Individual Page

Marriage: Children:
  1. Finis "Slim" Leon Wood: Birth: 13 NOV 1891 in Gravelly Springs, Lauderdale, Alabama, USA. Death: 4 SEP 1962 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA

  2. William Claude Wood: Birth: 18 JUL 1894 in Gravelly Springs, Lauderdale, Alabama, USA. Death: 7 MAY 1979 in Florence, Lauderdale, Alabama, USA

  3. Verdie Morris Wood: Birth: 17 OCT 1896 in Gravelly Springs, Lauderdale, Alabama, USA. Death: 27 MAY 1992 in Gravelly Springs, Lauderdale, Alabama, USA

  4. Benjamin McKinley Wood: Birth: 26 DEC 1898 in Gravelly Springs, Lauderdale, Alabama, USA. Death: 20 AUG 1981 in Gravelly Springs, Lauderdale, Alabama, USA

  5. Eugenia Estelle Wood: Birth: 26 JUN 1902 in Lauderdale, Alabama, USA. Death: 12 JUL 1993 in Lauderdale, Alabama, USA

  6. Elsie Elizabeth Wood: Birth: 1 JUN 1905 in Gravelly Springs, Lauderdale, Alabama, USA. Death: 20 JUN 1982 in Waterloo, Lauderdale, Alabama, USA

  7. Jesse Bert Wood: Birth: 1 OCT 1910 in Gravelly Springs, Lauderdale, Alabama, USA. Death: 12 MAY 2004 in South Bend, St. Joseph, Indiana, USA

  8. Daisy Marie Wood: Birth: 15 JUL 1913 in Gravelly Springs, Lauderdale, Alabama, USA. Death: 23 JUN 1998 in Lauderdale, Alabama, USA

