Note: with Roy, Arthur and Eva Henshall at Biarra. Roy was a kindly lad, like his mother, and each morning he would catch and saddle my pony, ready for me to ride to school. Roy was enrolled at the school, aged 5 on 19/1/1903, completing his education in December, 1911. The area his parents farmed was 80 acres, and as each child grew old enough, they would take employment locally. Title HENSHALL Roy : Service Number - 59 : Place of Birth - Biarra Qld : Place of Enlistment - Brisbane Qld : Next of Kin - (Mother) HENSHALL Janet McMurdy Series number B2455 Control symbol HENSHALL R 59 Contents date range circa 1914 - circa 1920 Access status Open Location National Office Barcode no 5395719 Roy enlisted in the army on 4/1/1916 - a month short of his 18th birthday. He was allotted army number 59 and the rank of trooper with the 14th light horse regiment. Roy embarked for England on the 13th May, 1916 and fought at Alexandria, Egypt . He returned home aboard the 'Ajana' on 17th October that same year, unfit for further service. He had been gassed and was suffering deafness. He was issued the british war medal. history of the 14th light horse: The Regiment was formed on the 27th of February 1860 when the first Governor of Queensland, Sir George Ferguson Bowen proclaimed and approved the Rules and Regulations of the Brisbane Mounted Rifles. In 1864 the unit was renamed the Queensland Light Horse. Under the 'Defence Act of 1884' there was a reorganisation and the unit name changed in 1885 to Moreton Mounted Infantry. In 1891 the Shearers Strike occurred in Queensland and a State of Emergency was declared. The Queensland Defence Force was called-out to re-establish and maintain civil order and discipline. One of the units called-out was the Moreton Mounted Infantry. The troops were placed on full time duty for five months and served in the Barcaldine, Clermont, Longreach and Charleville districts. One of the Mounted Infantry officers who served at this time was Captain Harry George Chauvel - later to become General Sir Harry Chauvel. As the strike wore on the light horsemen found themselves deployed on patrol in western Queensland for weeks on end. To maintain their mounted skills they took to chasing the emus that abounded in the region. To prove their horsemanship the light horseman were required to �pluck� the darker and smaller chest feathers of the emu while riding alongside it in full flight. The troopers would then place the feathers in the pugaree of their felt hats. When they returned home after the strike the Queensland Government allowed the Mounted Infantry to wear the emu plume in recognition of their service during the strike. At first it was solely a Queensland decoration, but in 1903 the privilege was extended to Tasmanian and South Australian regiments and finally, in 1915, to all the regiments of the Light Horse. It was also at this time that the emu was incorporated in the unit badge. In 1897 the Mounted Infantry were reorganised as the Queensland Mounted Infantry consisting of 11 companies. By 1901 the Queensland Mounted Infantry had been organised as a Brigade of four Battalions of some 20 companies with a strength of 1200 officers and men. On the 10th July 1899 the Premier of Queensland, the Honourable J.R. Dickson, offered troops to help Great Britain against the Boers in South Africa. This was the first offer of assistance made by any of the Australian Colonies. It was accepted and one company of Mounted Infantry was detailed for duty. In October 1899, the 1st Contingent of the Queensland Mounted Infantry (QMI) enlisted, outfitted and trained for service in the Boer War in South Africa. On the 28th of October 1899, the QMI marched through the City of Brisbane before departing for the War on the 1st of November 1899. On new year�s day 1900, a number of four man horse mounted reconnaissance patrols were scouting to the front and flanks of the main body to prevent an enemy ambush. Lieutenant Aide led one of these patrols consisting of Privates Herman, Butler, Rose and Jones. While riding along in open country, the patrol saw four Boers riding on their right. As Lieutenant Aide audaciously ordered the Boers to surrender twelve more enemy soldiers appeared and opened fire. Private Victor Jones was shot and died instantly. Lieutenant Aide was shot twice and his horse killed from under him. As the rest of the patrol came to his rescue, the Boers wounded another soldier and killed his horse. The small patrol struggled back