(Anna) Jane GALBRAITH: Birth: 1825 in County Tyrone, Ireland. Death: 27 JUN 1877 in Warkworth, Percy Township, Northumberland Cty, ON, Canada
Note: Clan Galbraith from the www.clangalbraith.org website The name Galbraith probably originates from the Britons of the Kingdom of Strathclyde which did not become part of Scotland until 1124. The first recorded chief of the Galbraiths appears in the 12th century, he married a daughter of Alwyn Og, son of Muireadhach, 1st Earl of Lennox. The fourth chief Sir William Galbraith married a daughter of the Black Comyn, he was one of the Co-Regents of Scotland in 1255. His son Sir Aurthur married a daughter of Sir James Douglas and fought with Bruce. The chiefship passed out of the main line to the Galbraiths Strathendrick, a cadet branch at the end of the 14th century. The Galbraiths were always closely linked to the Earls of Lennox and lent their support at the time when James I returned to Scotland from England and murdered his own kinsmen. The chief at the time is said to have aided in the raid of Dunbarton in 1425 and afterwards fled to Kintrye and Gigha escaping from the King. The 12th Chief, Thomas again took up arms with Lennox after the murder of James III in 1488, however after the defeat of Talla Moss, Thomas was captured and hanged in 1489. Andrew, the 14th Chief also partook with the Lennoxes when they attempted to rescue the young King James V from the Douglases in 1426. During the 16th century the 17th Chief of the Galbraiths, Robert, was renowned for his misdeeds, including the attempted murder of his brother-in-law to whom he owed money and the abuse of his power to pursue the Clan Gregor to attack the chief of MacAulay who had married his widowed mother against his will. Finally he was denounced a rebel and fled to Ireland sometime before 1642. His heir James, 18th chief was the last traceable member of the line. The Galbraiths who moved to Gigha held the island for the MacDonalds of the Isles till after 1590 but later took their protection. The following is by James Pringle Weavers from the www.clangalbraith.org website GALBRAITH: Rendered in Gaelic, "Mac a'Bhreatnnaich" (son of the Briton), this description is in accord with the fact that the name is associated from an early date with the ancient kingdom of Strathclyde which had its capital at Dumbarton ('The fortress of the Britons'). It is conjectured that their early chiefs were of the royal house of Strathclyde and by such ancestry they had close affinity with, or married into, the family of the Celtic Earls of Lennox. In the 13th century they appear frequently in Lennox charters, at which time their stronghold was the island of Inchgalbraith in Loch Lomond. In the same century the chief married the sister of the powerful 'Black Comyn', but took part against him in the removal of the young Alexander III from his grasp. His son, the next chief, married a sister of 'The Good Sir James' Douglas, renowned for taking Bruce's heart on crusade. A branch of the family acquired the castle and lands of Culcreuch near Fintry in Stirlingshire about 1320 and later that century this line inherited the chiefship. Culcreuch thereafter became the principal 'duthus' and a few cadet families became established in the surrounding area, notably at Balgair and Black house. Although the 13th chief was hanged by the King in 1489 they remained a 'clan' until 1622 when the chief, having made a life-threatening gesture against his brother-in-law to whom he was in debt, was denounced a rebel. He sold up and went to Ireland leaving the line represented by Balgair and Blackhouse. The chief's departure may have caused some of his kin to align themselves with neighbouring clans such as the Buchanans and Macfarlanes. Earlier, following the defeat of an uprising in the Lennox, some Galbraiths settled in Macdonald lands in Kintrye where they founded the houses of Drumore and Macrihanish. some also settled on Gigha, which they held from the Macdonalds until after 1590, and this might explain why Galbraiths are sometimes given as 'septs' of Clan Donald. From the Introduction to The GALBRAITHS and the KOOTENAYS, Candace L. House, Vantage Press, NY, 1969 The Galbraith family originally came from Culcruch County, Dumbarton and Lennox in Scotland, where they were found as early as the 12th century, and are related to the MacDonalds and MacFarlanes. Arms were granted to James Galbraith in Ireland in 1813, which is a shield divided vertically, the right side blue and left side red. On the shield is a silver trefoil, or shamrock, in the middle with two boars' heads above it and one below it. The Crest is a gold boar's head. The family motto is 'Quod ero spero/' The name meant a stranger or foreigner, especially a foreign Briton. The Galbraiths loved horses and riding. From the Modified Register for James Galbraith by Russ McGillivray The Galbraith family was from Inverness. James was private secretary to Archbishop Magee, Dublin and a professor in the Royal School at Raphoe, County Donegal. Candace House says that James was rector of the Church of England in Belfast and had a lovely estate in Belfast. From an e-mail dated 03 Sep 2005 William Galbreath, Genealogist, Clan Galbraith Association writes "Edwin Galbraith discusses James and Rosanna (Thompson) Galbraith on our Library CD #5, File 13, p. 43. Edwin writes that daughter Anna Jane Galbraith was first married to Thomas Baker. Our long-time members Ilsa Wollman descends from that marriage. Members Judy Thompson and Patricia Reed both descend from Anna Jane's older brother Alexander."
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.