Note: BIOGRAPHY OF RUTGER JACOBSEN VAN SCHOENDERWOERDT
Compiled by Robert L. Protzmann
Etymology of the name Rutgers
Rutgers - son of Rutger (Dutch form of Roger (fame, spear)). Rutsen - son of Rut or Ruth (short for Rutger)
1. Jacob (Van SCHOENDERWOERT), m. Eva Engels Jans. Schoenderwoert is a pretty Dutch village, 2 miles north of Leerdam, and 4 miles from Vianen, the country seat of Killian Van Rensselaer. It is about 12 miles south of Utrecht.
11. Rutger Jacobsen Van SCHOENDERWOERT (Rut/Ruth Van Woert), b. ca. 1621, Schoenderwoert, (12 miles south of Utrecht), South Holland; d. Dec 9, 1665, Kingston, NY, bur ADRC; m. Jun 3, 1646, New Amsterdam, Tryntje/Catherine Janse/Jans Van Breesteede /Briestede (b. ca. 1625, Bredstedt, Schleswig; d. Dec 10, 1711, at her son's in Rosendaal), dau of Jan Jansen van Breestede and Engltje Jans (she m2 in 1641, Egbert Wouterszen from Ysselstein), from Bredstedt, in Holstein. Tryntje m2. Dec 5, 1695, ADRC, Hendrick Janse Rooseboom. (b. 1630, Elburg (?), d. Apr 11, 1703, Albany, NY), widr of Gijsbertje Lansing (b. Hasselt, Overijessel, Netherlands), dau of Gerrit Frederick Lansing. Rut came out with the De Forests. He left Texel on the "Rensselaerswyck", Jan Tiebkins, skipper, on Oct 1, 1636, bound for Fort Orange, arrived Manhattan, Mar 4, 1637, Rensselaerswyck, Apr 8, 1637. She immigrated with her parents in 1636.
He served the patroon as a farm hand for 6 years from Apr 8, 1637, on the farm of Cornelis Teunsiz, from Brooklyn. In Feb 1643, he was engaged as foreman, beginning Apr 7, 1643, on the Great Flats. In 1645, he was the lesee of a farm on the Fifth Creek, later taken over by Adriaen Huybertsz. In 1647, he was a foreman. 1648-54, he rented a sawmill on Fifth Creek, taken over from Andries de Vos, also with Barent Pietersz, for 125 florins; and a saw- and grist mill, on Fifth Creek, at an annual rent of 550 florins. In 1639 (or 49), he and Goosen Gerritse Van Schaick rented the Patroon's brewery, for 450 guilders a year plus 1 guilder/tun of beer, which amounted to 330 guilders the first year. He was also a lesee of a farm in 1647. He owned a yacht in 1648, and had a license to trade in furs after 1649. From Oct 18, 1650, he and Goosen Jacobse were authorized to brew beer. He paid a tax and brewed free the beer for the households of Van Slichtenhorst and de Hooghes, officers of the colony. 1649-51, drew a salary as Councilor. On Apr 23, 1652, he was granted a lot, in Beverwyck. In 1651, he asked to be relieved from a position on the Court, and was replaced by Jan Baptist Van Rensselaer. In 1654, he bought the brew house of Jan Jans Van Noorstrant, on what is now Beaver St, Albany. He owned a sloop on the Hudson, "Eyckenboom", which he often commanded, although he also employed Abraham de Truwe (Truax), as master, and shipped beaver skins. He frequently bought and sold building lots in the village and farm plots in the countryside. Magistrate, Beverwyck, 1655, and probably until his death. May 11, 1655, Augustyn Heermans sold to Rut Jacobsen, of Fort Orange, a plot on Manhattan later known as Trinity's Upper Farm. [No deed out of Rut Jacobsen, or into Trinity Church has been found.] [Note: Rutger Jacobsen was a witness to the will of Anneke Jans.] In 1656, he was chosen to lay the cornerstone of the new church, at the middle of the crossing of Yonker and Handelaers (now State and Market Sts). A window in the church, installed in his honor, was inscribed, Rutger Jacobsen, Commissaris. In 1657, he bought the house and lot of Harmen Albertse Vedder, trader, in Beverwyck, on State St, between Green and Pearl Sts, for 2325 guilders. On Mar 10, 1661, with Andries Herbertsen (Constapel), he was patented a share of Mohicander's Island (Pachonakclick, or Long Island, also Constapel's Island (another patent dated, Mar 19, 1661)), below Bethlehem.
