Alice Ann Brocklebank: Death: 08 OCT 1899
Note: Census (1881): Childwall Hall Residents Bamber Gascoigne There were two 'lords of the manor' with this name, based at Childwall Hall. The original Bamber married, in 1756, Mary Greene, who had inherited Childwall Hall and land in Woolton and elsewhere. The Hall had been rebuilt and renamed by her father, Isaac. The second Bamber was MP for Liverpool from 1780-1796, and a leading light in the campaign to oppose all attempts to abolish slavery. A descendant of the family, Bamber Gascoigne, is well known in Britain as a TV presenter. Brocklebank In 1881, Ralph Brocklebank, ship owner became a tenant of the Hall. In 1947, the Hall was presented to the Council, but it had to be demolished because of dry rot. In 1955, a college was opened on the site. By 1863 another famous Liverpool name was resident at Childwall Hall - Ralph Brocklebank lived there until the late 19th century. General: The Brocklebanks The Brocklebanks are one of several families which link parks to the shipping trade so influential in the growth of Liverpool and in turn, the need for open space. Founded by David Brocklebank in 1770, the roots of the firm were in the privateering trade when their boats were armed with cannon and a letter of Marque from King George lll. Ships were built in New England and Whitehaven and by the late 18th century the Brocklebanks had important trade links with North America. In 1802 Thomas and John Brocklebank joined with a Mr Hebson and as this firm expanded they specialised initially in the South American trade and later voyages out east to Calcutta. By 1843 it was estimated that the value of the firms stocks of tea, sugar, etc, was more than �100,000 and by the middle of that decade Brocklebanks claimed to possess Britain's largest fleet - more than 50 vessels. About the time when Ralph Brocklebank moved to Childwall Hall his family firm closed their Whitehaven yard - at this time their fleet comprised 153 wooden ships. By the time of the firm's centenary in 1870 the fleet had been cut back to 23 vessels. They retained sail (as opposed to steam) until 1889, believing that efficiency and cost effectiveness was more important than speed. Finally, during the 1940's the famous Brocklebank line became part of the Cunard line which, a century earlier, Charles MacIver (later of Calderstones had done so much to nurture. Another Brocklebank, Sir Thomas, completed Springwood House in 1839 and was resident in that park (then an estate) until his death in 1906.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.