Note: this farm was a stone quarry. Andrew prospered, and built a very largetwo-story stone house (still stood in 1963) in which he raised afamily of seventeen children. Land in those times was arranged on a lease basis, andbelonged to the tenant farmer as long as payments were made. When thepotato blight struck Europe and Ireland in 1844, famine resulted andthe tenant farmers could no longer make payments. Most lost theirholdings and emmigrated to the United States, Canada, and Australia.Of Andrew's seventeen children, four emmigrated to the United States,four to Australia, and one to Canada. Most of his sons worked on thelocks of the River Barrow by Leighlin Bridge. The family church St. Laserian's Cathedral in Old Leighlinhas an interesting history. It's roots can be traced back to the year600 as a monastic Celt settlement. In 859 and 916 the origianalcathedral was plundered by the Danes. It was totally destroyed in1060, and remained derelict for about a century. From 1152 to 1181 itwas rebuilt of stone by Donatees. It was restored in 1955.
Note: In 1814 Andrew was given the family farm by his father. On
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.