Aunt Jessie married Frank Myers, a lawyer in Denver, and died quite a long time ago, Aunt Helen died in 1949. Aunt Narcissa was married to Robert Beall, died a few years ago. Her three sons are all lIving in California. My parents died in 1970. My sister, Wilhelmine Kilgour, is living in Ireland, where her husband is managing the Avoca copper mine. Her elder daughter (Jocelynne) is married to J. R. Weston, an assistant professor at Carlton University in Ottawa, and they have two children, Mark, aged and six, and Amy, three. Allison, the younger daughter, is in the library at Hay River, N.W.T.
  One of Grandmas' brothers was Colonel J. B. Mitchell of Winnipeg, for whom the James B. Mitchell school is named. He was a prominent citizen there for many years. His son, Ross Mitchell, now retired, was a doctor and still lives there, and his two daughters, both now dead, were married to doctors, Ralston Davison and Digby Wheeler.
  Grandma died in the spring of 1932 aged 84. the only thin which worried her when she went to the hospital was that she had started to crochet a fillet doily for with No. 100 corcet cotton and had it just half done."
  (These NOTES were written by Sam Aylesworth on July 1, 2009. Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Of course I am delighted to find this information, all of which is new to me. It also suggests some new approaches to/avenues for tracking down further information on the ancestry of William James WELLWOOD and his wife Mary DRENNAN.)
  In 2003, I first found reference to William James WELLWOOD and his wife Mary DRENNAN in the death record for Sarah Ann (WELLWOOD) LLOYD. Throughout the following years, I searched for information on William James and his wife, but found no significant information.
  Finally, on June 30th, 2009, I was able to confirm that this William James WELLWOOD was killed "when a sleigh tipped over with a load of wood on Hamilton mountain", and that he was the father of three children: James M. Wellwood, Sarah Ann Wellwood, and William Wellwood. For detail in this regard, please see my detailed notes for James Moncrieff WELLWOOD, where I copy a very helpful article published in 1972 in the Brandon Sun.
  The first strong lead to information about this William James Wellwood was provided to me on June 25, 2007 by Eleanore Wellwood of Vancouver, Canada, when she wrote as follows:
  "A new genealogy acquaintance passed on your query to the Leeds and Grenville branch of the OGS from a year ago about William James Wellwood. I don`t think I can be of much help except to eliminate the William Wel(l)woods in my family and to pass on one piece of information, which I`m sure has already been passed on to you.
  On the other hand, we had relatives on other sides of the families in roughly the same places at the same times (Bell, Mories -- frequently misspelled Morris) in the Ernestown, Lennox & Addington, Ontario, Canada area so there may even be a connection through other names.
  My Wellwoods came from County Carlow in Ireland in 1820 to Lanark County. They apparently had only been in Ireland for a generation, having previously been in Scotland. However, everything before 1820 is still very iffy. By 1820 we are not the same Wellwoods as were in Northern Ireland and are not the same Wellwoods who emigrated to Ontario (Raleigh, Kent) about 1835 (although that group also seemed to limit their names to Robert, John, William, Samuel, Jane and Sarah). We have no known connection to the Wellwoods in Nova Scotia. On the other hand, it is too uncommon a name for there not to be links eventually.
  My William died as a young man in 1833 (aged 29) and is buried in the Tennant burial ground in Lanark County, although his land was in Ramsay. His brother John had a son, William, born in Lanark County in 1840, before the family moved to Huron County in about 1850.
  At first I thought I had not encountered your William James Wel(l)wood (and I have learned not to pay any attention to spelling any more....), but, as I was going through my notebook, I came across the following reference. I have it as coming from the Bathurst Courier Births, Marriages, Deaths 1834-1869, which I am not sure is accurate, but I do remember that it was also in the series of books published in the 1980s by William D. Reid Deaths in Ontario, which extracted Birth, Marriage and Death notices from Ontario newspapers, especially the Christian Guardian.
  As I noted it, the reference read: "Feb. 20, 1852. D[eath]. Tues eve last by the upsetting of a wagon loaded with firewood on which he was driving, Wm WELWOOD lost his life...formerly lived in Newburgh 23 miles from Kingston...leaves a wife and three children. Gazette."
  I tried to find the family on the Library and Archives of Canada 1851 Census, having determined that Newboro is close to Westport, but I abandoned the search after not finding anything in sub-districts 188-191 and 193. That isn't all the sub-districts in Leeds, but I thought they would have covered Newboro. I was hoping to confirm the ancestry because, as you must understand all too well, the English Wellwoods are an extremely small group and I have no information on them at all. If this is your William, it seems quite likely that his widow would have remarried, which could explain the difficulty finding traces. If you think there is any possibility that he was from Northern Ireland, I have an incredibly badly reproduced typed manuscript of Anthony Tupper that I would be willing to continue struggling through some more pages if you could give me an idea of when you think he was born. And, I would be happy to clarify anything I know about my branch of the Wellwoods. There are a few reasonably accurate websites that have most of the information.
  Yours truly,
 Eleanore Wellwood
  I responded as follows:
  "The only source of info I have regarding the birth place for ‘my` William James Wellwood is the death certificate for her daughter Sarah Ann Wellwood. It says that her mother came from Ireland and her dad from England. Sarah Ann Wellwood married Simon Ferguson Lloyd, and their daughter was my grandmother: Sarah Charlotte Lloyd (called Lottie). In the 1871 Canadian Census it states that Sarah Ann's parents from Ireland and it says nothing about England … so it is very possible that her father also came from Ireland. They had a son named William Wellwood. They may have had other children, but I do not have any further information about the family. [I later discovered that they had one other son, the Reverend James Moncrieff WELLWOOD. swa]
  I wrote to Leeds and Grenville but they could not offer any new information at all, and they did NOT advise me of the newspaper article which you refer to. It seems very promising!
  The death certificate does say that Sarah Ann Wellwood was born in Newborough, Ontario. Her death certificate is witnessed by her son William James Lloyd. This is the only info I have regarding this family at this time.
  I know that Sarah was born in 1847, so perhaps her father was born between 1800 and 1827.
  I have another family line that came to the Lanark area in 1820 from Ireland: Catherine Young, born 1810, and her parents John and Katrin Young. They came to Canada as part of the Peter Robinson immigrant group. Is there any relationship between my Young`s and the Wellwoods?
  I look forward to hearing further from you. Thank you for taking the time to write.
  Best wishes,
 Sam Aylesworth"
  The 1972 article in the Brandon Sun refers to the father of James Moncrieff WELLWOOD as follows:
  "[His] father was killed when a sleigh tipped over with a load of wood on Hamilton mountain when [James Moncrieff Wellwood] was a small boy. There were three children, James, Sarah and William. William went to the States, Sarah lived in Brandon for many years -- Mrs. Simon Lloyd [THIS IS MY PATERNAL GRANDMOTHER. swa]. Their mother [Mary (Drennan) WELLWOOD] remarried a Mr. Birmingham, and had three more children, Robert, Lizzie and Jane. Jane died when she was fairly young and Robert homesteaded near Brandon; the family still lives there." { The article is quoting from a letter written by Winnifred A. (Yuill) Whitley of Melita, who was a granddaughter of James Moncrieff WELLWOOD..}
  =========== is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.