Ambroise Tremblay: Birth: 21 Mar 1726 in St Francois Xavier de La Petitie Riviere, Province de Quebec. Death: 1 Mar 1767 in Detroit, Wayne Co, Michigan
Note: nst English penetration into the Lake region and the Ohio valley had been definitely recognized. Voyageurs in growing numbers made Detroit their headquarters. Every year witnessed a few immigrants and discharged soldiers taking up lands in the vicinity of Fort Ponchartrain, and the concessions made to them begin to figure in the official dispatches as early as 1734. In 1749 a determined effort was made to increase the population of Detroit. The following proclamation from Governor Galissonniere was read in every parish along the St. Lawrence.""Every man who will go to settle in Detroit shall receive gratuitously, one spade, one axe, one ploughshare, one large and one small wagon. We will make an advance of other tools to be paid for in two years only. He will be given a Cow, of which he shall return the increase, also a Sow. Seed will be advanced the first year, to be returned at the third harvest. The women and children will be supported one year. Those will be deprived of the liberality of the King, who shall give themselves up to trade in place of agriculture.""These prospects must have proved so alluring that the same year a large number of emigrants took advantage of them. A contemporary document acquaints us with their names and interesting family details. The following is a typical entry.Louis Plichon was sent from Montreal and arrived in Detroit the 26th of July, 1749, with his wife and two children to take up the land assigned to him. It is 3 arpents long by 40 arpents deep, and is situated on the south side abutting (the land of) Louis Gervais on the north, and lands not yet conceded on the south. The fifth ration here mentioned was accorded to one of his wife's brothers who rejoined him in 1750.He recieved as a donation:4 rations from July 26, 1749, to the same day, 1750, and from July 26, 1750, five rations up to Jan. 26, 1751.2 roebucks for meat 2 augers2 (?) of flour 1 sow1 hoe 7 chickens1 axe 80 roofing nails1 ploughshare complete 4 lbs. powder1 scythe 6 lbs. leadHe received to be returned or paid back:20 bushels of wheat 1 cow1 bushel of corn 1 oxThe list goes on with the names so familiar in the old French life of Detroit. Jean-Baptiste Drouillard comes with his wife, five boys and two girls. There are the Le Beau's, Pilets, Le Ducs, Godfroys, and Tremblays, all with their wives and children. In on instance, the Royal notary must have been unwilling to spill over the one well-ruled page that was assigned to every settler, for, in the case of Jacques Bigras the only reference to his children is that they are "a numerous progeny." The settlement acquires a shoemaker in the person of Francois Mallet, with his wife and son. According to the notarial document about seventy-five souls were added to the population in the fall of 1749.Many of the entries, similar to the one quoted in full, state that land is granted on the "south side". All voyageurs called the connection between Lake St. Clair and Lake Erie not a river, but a Strait, Le Detroit. All lands lying along this strait were said to be at Le Detroit. What we now call the Canadian side was to them the "south side"; the American side was the "north side." *Taken from "The Catholic Church in Detroit 1701-1888" (George Paré - Gabriel Richard Press- 1951)
Note: "The migration from Quebec to Detroit""By 1730 the importance of Detroit as a bullwark agai
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.