Title: Baptism certificate provided by Smyly Homes, Ireland
Title: Simcoe Reformer - see URL below
Note: Grandma Charlotte Schott (McGrath) was born in Clashmore, Waterford County, Ireland on July 21, 1894, the second daughter of James McGrath and Charlotte Swaine. Baptism certificates for Charlotte and her older sister, Anne Eliza (Elizabeth) McGrath show they were both baptized by Charles Carroll, vicar of Clashmore, within days after their respective births. The girls were daughters of a "mixed" marriage, their father being Roman Catholic and their mother from the Church of Ireland. (See application for Irish Church Missions). Here is a url for the location of Clashmore, Ireland: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=Clashmore%20%2B%20Ireland&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl They lived with the Carroll family in the Glebe at Clashmore and we just recently matched a current photo of the home with a photo kept by Grandma all her life. Charlotte and Anne were admitted to Smyly Homes in Ireland in 1902 and lived at Birds' Nest in Kingstown. Their mother Charlotte McGrath (Swaine) applied Sept. 9, 1902 to place them in Smyly's, with the support of Miss Isabella Carroll. The application reads: "These are children of a mixed marriage, having been brought up in a clergyman's house (The Carrolls') where their mother had been a servant for many years. The resignation of the Rev. Charles Carroll and his leaving Clashmore from permanent ill health has deprived them of a home as his reduced income will not permit his continuing to keep them with their mother. Signed Miss Isabella Carroll". (See photo of the Clashmore Protestant Church, where Rev. Carroll was the vicar. The present structure was built in 1818 from a public gift of £800-15-4 1/2, with the last minister being a Rev. Carroll who lived at the Glebe House. Charlotte left Ireland and came to Canada in 1908 when she was just 14 years old, with her older sister Annie, on an ocean liner called the S.S. Tunisian that later sank in the First World War. Their mother had died in 1908 and was buried at Scarawalsh, Enniscorthy, County Wexford. (source: letter from their father James McGrath dated April 20, 1908). James and the Carrolls sent them from Ireland to Hespeler to live at the Coombe Home in Hespeler, a facility opened in 1905 and affiliated with Ireland-based Smyly Homes. The home, based at 152 Guelph Street in Hespeler, still exists today and is now an apartment building. Online records in the Canadian archives show that Charlotte and Annie left Liverpool April 30, 1908 on the SS Tunisian and arrived May 8, 1908 in Quebec. http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s2=McGrath&s3=&s7=&s4=&s 1=&Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect5=HCHIPEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=H CHI&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02011003_e.html&r=9& f=G Charlotte and Anne stayed in Hespeler for about a year before both Charlotte and Annie were placed with families in Simcoe, Ontario, where Charlotte worked as a housekeeper for H.H. Groff and their family. The 1911 census for Norfolk places Charlotte in the Groff home, as well as the Trafford family. (Lucy Trafford was the sister of Eileen/Ellen Groff, wife of Henry Harris Groff) http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=31686 (It's worth noting that one of Charlotte's daughters was named Lucy, while two of her boys were given the middle names Groff and Trafford) Annie also initially moved to Simcoe as well and lived with the Simpson family at 72 Talbot St. (source, letter from Smyly Homes and 1911 census for Norfolk County: http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=31763) By October, 1912, Annie has moved and was living with a Mrs. Scott in Waterloo. By November 1913, she was living with a Mrs. W. H. Hunter, in Brampton, Ontario. In October, 1912, Mr. George Tebbs, manager of the Coombe home in Hespeler, visited the Groff home in Simcoe and described Charlotte's situation as very satisfactory. (I'm currently researching connections with the Coombe and Smyly Orphan Homes, in particular the Hepesler home managed by George Tebbs: The following are sources related to that research: Grandma Schott referred to a Mr. Tebbs and this is the home referred to Grandma Schott in Hespeler. We only discovered this connection after reading an article in The Record, which described a book written about Smyly Homes and The Coombe in Hespeler. The story referred to Mr. Tebbs, who Grandma Schott had referred to in a 1985 interview when describing her move to Hespeler, from Ireland. For a detailed history of Smyly Homes, also please consult The Golden Bridge, a book that describes the emigration of children from Ireland to Canada during this period.) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Saturday June 17, 1905 The Globe and Mail page 6 Orphans for Ontario The Children are to be selected with care Will come from a number of homes in Dublin - Children will be under careful supervision when placed out An order in Council has been passed authorizing the Smyly Orphan Homes of Dublin, Ireland to bring out a number of selected children out annually for settlement in Ontario. These children will be brought from the following Dublin Institutions - the Girls' Home and the Elliott Home, on Townsend street; the Boys Home on Canal Street; the Coombe Boys Home and the Birds Nest at Kingstown. A fine residential property at Hespeler has been purchased as the Ontario Distributing center and Mr. and Mrs. George Tebbs will take up their residence there and maintain supervision after the children are placed out. A small party of boys will be brought our this fall, but chiefly to help in preparing the receiving home for the children who will come out in the spring. The application was approved and recommended by Mr. J J Kelso, Superintendent of the Neglected Children Department. A link to the 1911 census page for the Hespeler distributing home for the Irish orphans http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1911a/e082/e002033610.pdf ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Young Immigrants to Canada UWInfo | Young Immigrants | 19th Century Immigration | Genealogy | Local History Smyly Homes of Dublin, Ireland In 1852 Mrs. Smyly began her work with the poor in Dublin, Ireland. With the assistance of Reverend Alexander Dallas, she started a day school for the children where they were given a meal and taught a rudimentary education and the Scriptures. Soon a home for boys was opened followed by one for girls. Later the Bird's Nest was opened to house infants. Several other homes followed until about 1,000 children were being cared for by Mrs. Smyly. Starting in the 1870s Smyly Homes of Dublin sent some of their children to Canada with the Annie Macpherson organization. The children were first sent to Macpherson's home in Belleville and in Galt, Ontario. Later, when the Galt home was moved to Stratford, they were sent there. In 1905 Miss Annie Smyly, the daughter of the founder, came to Stratford to visit with some of the homes former charges. She was joined there by her sister, Ellen. Ellen began to investigate the possibility of opening a home of their own. A home was purchased in Hespeler, Ontario, not far from Stratford where the children would continue to arrive. The home was the former residence of Jacob Hespeler, after whom the town had been named. There were several acres of land attached to the property and a large garden and orchard were started. (The home is still there and is now apartments. Local organizations have tried to have the property declared an historical building due to the association with Jacob Hespeler.) Mr. George W. Tebbs was the superintendent of the home. He arrived in August of 1905, on board the S.S. Virginian, with the first group of children, who still came in the Macpherson parties. When Mr. Tebbs decided to become an Anglican minister, he was replaced in 1913 by Arthur P. Pullam who, like himself, had worked in the Smyly homes in Dublin. Children continued to come to Canada until the out break of war in 1914. After the war a few more children were sent but in 1917 the home was turned over to the Children's Aid Society and the immigration of Irish orphans ceased. Several of the lads from the Coombe enlisted and lost their lives in World War I. Their names were published in the Waterloo Historical Society annual volume of 1923. They were: John Birch, William Duffy, Robert Ingham, Robert Skuse, James Burke, John Douglas, Stephen Gough, James Gough (brother of Stephen), James Keith, Sam McCaw, Neville Oldfield, Andy Smith, Dick Williams, William Perkins, William Roberts, John Sims and Harold Sweeny. Source: http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/genealogy/children/Organizations/smyly.html ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.