Individual Page

Marriage: Children:
  1. Person Not Viewable

a. Note:   Francis' (Frank's) mother died when he was fifteen. Since he was the only child left at home, his father decided to move into lodgings,and Frank went to live with his married sister Bertha, in 1913. He started work at age 11, working for a milk delivery company and then a painter. When he was 14 he got a job as a delivery boy with Daniel Neal's a large store near Oxford St. There he met Sybil Pearmine. He volunteered on August 14, 1914 for Army service Reg # 82756, as a signaller in the Royal Field Artillery, "D" battery, 64th Army brigade. Sybil decided to write to him and through this correspondence he met her sister Ada Margaret whom he later married. During WW1 he was in the following battles:1915:- 2nd battle of Ypres, Festubert, Ploegsteert & Armentieres. 1916: Ypres, Arras, the Somme, Ovilliers and Thiepval. 1917:- Messines, Ypres Offensive, Zillibeeke, Potisze, Frezenberg, Passchendaele. 1918:- German Offensive, Fleur-Baix to Striazeele. He was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in 1916, (Supplement to the London gazette, August 23, 1916), and was gassed in the first German gas attack in 1915 This later gave him a cough that lasted for the rest of his life. he was also awarded the British War medal, the Victory Medal and the 1914-15 Star. After demobilization on August 14, 1920, he joined the Metropolitan Police on August 16, 1920. Her married Ada Margaret Pearmine on June 9, 1923, living in Percy St. London. In 1925 they moved to 38, Seymour House, Tavistock Place W.C.1. By chance he discovered that his father was now living in the St. Pancras Almshouse and assumed responsibility for his upkeep, although his father refused to visit or have any contact with him or his family. He was not notified of his father's death and some of the upkeep money was refunded to him in February 1938, 5 years after his father had died! In 1935 they moved to 30, Jenner House, Hunter St. W.C.1. He was commended three times for bravery: Stopping a brewer's dray with runaway horses going down Pentonville Hill approaching a busy crossing at King's Cross; for disarming a meat porter who has gone berserk in Smithfield Meat market, and disarming a murderer armed with a gun. For some years was stationed at the King's Cross Road Station. He was a good organizer of social events and was also very musical with a good singing voice. In 1939 we were on holiday in Newton Abbott, Devon when he was recalled to London on August 24, 1939. War as declared on September 3, 1939. He volunteered for the Army again, but was refused because he was in the Met. Police. He was invalided from the Force in 1945 largely due to shock, when he was informed that his home has been hit by a V2 rocket and his son Clement, home from Army leave, was among the missing. He then worked as an accountant for UNRRA, the UN refugee Organization. In 1947 he was asked to join the IRO in Geneva, Switzerland. He and his wife lived on the Rue du Mole in Geneva until 1951, when he was asked to join UNKRRA in New York. He lived with his wife in New Rochelle, Westchester County and worked at the UN Building in New York City. In 1957 he returned to England, living in Surbiton, Surrey and working for the Egg Marketing Board as an accountant. He suffered a severe stroke on 25, October 1964 and was forced to retire. In October, 1965, he and his wife came to Canada to spend 6 months with their son Clem and his wife Sonia and their grand daughter Frances. Two weeks after his arrival he suffered a massive stroke on November 9, 1965 and died. He was cremated and his ashes interred in Pinecrest cemetery, Ottawa on November 15, 1965. is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.