to the main body in time to join the attack that was to become known as the Battle of Sunnyside. Amazingly, they had prevented a Boer encirclement. The major significance of this event is that Private V.S. Jones and Private D.C. McLeod, killed in Battle of Sunnyside, were the first Australian soldiers to die in battle. In the period following the Boer War the State forces were amalgamated to form the Commonwealth Military Forces. In the changes the four battalions of the QMI were reformed as the 13th, 14th and 15th Australian Light Horse Regiments (Queensland Mounted Infantry). King Edward VII awarded a King's Banner to each unit that served in the South African War and in 1904 each of the three Regiments of the QMI was represented in Melbourne where the Governor-General presented the banners. In 1908 each regiment was further awarded the Battle Honour "South Africa 1899-1900-1-2". With the introduction of compulsory military service the army was expanded and in 1912 the designation of the units of the QMI were again changed to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 27th Light Horse Regiments (QMI). During World War 1 these units continued to serve at home and in 1914 a volunteer expeditionary force, the Australian Imperial Force, was formed. The 2nd ALH served at Anzac on the Gallipoli Peninsula where it distinguished itself at Quinn's Post, Sari Bair and Suvla and later served in Egypt, Palestine and Syria. Some of the actions in which the Regiment took part included Romani, Charge of Magdhaba, Rafa, Gaza, Beersheba, Jerusalem, Megiddo and Jordan. A significant event in the unit�s history is the battle of Beersheba. This battle is well known due to the movie known as "The Lighthorsemen". On the 31st of October 1917, the unit played an important role in what has been commonly referred to "as the last great cavalry charge in history". Turkish forces were defending the town of Beersheba with heavy fortifications and prepared positions. The town itself contained water wells that were crucial for the continuation of the operation. Indeed, many of the horses had not been watered for twenty-four to forty-eight hours before the attack. If the town was not captured before sunset the Light Horse would have to turn back and seek water elsewhere. Having determined that the southwestern approach to Beersheba had the least opposition, General Harry Chauvel decided that he could not employ the normal Light Horse tactic of deploying on horseback, dismounting and attacking on foot. Chauvel decided the only path to success was with a full-blooded mounted charge. Amazingly, the Light Horse managed to overwhelm the Turkish defences resulting in the capture of the town. In July 1918 the 1st ANZAC Battalion of the Imperial Camel Corps, which had fount with the Desert Mounted Corps, became the 14th Australian Light Horse Regiment. They took part in the final offensive which overthrew the Turkish right flank in Palestine. On the 17th of August 1918 the units of the QMI underwent another change. The 1st, 3rd and 27th Light Horse Regiments became the 5th, 11th and 14th Light Horse Regiments (QMI). In 1930 as an economy measure, compulsory military service was abolished and the CMF reverted to voluntary service. As a result, 2nd Moreton Light Horse (QMI) and the 14th West Moreton Light Horse (QMI) were linked to form 2nd/14th Light Horse Regiment (QMI). He married Alma when he was just twenty years old, on the 20/7/1918 at St Paul's Church, Ipswich. His sisters Annie & Edith were witnesses. Roy was employed with the Qld Railways on 1/1/1918 as an engine cleaner, before his promotion to fireman on 14/7/1925. He died from a fractured skull and a cerebral haemmorghage, received when he either fell or jumped from the fifth floor of the Nambour Hospital where he was being treated for the affects of the gas from the war - which had affected his nervous system. There was no inquiry into his death. Annie's daughters said she was very close to her brother and terribly grieved at his passing, talking fondly of him throughout her life. Roy's grave was reopened for his brother Arthur, their mother Jane, taking the plot on the south side. There is a fence around the plot, three pegs, but no headstones. His burial peg number is A3836. He left five children, the youngest, Joan was only six months old at the time of Roy's death.
Note: In the reminiscences of Miss Molly Mears, she writes: I went to school
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.