"Deacon William Ward
Deacon William Ward was also known as William Warde. He was born about 1603 in Yorkshire or Derbyshire, England.2,3 He was the son of Edward Ward. 1 About 1638 in England William married Elizabeth unknown. Elizabeth being his second wife.4,2 Deacon William Ward and Elizabeth unknown immigrated about 1638 to Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, probably during the Spring.4,2,5 Deacon William Ward lived in 1639 in Sudbury, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.6,7 He was granted land on 18 November 1640 in Sudbury, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, the grant was recorded as 18 (9) 1640.8,9 He became a freeman on 10 May 1643 in Sudbury, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.6,10,11,4 ,2,7 He served in 1644 in Sudbury, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, as Representative to the Massachusetts General Court.10,8,4,2,12,7 He served as chairman of the Board of Selectman from Sudbury for several years. He and Deacon Edmund Rice served in 1646 in Sudbury, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, as Commissioners to End Small Causes.2 Deacon William Ward in 1656; signed the petition to the General Court for the Town of Marlborough.12,8 He was granted land in 1657 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. He and Elizabeth unknown lived in 1661 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.4,3,2 Deacon William Ward deposed on 4 October 1664 in Sudbury, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, giving his age as about 61 years. The deposition was dated 4 (8) 1664.6,3 He was one of the founders of the church and was made a Deacon at that time in 1666.4 He served in 1666 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, as a Representative to the Massachusetts General Court.4 William's home was designated a garrison house, with his son Samuel's and his daughter, Hannah's families assigned to that garrison on 1 October 1675.2 He left a will on 6 April 1686 in Sudbury, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.6,8,7,13 He died on Sunday, 10 August 1687 in Marlborough, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.6,10,11,8 ,4,12,7 Ward (1851) adds one more child, Mary. He derived this from the second wife of Daniel Stone, however "Ward" was her married name, not her maiden name.7"
"Ward Family History
SEARCHES FAMILY TREES MAILING LISTS MESSAGE BOARDS
~ THE WARD FAMILY ~ Some of the Wards were early in Marlborough, William Ward himself moved there for good in the early spring of 1661. The family constituted quite a colony in itself. There were father William "of Sudbury" and mother Elizabeth; their four big sons--Obadiah, twenty-nine years old, Richard, twenty-six, Samuel, nineteen, and Increase, sixteen; Elizabeth, a girl of eighteen, and Hopestill, of fourteen; and three children- William, twelve; Eleazer, eleven; and Bethiah, two. With them came one of the three married daughters, Deborah Johnson. Hannah How joined them soon after. The records are incomplete so we cannot tell how many children the married daughters brought with them, but Hannah had three at all events. Only John and Joanna were missing. Joanna had married Abraham Williams and lived in Cambridge. One other defection came in the fall when Richard married Mary Moores of Sudbury and returned there, his Marlborough grant reverting to Samuel. The loss was balanced later by Joanna and her husband and a child or two joining the plantation.
Richard's marriage was followed in a few months by the marriage of Elizabeth to John Howe, Jr., son of John Howe--the latter, like Ward, being one of the founders of both Sudbury and Marlborough. The total number of residents, including children, was about a hundred. Ward's big house-lot was excellently situated. Its northeast corner faced the settlement's first meeting- house, soon after erected, and the town's main read was laid out to run along its northern boundary. Opposite, across the main road, west of the meeting-house, was the minister's plot. The meeting-house was built just within the southerly end of the Indian planting-field before title to its site had been secured, and the purchase of the site from an Indian by the name of Anamaks provided only a bare ten feet of ground around the building, so Ward deeded to the town about half an acre of that part of his house-lot directly opposite.
The town "gratefully accepted" and ordered "first yt the sd William Ward shall have liberty to cutt & carry away all the wood & timber that is upon ye same: 2ly That hee shall bee satisfyed to his content in any other part of the Towne (not yett granted) in liew thereof: & 3ly it is ordrd that this peice of Land now by him surrendred into the Towns hands as before sd shall lye for A perpetuall common or Highway not to bee taken upp by any, or othrwaise disposed of, without the consent of every Proprietor that hath Towne Rights."
