Note: By Alice Mack Turner: Grandpa Ryan died in a fire on March 21, 1919 in his home on James Street in Kansas City, Kansas. For many years afterward, I had nightmares about it. I just couldn�t get the sight of his black burned body out of my mind. Grandpa suffocated to death one night when he had gone to sleep with his pipe in his mouth. The woolen blankets had smoldered and he was overcome with smoke and couldn�t get out of bed. His dog Brownie died in the fire too. When the firemen found the little dog she still had a piece of blanket in her mouth. Brownie was written up as a hero trying to save her owner. She was buried in the casket with Grandpa. An anonymous neighbor sent a horseshoe shaped wreath of flowers for the dog�s funeral. For many years, Grandpa�s awful black charred face haunted my sleep.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.