Note: Sir William was a great commander in Co. Lancaster, having led a considerable force to serve in 1513 under his cousin, Sir Richard Stanley, at Flodden Field, where he took with his own hand two Scottish banners (which are still in the family) and the Earl of Huntley's arms. For this service, he was personally thanked in a letter by Henry VIII, written from Windsor Castle and dated 27th of November. Sir William was a gallant knight in the reign of Henry III, and displayed great bravery. A monument stands yet today at his grave at Sefton Church with a eulogistic Latin inscription to his memory. He was knighted at Flodden Field in 1513 and given a tiger passant proper on a crown or, for his crest.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.