This plot is part of the present High School Common. The house that Ward built was near the end of the present Hayden Street, a few steps from the library, where the home of Mr. John E. Hayes now stands. Its site was selected because of an abundant spring near by. A much more commodious dwelling it was than the first log cabin in Sudbury. Similar rough-hewn logs formed its frame, but it was shingle-roofed, clapboarded outside, and boarded within, contained several rooms, and had a cellar. The fields behind are now Marlborough property and are being converted into the town's fine new recreation center--with running track, football gridiron, baseball diamonds, &c.--named "The Artemas Ward Playground" in joint memory of General Artemas Ward, the great grandson of William Ward, and of his great-grandson and namesake, Mr. Artemas Ward, the publisher of the volume.
As would be expected, Ward was prominent in Marlborough affairs. He was continuously a selectman, and a deacon of the church from the time of its organization, and his house was frequently chosen for the midweek meetings which became a feature of the township's religious life. The deacons constituted a general committee for the management of church affairs and to assist the minister in his duties, one of them taking his place when he was ill or absent. During divine service they sat in a special pew near the pulpit. Ward probably held other township offices, but the records from 1665 to 1739 disappeared many years ago. He was also frequently selected to represent Marlborough on the county grand jury, and in 1666 was again in Boston as a deputy.
Deacon William Ward was born born 1603 in England. He married Elizabeth Phillipus near 1638 in England. He died on 10 August 1687 in Marlborough, Massachusetts. William and Elizabeth immigrated about 1638 to Boston, Massachusetts. He removed to Sudbury, Massachusetts about 1639. He was granted land November 18,1640 in Sudbury, Massachusetts, and became a freeman on 10 May 10,1643 while in Sudbury. He was Representative to the Massachusetts General Court in 1644 for the town and served as chairman of the Board of Selectman from Sudbury for several years. He was Commissioner to End Small Causes in 1646. In 1656, he was one of the petitionors to the General Court for the Town of Marlborough and was granted land in 1657 in Marlborough.
Not far from our Soldiers Monument stood, well remembered for many years, an old house which it is believed was one of the very oldest in our town. On this site William Ward, Sr., and his son William [he was grandfather of Artemus Ward, the latter of whom at the opening of the Revolution in 1775 was appointed General and Commander-in-Chief of all the forces raised by the Colony and had command of the troop., at Cambridge till superseded by Washington] erected a house which tradition tells us was used as a fort or Garrison during the days of the Indian warfare. It was to this place the people fled when the first church was burnt to the ground by the Indians. Mr. Ward was the first Deacon of the first religious society organized here.
A portion of the old Ward house was destroyed by fire in early years and the loss was the immediate cause of Nahum Ward's removing to the newly granted land of Shrewsbury. The place passed into the hands of Joseph Ward who occupied it until it was again burnt. At time of the fire the house of Rev. Breck stood within 30 rods and came near igniting as some of the cinders lodged upon his roof. That same year the house was rebuilt, and as time went on was known as the "Bonney'" Hayden house. NOTE: Star indicates WARD/HAYDEN house location on map of 1835.
He and Elizabeth lived in Marlborough as early as 1661. He was one of the founders of the church and was made Deacon in 1666 as well as a Representative to the Massachusetts General Court for the town. William's home was designated a garrison house, with his son Samuel's and his daughter, Hannah's families assigned to that garrison on 1 October 1675. His will was dated April 6, 1686 and made in Sudbury.
Obadiah Ward, son of William Ward and Elizabeth, immigrated with Deacon William Ward about 1638 to Boston, Massachusetts; probably during the Spring. He lived in 1653 in Sudbury, Massachusetts where he had land assigned to him in Sudbury, Mass., on his coming of age in 1653.. He was granted land in 1657 in Marlborough, Massachusetts and was as early as 1661 in Marlborough, Massachusetts. Obadiah was one of three men contracted to erect the frame for the minister's house. He was a lawyer, or at least is so appears, as it was he who bought the case against Thomas Rice for non payment of assessments on 6 April 1664 in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He served on 9 May 1689 in Marlborough, Massachusetts, as the Delegate to the Council for Safety of the People and Conservation of the Peace and served again on 22 May and 5 June 1689. He served between 1690 and 1691 in Marlborough, Massachusetts, as a Representative to the Massachusetts General Court for Marlborough. He was a delegate to the Council for Safety of the People and Conservation of the Peace, May 9 and 22, and June 5, 1689 and a representative at the General Court 1690-1691 during the critical period intervening between the forcible deposition of Governor Andros and the convening of the General Court under the new charter.This was the period between the removal of Governor Andros and the new Royal Charter.
