Note: FROM "History of Kossuth County", pp. 87-88: William E. McDonald is junior partner of the firm of Pettibone &McDonald, dealers in agricultural implements and machinery, and is nowclassed with the representative and successful men of Kossuth county, hisenergy bringing him a measure of success that is most gratifying. He wasborn October 3, 1873, in Portland township, this county, his parentsbeing Joseph D. and Nancy I. (Young) McDonald, in whose family were fivesons and one daughter. The father was a farmer of Illinois but at thetime of the Civil war put aside all business considerations and enlistedin the One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Illinois Regiment, with which heserved for over three years, or until he was mustered out. His regimentconstituted a part of Sherman�s army on the march to the sea and tookpart in various other campaigns. After the war Mr. McDonald returned toIllinois and then removed to Kossuth county, securing a homestead claimon section 8, Portland township. Not a furrow had been turned or animprovement made upon the place but with characteristic energy he beganits development and as the years went by converted the wild prairie landinto productive fields. He died in 1891 and is still survived by hiswife, who is now residing in Santa Barbara, California. William E. McDonald was educated in the schools of Kossuth county andin the Iowa Business College of Des Moines. His father removed to Burt,this county, and after his death William E. McDonald took up the hardwareand lumber business at that place, continuing in that line of trade therefor six years. On the expiration of that period he sold out and wasappointed by S. P. Christenson to the office of deputy sheriff of thecounty. He served in that capacity for four years, or from 1897 until1901, when he was elected sheriff and served for five years, holding theposition from 1901 to 1906. He then became bookkeeper for the AlgonaMilling & Grain Company, with which he continued through 1907 and 1908,at the end of which time he formed a partnership for the sale ofagricultural implements and machinery under the flrm name of Pettibone &McDonald. He is still a member of the firm and the business has nowassumed large and profitable proportions. What he has accomplishedrepresents the fit utilization of the innate powers which are his. He hasmade wise use of his time and talents and the years, busily spent, havebrought him a measure of success which places him with the substantialresidents of this part of the state. In July, 1897, Mr. McDonald was united in marriage to Miss Adell C.Coffin, a daughter of C. S. Coffin, of Burt, one of the old settlers ofKossuth county, in which Mrs. McDonald was born. By her marriage she hasbecome the mother of two children: Sherwood D., born in February, 1903;and William Dale, in June, 1905. The social element in Mr. McDonald�s nature finds expression in hismembership in the Odd� Fellows lodge of Algona, in Prudence Lodge, No.174, A. F. & A. M., Prudence Chapter, No. 70, R. A. M., and ErnestCouncil, No. 17, R. & S. M. He is loyal to the teachings of thefraternity, exemplifying in his life the beneficent spirit of the craft,which is based upon mutual helpfulness and brotherly kindness. There havebeen no unusual or exciting chapters in his life record. He has worked onpersistently day after day and year after year, knowing that perseveranceand diligence are the basis of success.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.