Individual Page

Marriage: Children:
  1. Person Not Viewable

1. Source:   Footnote: Rec. Town of Windsor, birth cert, death cert. Edmund Rice
2. Source:   Footnote: Town Records

a. Note:   Gerald H. Rice
  Born in Bellows Falls, went to school in Windsor, Vt. Was nicknamed " Brick ", because that was the color of his hair, as was his father`s, (what there was of it ! ), his son`s and his paternal grandmother`s. Played varsity football and basketball all four years of High School. Worked in his free time at the local moving picture theater, running the projector during the evening show and getting up early to clean the theater before school. After High School, he went to Boston, Mass. where he eventually became a General Agent for New York Life. While initially in Boston, he carried on a long distance romance with his eventual wife, Evelyn Jarvis. In fact he lived in a boarding house with her brother, Clayton and her cousin, Dr. Lawrence Obrey DDS.
  He returned to Windsor to be married, 12 Oct 1927, then both to Worcester, Mass. for Columbian Life and returned to Windsor for good in 1928 when he went into partnership with Evelyn`s aunt, Mary Jarvis, forming The Jarvis and Rice Agency an all-lines insurer. At the height of the depression he traveled around northern Vermont for the Vermont Mutual Fire Insurance Co. appraising farms (mostly to reduce the amount of Insurance to keep pace with rapidly falling real estate values). He was a student of the Insurance business and well respected by his peers. He bought out Mary when she was in her 80`s and he in turn sold to his son, Gerald J., in Jan. 1967 after learning he was stricken with terminal cancer.
  He was a Sgt. in the State Guard and stood duty at the outbreak of W.W.II guarding the machine tool factories and rail-ways in the area, a frigid job. He was a member and past president of the Windsor Rotary Club, an usher for years at St Francis, a member of the Knights of Columbus and also belonged to the B.P.O.E. (Elks). He enjoyed hunting and fishing, was an avid golfer and liked the outdoors. He took the time to see that his son had the opportunity to learn to enjoy these pastimes also.
  He hunted for years with his close friend, Ned Conlin, many times at a camp Ned belonged to on Stoney Brook road in Stockbridge, Vt called Camp Tocomto. They loved to deer hunt, mostly to visit with the other hunters they came across in the woods, and would always report back what each hunter they ran into that day had to say - I dont know what either of them would have done had they by chance shot a deer; but they really enjoyed going to that deer camp together. I went with them a number of times when I was in High School. There is a story about a hunt they went on in Windsor during WW II. Dad had borrowed a rifle from Dr Harpin who actually had some hard to find ammunition. He told Dad he could take the amno but would have to pay twenty-five cents for each shell that was used. It seems that fancy rifle had a hair trigger lever that, unknown to Dad, had been left on. It was still dark as they parked where they had planned to hunt that day. Each time Dad tried to push the bolt forward to seat the shell in the chamber the hair trigger let go and the gun would go off. After his second attempt to load the rifle still caused the gun to go off, Ned dryly remarked, "Gerald, you havent even got in the woods yet and already you`ve spent fifty cents." I think Dad carried an empty rifle around that day just to look the part of a typical Vermont deer hunter.
  Another family story tells about the time years ago when he and some other school boys were trying to save furniture during a serious fire that destroyed the Amco Club at the corner of Main and Union ( where the "Block" is at the present time ). He had just reached the second floor, on one of his many trips into the burning building, when a small keg of gun powder exploded blowing him down the stairs. Mother said that some of the skin on his face was blistered and actually hanging in shreds. Luckily he was not scarred, but did have a ruddy completion for the rest of his life with small veins showing, much like those of a heavy drinker.
  When he was a young school-boy he would spend summers at his grandmothers in Woodstock. There, whenever a thunderstorm occurred he was whisked into a large windowless interior closet to sit out the storm with his frightened hostess. I remember as a very small child being held in his arms on the sun porch of our home on Lowell Street watching the wild beauty of the lightning bolts and listening to the symphony of thunder during severe storms, something I tried to do with my own children. He told me (later I`m sure) that a brave man only dies once but a coward dies a thousand times.
  Neal Cady, a golfer presently in his 80`s remembers an incident when Dad and his friend Ned were playing golf together many years ago when Neal was just a young caddy. The configuration of what was then called The Hourglass CC, later changed to Windsor CC and now the John P. Larkin CC was such that, if I understand it correctly, there was a tee box somewhere in the vicinity of the present eighth green from which a player must hit up to the next plateau to a short hidden green. Dad and Ned hadn`t finished playing on that green when a ball landed nearby and rolled beneath some bushes. After finishing their play, Dad or Ned went over and retrieved that ball and then dropped it into the hole. As they played up the next fairway they kept glancing back watching those golfers searching for the ball. Soon, whoops of delight indicated somebody had finally looked in the hole. Someone had pleasant memories of "a-hole-in-one" thanks to those two jokesters.
  Dad planned to do many things when he retired but unfortunately he developed Hodgkins disease and, though a brief remission allowed him to go to Florida with mother for the winter, he died on Labor Day 1967, only 62 years old. It has been hard for me to picture him as that rugged athletic man I had known all my life, as the cancer caused him to slowly waste away and for years those last images are the ones that remained. His courage and deep faith throughout his life and especially during that last period makes me think of him whenever I hear or read St Paul`s letter to Timothy (2 Timothy chapt 4 vs. 6-7), "...I am being poured out as a libation and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.." True, Dad, you did; but the race was too short !!
  "Do not stand by my grave and weep ... I am not there; I do not sleep. When you awaken in the morning's hush, I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds circling in flight. Do not stand by my grave and cry ... I am not there. I did not die. " -- Royster
  Vermont Death Records, 1909-2008 Vermont Death Records, 1909-2008 Name: Gerald H. Rice Gender: Male Birth Date: Jan 1905 Birth Location: Bellows Falls, VT Death Date: 2 Sep 1967 Death Location: Windsor, Windsor Cause Of Death: Carcinomaiosis Veteran: Non applicable Residence: Windsor, Vermont Spouse's name: Evelyn J. Rice Mother's Maiden Name: Beaudette Mother's Name: Grace Father's Name: Henry Rice Date Filed: 06 Sep 1967 Vital Event Type: Certificate of Death
  Source Information: Vermont Death Records, 1909-2008 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Operations, Inc., 2010. Original data: Vermont. Vermont Death Records, 1909-2003. Vermont State Archives and Records Administration, Montpelier, Vermont. Vermont. Vermont Death Records, 2004-2008. Vital Records Office, Vermont Department of Health, Burlington, Vermont. is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.