Richard Ward son of William Ward and Elizabeth, settled in Sudbury. He died on 31 March 1666 by drowning in the Sudbury River. After his death, William Ward and his wife were appointed guardians of the children during their minority. He was buried in April 1666 in Marlborough, Massachusetts. Richard immigrated with Deacon William Ward and Elizabeth about 1638 to Boston, Massachusetts. He was granted land in 1657 in Marlborough, Massachusetts and also was granted land on 26 November 1660 in Sudbury, Massachusetts, of 18 acres. He lived at Marlborough, Massachusetts, in 1661 with Deacon William Ward and Elizabeth. He became a freeman in 1664.
Deborah Ward daughter of William Ward and Elizabeth, married John Johnson and settled in Marlborough where John was one of the early pioneers.
Hannah Ward daughter of William Ward and Elizabeth, married Abraham How, and lived at Marlborough, Massachusetts, in 1661 with Deacon William Ward and Elizabeth (--?--).20,21,22 She and Abraham How lived after 9 April 1661 in Marlborough, Massachusetts. She left a will on 1 June 1717 in Marlborough, Massachusetts.
Capt. Samuel Ward son of William Ward and Elizabeth, married Sarah Howe. He later married Elizabeth Beers, daughter of Capt. Richard Beers, on 25 May 1710. Samuel took the Oath of Fidelity in 1662 in Sudbury, Massachusetts and served between 1679 and 1680 in Sudbury, Massachusetts, as a Representative to the Massachusetts General Court.
His house-lot was west of the Indian line, and probably near the old John Gleason place. Under him, succeeding his father, the original "WilliamWard" house (i.e., the remaining structure on the original site) was frequently the place of the midweek church meetings and also the recognized abode of visiting and temporary ministers. During the intermittent French and Indian wars from 1689 to 1713, it was a garrison-house as during King Philip's War. In his will dated May 22, 1727, Samuel Ward says he is "well stricken in years and crazy in body, but of perfect mind, and memory," His will was contested on Probate Court, December 19, 1729, by all his children and heirs (except his son Samuel, the chief beneficiary in virtue of a concurrent agreement to care for him and his wife during their lives) on the ground that he was crazy in mind as well as in body. At length the heirs agreed among themselves touching his will, and desired the judge to approve it.
Elizabeth Ward daughter of Samuel Ward and Sarah Howe, married Ensign Nathaniel Hapgood, son of Shadrack Hapgood and Elizabeth Treadway. She died on 5 November 1748 in Stow, Massachusetts, at age 76. She was living in 1741 as a widow and left a will on 25 February 1741/42. Her will gave Nathaniel, her eldest son, �20; Hezekiah, her second son, �10; Shadrach, her third son, �30; Daniel, her fourth son, �10; Sarah Gates, her second daughter, half of the remainder of the estate; and to her grandchildren, Elizabeth and Lucy Gates, the other half in equal shares. Her estate was valued at �626 7/.
Elizabeth Ward daughter of William Ward and Elizabeth, married John Howe, she later married Capt. Henry Kerley, son of William Kerley and Hannah King, on 18 April 1677 in Charlestown, Massachusetts. The marriage was recorded as 18 (2) 1677. She lived at Marlborough, Massachusetts, in 1661 with Deacon William Ward and Elizabeth. She was on 21 April 1676 in Sudbury, Massachusetts, when the family was attacked by Indians.During the attack her first husband was killed and the house destroyed. None of the children were killed however.
Increase Ward son of William and Elizabeth, married Record Wheelock, daughter of Rev. Ralph Wheelock and Rebecca Wilkerson, on 3 October 1672 in Medfield, Massachusetts. According to the marriage intentions filed, he was living in Shrewsbury, Mass. at the time of his wedding. He is buried in Spring Hill Cemetery, Marlborough, Massachusetts, His gravestone is the oldest Ward stone in the cemetery. He lived at Marlborough, Massachusetts, in 1661 with Deacon William Ward and Elizabeth. Increase and Record Wheelock lived in 1673 in Marlborough, Massachusetts in that part of Marlborough, which in 1717, became Westborough and later Northborough where he ran a saw mill. He was mentioned in the will of Deacon William Ward on 6 April 1686 in Sudbury, Massachusetts. Increase served in 1689 in Marlborough, Massachusetts, as Town Clerk.