Houses at No. 18 and 19, Block M, Castello Plan (Heere Gracht (Broad St), built house after Oct 4, 1649 and before Oct 15, 1655; finest residence on the block between S. William St and Prince St, with coach house, or perhaps a small warehouse in the rear, bought from Megapolensis. The house was rented by Abraham de Lucerna between 1660-1, and surrendered to Isaac Bedloo, after the house was sold, Sep 9, 1660. It had been mortgaged to Johannis Withart, in 1656. [This may be the same as following - RLP.] House, and warehouse, No. 8 & 9, Block M, (Stone Street and Slyck Stegh (S. William St), Castello Plan, was occupied by Abraham de Lucena, prominent Jewish merchant. His house, on Stone St, in New Amsterdam was sold at auction, fall of 1660, to Johannes Withart. It was used either as a temporary residence, or for storage of trade goods. Tryn Janszen mortgaged her house and lot to Cornelis Steenwyck, Sep 4, 1658, the creditors forced a sale and Withart bid the property, with Steenwyck consenting. Jacobsen fought the sale, from Albany, but lost, deed to Withart, Nov 12, 1661, already deed by the latter to Isaac Bedloo, who lived there. The house was later owned (or a tenant) by Nicholas Bayard, (in 1667) bane of Jacob Leisler. Bayard bought the house, 1685.
Dom Megapolensis deeded to Rut Jacobsen, receited in deed to Johannes Withart, Oct 4, 1659. Mar 1663, lot 7, Block M, stated as W of Rut Jacobsen. Oct 4, 1649, Deed, Wessel Evertsen to Rut Jacobsen, w of smith's shop of Burger Jorissen. Deed, Nov 12, 1661, Jacobsen to Joannes Withart, house and lot N of Hoogh Straat, occupied by Isaac Bedloe. Sold at public sale, Sep 16, 1660. Sep 12, 1661, sold to Bedloe. - Same as above ? Beyond the Water Gate, in Smit's Valley, there were only 3 houses below the Maiden Path, in 1660. The most imposing, No. 7, Castello Plan was owned by Willem Teller, of Albany. On Jul 16, 1648, he and his partner, Rutger Jacobsen, purchased a rectangular piece of land, withouth the Water Port, towards the East River, along Jan Damen's land from Goosen Gerritse Van Schaick. This was from the original grant of Kieft to Tymen Jansen, 1640. Rutger owned the southern portion of the plot, later covered by the Wall St sub-station of the Post Office. He sold the lot to Ryer Stoffelsen, Sep 10, 1655. Ryckert Van Rensselaer and Jan Van Baal served as administrators of his estate. His personal property sold for > 983 guilders, which included 512 guilders of silver and jewelry.
"... My wife's mother died in the Lord... at Rosendal at the house of her son Jacob. She came to Kinnistgeghyoene on the 18th September... and was sick three weeks.", written by Jan Jansen Bleecker (1711). [His wife was Margaret RUTSE, and her mother was Tryntje Janse Van BREESTEDE, the wife of Rutger JACOBSEN.]
"Family Bible Record of Rutger Van Schoenderwoerd of Albany, NY", in the NY Historical Society. (English translation from an 1646 Bible).
web hosting � domain names � web design online games � photo sharing blog � advertising online
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.