a. Note:   metery is in Prct.#14.. Alabama Deaths, 1908-59 Name: Sarah F Wood Death Date: 13 Apr 1959 Death County: Lauderdale Volume: 17 Certificate: 8175 Roll: 6
*1870C, Laud. Co., AL; fam 1518/1465, pg. 545.. 1870C says b. Aug.. ---------------- Grandma I can see her now, coming up the road from the spring, carrying a bucket of water, her head bowed, wearing a sun bonnet and as always an apron covering her full length dress, and her high top ladies shoes. I will always remember her this way. She was 66 years old when I was born so I did not see her in her younger years, but she was a very active person well into her 70's. She would help Aunt Verdie in the kitchen, preparing meals, washing dishes or any other chore. I ate at her house quite often, sometimes I would eat at home and then go to grandmas and make a trip through the kitchen to check out what they had to eat. She always had something there, then I would go down the road to Uncle McKinley's house and maybe eat something there. [I wonder if this why I have a weight problem now?] Usually if you saw grandma you would see Aunt Lina Milford [her sister] and Aunt Verdie, in the afternoon in summertime when it was very hot, they would take chairs out under the big oak tree just west of the house next to the old smokehouse. The y would sit in the shade and visit with whoever happened to stop by. Sometimes they would be shelling peas or snapping beans or any other job that could be done there. Wintertime of course was time spent inside, but there was jobs to be Done. Grandma seemed to have a needle growing out of her right hand and a thimble from the left, if she wasn't piecing scraps of cloth together for a quilt top she was making the quilt. There was a quilt frame hanging from hooks in the main part of the house, [near the fireplace]. It would be lowered to a height suitable for the women to sit and sew the quilt, when they finished for the day the frame was simply raised and tied up for the night. Some beautiful quilts come from that place, one of grandma's favorite patterns was a Dutch girl. When I see the price of a quilt in Amish shops around here [some as high as $500.00] I think of Grandma, Aunt Verdie, Aunt Daisy, Aunt Fannie, and my mother and others who would sit all day sewing and enjoying each other's company. I am proud to have one of these priceless quilts, priceless because it was given to me with the same love it was sewn, I will treasure it forever. Grandma was very interested in education. In her time children went to school on a schedule according to other needs of the family. But to see some of her writings and to see how happy she was when one of her many grandchildren would bring a good report card. You knew how important it was to her. I suppose most people would think she had a hard life on that small farm, and it was. But it was the norm for that times and place. Electricity was not available to the area until the last four or five years of her life. So she never had any connivance s we have now. She never had running water in her house, as I said she carried water from the spring down the hill from the house. Wash day was usually Monday. It was an all day job, the large kettles were near the spring for the connivance of the water supply. They were filled with water and a fire was built around them. Washing was in large tubs and washboards with homemade lye soap, then rinsed in another tub, then wrung out by hand and hung on the line to dry. This was also a day beans were the main course for supper as they were about the only thing that would cook on the old wood stove without someone being there to watch over them. When I put a load of clothes in the washer or drier, or warm food in the microwave, or adjust the thermostat for heat or cooling I sometimes think back to those days and remember how much time was spent getting wood. Cutting and splitting it for heat, cooking and heating water for washing clothes. That is the time I am really proud of my ancestors and all the effort and love they put into making life better for my descendants and me. I love you grandma-------------Dan Wood ------------ I heard, from Dad, Jesse Bert Wood, that Grandma Sarah Frances Milford and Grandpa John Pugh Wood, met while attending school at a school/church called Aenon,{Dad's spelling, it is pronounced E-non.} Grandma's family lived in the hollow just west of the Milford Cemetery at the intersection of the hollow south of "The Albert Rogers Homeplace". Grandpa's family moved about pretty often as far as I can tell, they might have been living in the hollow just west of Oak Grove Road about a mile north of where the church is located. Aenon School and Church was located just across the road from where John and Sallie settled down in 1905. Mabel Wood, widow of Wallace Ray Wood said the building was where her house is now located. It is possible at that time the property where the building was located was being homesteaded by Thomas R. Pounders and his wife, Cinthia Akins Pounders, she was a sister to Sallie's mother, Frances Akins, and later by Aunt Lina Milford, grandma's sister. They were married January 1, 1891 at the home of Sallie's parents William and Frances Milford and raised a family of eight {8} children, they were at the old homeplace from 1905 till grandpa died in September 1955, grandma died in April 1959. Aunt Verdie lived in the old home till her death in 1992.
The old home fell into dis-repair and was in danger of falling down if it was not repaired. Since most of the grandchildren loved to be there when they were growing up, it was a place we all seemed to think was our second home {on every visit from Indiana to Alabama since moving there in 1951, I would be drawn to that place to get to sleep in the old home and enjoy Aunt Verdies good home raised and home cooked food}. We had the pines cut from the hill behind the house because of the beetles that was attacking the trees and the money from this was put away while we tried to decide how to proceed with repairs. My sister, Verdie Faye, died in August of 2001, she was retarded and then had alzeimers disease and dad was her caregiver, after waiting about a month I brought Dad "back home". He was so excited to be back, We came back in the spring of 2002, my cousin, Harvey Young, let us use his motor home and we parked in the front of the house and it was like being home again, we talked about lifting the kitchen as it had pulled away from back porch, we decided it was dangerous to do with jacks and Eldred and Jerry Wood said they would hire someone with a tractor with a bucket so it could be lifted and pushed in at the same time. Dad had told me of some boards in the ceiling that had once been the blackboard at "The Milford School", in the back bedroom, "Aunt Verdies Room". I started tearing some of the covering, cardboard, paneling and other things, the hand hewn beams were in excellent shape, I kept removing the material from the ceiling and then the walls, next thing I knew I had a large pile of trash, then I had company, Jerry, Linda, Eldred Wood and Tommie Sue Wood Risner and Betty Jane Young Smith. Everyone started removing materials from different rooms, we soon had a large pile of trash to dispose. The people listed above have worked on this for more than 2 years and the place is BEAUTIFUL.
At this writing we have had 2 family reunions there, the first about 200 were there, in 2004 we believe we had around 450/500 people, some were there that did not come down to the picnic area. All of this because of the LOVE of two wonderful people, Grandma and Grandpa Wood. (Dan Wood).
Note:   Name Sarah (Sally) Frances Elizabeth Milford Born 7 Sep 1869 Gravely Springs, Laud. Co., AL Died 13 Apr 1959 Florence, Laud. Co., ALSally died at ECM Hosp, Florence, Laud. Co., AL. Buried 15 Apr 1959 Milford Cem., Wright, Laud. Co., AL*Milford Ce is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.