The gravestone above is that of Increase Ward and is in the Springhill Cemetery.
Hopestill Ward daughter of William Ward and Elizabeth, married Deacon James Woods, son of John Woods and Mary Parminter, on 22 April 1678 in Marlborough, Massachusetts. They settled in Marlborough. She was also called Bethiah in the Middlesex County records of the births of her children and in the Marlborough record of Bethiah's birth. She lived in 1661 with Deacon William Ward and Elizabeth. Hopestill left a will circa 1717 in which ahe gave �5 for the relief of poor members of the church.
William Ward son of William Ward and Elizabeth, married Hannah Brigham, daughter of Thomas Brigham and Mercy Hurd, on 4 August 1679 in Marlborough, Massachusetts, Ward (1851) gives their marriage date as 4 September 1679. He lived in 1661 with Deacon William Ward and Elizabeth. William lived after 1680 south of the meetinghouse.
Eleazer Ward son of William Ward and Elizabeth, was killed by Indians while riding on Mount Ward between Sudbury and Marlborough during King Philip's War. The hill, Mount Ward, was named for him. He Is buried in Marlborough, Massachusetts. He lived in 1661 with Deacon William Ward and Elizabeth. The picture to the left was taken in early 1900 and show Mt. Ward as it appeared at that time. The pond in the lower right is that which was once behind the restaurant which is on Rout 20.
Bethiah Ward daughter of William Ward and Elizabeth, married Daniel Rice, son of Deacon Edward Rice and Agnes 'Ann' Bent, on 10 January 1681 in Marlborough, Massachusetts. Hudson (1862), Ward (1851) and Ward (1858) give the marriage date as 10 February 1681 which appears to be in error. She lived in 1661 with Deacon William Ward and Elizabeth. Bethia and Daniel Rice had their house fortified as a garrison house between 1711 and 1713.
Artemus Ward son of General Artemus Ward�.. The Artemus Ward house was situated on the Corner of Concord Road and Rout 20 (East Main St). It was built in 1785 by two brothers with the last name of "Easton". It was sold four years later to Artemus Ward. The house was set 100 fett from the road on a hill with beautiful terraced lawns and a gravel driveway. It was a broad gabled house with white clapboards, fine dentil mouldings in the cornice and a shingled roof. A gabled portico with dentil moulding set it apart from it's more modern neighbors.
The house to the left is that of General Artemus Ward, father of Artemus of Marlborough. The house is located in Shrewsbury, Mass.. Gen. Artemus Ward was the first Commander and Chief of the Continental Army before General George Washington.
Josiah Ward, son of Phinihas and Mary Ward,commanded a company in 1774, and 1776, and was on the alarm list of Henneker. He died in Henneker, New Hampshire.
Jabez Ward, son of Jabez and Phebe Eager, served as a Private in Captain Wheeler's Company. The Company went to New York on an Alarm. He died in New Marlboro, Mass.
Jedediah Ward, son of Jabez and Phebe Eager, was a Major in Colonel Ashley, Jr.'s 1st Berkshire Regiment of Massachusetts. He was born and died in Marlboro, Mass.
Back to Family Histories
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids
"Sudbury's First Settlers 1638 , Sudbury and Watertown, Massachusetts Bay Colony
From the book "The history of Sudbury, Massachusetts, 1638-1889"
In 1637, it was proposed that a company proceed westerly, and settle at what is now Sudbury. The reason for starting this settlement was, as the petitioners state in their paper, " straitness of accommodation, and want of more meadow."
Going westerly, they could obtain both these objects ; for, bordering on the mother town was a territory through which ran a large stream, with abundance of fresh water marsh. But though the plan of settlement originated in Watertown, not all of those who carried it into effect were inhabitants of that place. To a large extent, the settlers came direct from England. Bond, the historian of that town, says, " Only a small proportion of the names of the early grantees of Sudbury are on the Watertown records ; and some who went there returned. Some, whose names are on the records of both places, were either residents of Sudbury but a very short time, or, it may be, never lived there at all." The explanation of this may be, first, that the plantation was not proposed because all the petitioners designed to make it their permanent home, but that it might be an outlet to an over-populous place. Watertown, it was considered, had too many inhabitants. The emigrants of ship after ship, as they arrived at these shores, went to the older places ; and this led to what was called "straitness of accommodation." New land would present greater allurements to the new comers, and the earlier settlers would thus be left undisturbed in their original estates.
Secondly, speculative purposes may have led some to engage in the scheme for the Sudbury settlement. More or less doubtless enlisted in the enterprise designing to transfer their titles to others, as fresh emigrants came to the country. Sharing with the residents of the settlement the expense of the undertaking, they had a right to convey the lands that were allotted them, and receive such compensation therefore as their increased value might bring. Thus, while the plan of the settlement of Sudbury originated at Watertown, and some of the settlers came from there, yet largely, as we have said, it was settled by emigration direct from England. Most or all of the names of the earlier settlers have been preserved, and are repeatedly given in connection with land divisions prior to the close of 1640.
From the town records we have compiled the following list of the early grantees or settlers, who went to the Sudbury Plantation about 1638 or 1639: Mr. William Pelham, Mr. Edmund Browne, Mr. Peter Noyse, Bryan Pendleton, Walter Haine, John Haine, John Blandford, Hugh Griffyn, Edmond Good no we, Robert Beast, Thomas Noyse, Thomas Browne, Robert Darnill, William Browne, Thomas Goodnow, John Freeman, Solomon Johnson, William Ward, Richard Newton, John Howe, George Munnings, Anthony Whyte, Andrew Belcher, John Goodnowe, John Reddock, Thomas Whyte, John Knight, William Parker, John Parm enter, Senior, Edmond Rice, Henry Rice, Wyddow Buffumthyte, Henry Curtis, John Stone, John Parmenter, Jim., John Rutter, John Toll, Henry Loker, John Wood, John Loker, Widow Wright, John Bent, Nathaniel Treadaway, Robert Hunt, Widow Hunt, John Maynard, Joseph Tain tor, Robert Fordum, or Fordham, Thomas Joslyn, or Jslen, Richard Sanger, Richard Bildcome, Robert Davis, Henry Prentiss, Wm. Kerly, Thomas Hoyte, Thomas Flyn
Of the Sudbury settlers who once lived in Watertown, we have the following names : Robert Betts (Beast), Thomas Cakebread, Henry Curtis, Robert Daniel (Darnell), John Grout, Solomon Johnson, John Knight, George Munnings, William Parker, Bryan Pendleton, Richard Sanger, Joseph Tainter, Anthony White, Goodman (John) Wetherell, Na-aniel Treadaway,John Stone. "
"City of Marlborough, MA140 Main St., Marlborough, MA 01752
�Wee have found a place which lieth westw...."A petition was presented to the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in May 1656 for the right to start a new plantation by thirteen men then residents of the Town of Sudbury. They were Edmond Rice and two of his sons, Edward and Henry Rice, John Howe, John Ruddocke, John Bent and his son Peter Bent, William Ward, John Woods, John Maynard, Thomas Goodenow, Thomas King and Richard Newton. The next year, 1657, the names of John Rediat, Solomon Johnson, John Johnson, Samuel Rice, Thomas Rice, Peter King and Christopher Banister became proprietors. By 1660, when house lots were apportioned to he proprietors, the names of Kerley, Barnes, Belcher, Bellows, Rutter, Barrett, Holmes, Axtell, William Brimsmead and Jonathan Johnson appear, in all a total of thirty-eight land owners. The last two, William Brimsmead and Jonathan Johnson, were respectively the minister and the blacksmith, each being given a 30-acre lot as inducement to settle in the new plantation. The size of the house lots ranged from 50 acres down to 16 acres, and the wealth, ability to improve the land, as well as active participation in the founding of the settlement were considerations in determining the house lot size for each individual. The fifty acre men were Edmond Rice, William Ward, John Ruddock and John Howe.Of these, William Ward and John Ruddocke, could have come from or been closely connected to Marlborough in Wiltshire in Old England, some seventy miles west of London. Rice came from Hartfordshire thirty miles north of London and Howe maybe from Warwickshire seventy miles northwest of London. Nearly all of the 38 first settlers listed above were born in England and were staunch adherents of the Puritan Church. Many of them brought wives and families with them. All seem to have had some schooling. John Howe was the first to locate on the new English Plantation and was probably here in 1656, possibly earlier. He seems to have been a fur trader and built a home of sorts at the intersection of two Indian trails - the Nashua Path which lead to the north, and the Connecticut going west. His land abutted both the Indian�s Planting Field and the hill called Whipsuppenike where the Indians had had their town. He also kept an inn where English travelers and traders could stop when enroute through Marlborough. A house now stands on the site of his original dwelling between Bolton Street and Stevens Street and southerly from Union Street. This house was erected by children and grandchildren of John Howe but has, over the centuries undergone transformations so that its appearance of antiquity has disappeared.John Howe could speak the Indian language, as could several of the early settlers, and in turn the Indians could speak some English. Across what is now Bolton Street from John Howe�s dwelling was the Indian Planting Field and legend has it that a pumpkin vine rooted in one Indian�s planting patch grew over and produced a fine pumpkin on a neighbor�s plot. Whose fruit was it? The question was taken to John Howe. He looked over the situation and took his knife and cut the pumpkin in two, giving each Indian a half. This judgment in the manner of Solomon impressed the Indians as being eminently fair and satisfying.The Indian�s Planting Field, situated as it was just south of the main division line between the Indian�s 6000 acre Town and the English Plantation, disturbed the English, and they wished to acquire it, but as it was the Indians� most valued possession of ancient development, they on the advice of Rev. John Eliot, refused to relinquish it. As a compromise, and hopeful of future possession, the English set up their first house lots and built their first houses in a grand semicircle, or crescent, bordering the Indians� Field. This was not only entirely due to the covetousness of the English, but the land was some of the best in the 72 square miles of the plantation, but had many small streams of water, and a fair amount of open meadow and also was the nearest to Sudbury and served by main line Indian trails.John Howe�s trading post was at the northeastern end of the semi-circular housing development, and John Ruddocke�s framed house at the northwestern end on what is now Mechanic Street a short way beyond Elm Street. The other first houses to the number seven or eight were widely spaced in between these two. At about where the Old Post Office stands the settlers built in 1661 a house of Rev. William Brimsmead which was to be a feet and a story and a half high with dormer windows on the second floor. Christopher Banister, Obadiah Ward and Richard Barnes were the builders. Near this house for the minister, in 1662 the Town built a small Meeting House, but by error this was erected on a corner of the Indian�s Planting Field on what is now the Old High School Common. Chief Onamog of the Indian group readily deeded to the Town that land covered by the Meeting House, plus ten feet all around it and enough land to reach what is now Main Street. In 1706 the Town acquired the remainder of what constitutes the Common and the old cemetery and Prospect Street, purchasing from the assigns of Daniel Gookin�s heirs.William Ward built off West Main Street on land that included Ward Park. Opposite the Meeting House, Jonathan Johnson built his blacksmith shop and home. Edmund Rice built where City Hall stands and John Woods to his east on Ames Place. John Maynard built on the southerly end of Howe Street. Others built on Hudson and Ash Streets, on Pleasant and South Streets and on constantly widening circle of homesteads around the core.The settlers surveyed the meadow lands and swamp lands, the latter often times covered with valuable growth of gigantic cedar trees. These lands they divided up, pro rata, in accordance with the size of the house lots. Uplands, also with good timber, were apportioned out. Many square miles of the area remained �common lands� for pasturage of cattle with a shepherd or cowherd in attendance, and also as reserves for future settlers. The �common lands� remained under the management of a group of citizens called �Proprietors� until 1796, they having control of unassigned lands, not only in Marlborough itself, but in Westborough, Northborough and Southborough which had been separated from Marlborough for 170 or more years.Of the 72 square miles that were set up by a committee of the General Court in 1656, the Towns of Westborough and Northborough were set off in 1717, and the Town of Southborough in 1725. The Indian Plantation of nearly ten square miles was annexed to Marlborough in 1716, and from this and a small area of original Marlborough territory the Town of Hudson was set off in 1866. Marlborough in 1660 adjoined Lancaster on the northwest, and the Indian Town on the north, but in every other way was bounded by unassigned land of the Colony. It was not until 1791 that a gore of land to the east was annexed to Marlborough so that the Town of Sudbury�s west line. When Framingham became a Town in 1700, it also abutted Marlborough�s east line. The annexation of the Indian Town brought Marlborough�s north boundary to the Town of Stow. Part of Lancaster eventually became Berlin, so that today the 22 square miles that comprise the City of Marlborough are bounded by Sudbury and Framingham on the east, Southborough on the south, Northborough on the southwest, Berlin on the northwest and Hudson on the north."
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.