Martha Frances Reese: Birth: 1834.
Robert. M. Reese: Birth: 29 FEB 1844. Death: 9 SEP 1881
William Jackson Reese: Birth: 29 FEB 1844. Death: 8 JUN 1925
Albert Franklin Reese: Birth: 1854. Death: 1907
Note: Burial:Sumpter Cemetery GrovetonTrinity CountyTexas, USA Find A Grave Memorial# 32224705
Information on George Washington Reese, his wife and family provided by Maggi Denn,<MDENN99@@aol.com> Died of Typhoid Fever Burial: Sumpter Cemetery
GEORGE WASHINGTON REESE , TRINITY COUNTY TEXAS
TRINITY COUNTY. Trinity County (H�21) is in the East TexasqvTimberlands region. The center of the county lies at 31�07' north latitude and 95�05' west longitude. Groveton, the county seat of government, is near the center of the county and ninety air miles north of Houston. The county's name is from the Trinity River, which forms its southeastern boundary. Trinity County covers 692 square miles of rolling to hilly terrain that extends diagonally from the Trinity River northeast to the Neches River. The area is drained by these rivers and by a number of creeks that drain into them; near the southern tip of the county the Trinity has been dammed to form Livingston Reservoir, which provides water and recreation for the area. Altitudes in Trinity County range from 150 to 400 feet above sea level. Most parts of the area have reddish soils with loamy surfaces and clayey subsoils; in the western parts of the county, the soils are light colored with sandy surfaces and clayey subsoils. The county's climate is subtropical and humid, with warm summers and an annual average precipitation of forty-six inches. Temperatures range from an average low of 38� F in January to an average high of 94� F in July; the growing season lasts 260 days. Before the advent of the lumber industryqv in the 1880s, the area was covered by forests of immense trees as large as fifty inches in diameter with first limbs sixty to eighty feet above the ground. Though these forests were destroyed, many areas are now reforested, and much of the county is dotted with pine and hardwood forests. Sweet gum, black willow, hawthorn, water locust, willow, laurel, sycamore, redbud, dogwood, magnolia, chinaberry, green ash, winged elm, red maple, bass wood, iron wood, hickory, winged sumac, oak, and short leaf and loblolly pine grow in abundance. About 59 percent of the land in the county is controlled by timber interests or the national government: almost 200,000 acres of the county's land is owned by lumber and paper companies, while the Davy Crockett National Forestqv covers more than 73,000 acres. In 1982 about 36 percent of the county was in farms and ranches.
In 1837 the Congress of the Republic of Texasqv established Houston County, which included all of the area of present Trinity County. The first recorded permanent white settler was a Jesse James, who settled on Alabama Creek in 1844, near a large Indian settlement. In 1845 John Gallion moved into the settlement and purchased the Indians' livestock and improvements. Though the subsequent fate of the area's Indian population is unknown, they seem to have moved to the Indian Territory. The earliest white settlers in the area lived primarily by hunting, eating the meat of their prey and sending pelts to eastern markets for whatever cash they would bring. On February 11, 1850, the Texas legislature established Trinity County. Jesse James, Benjamin B. Ellis, Solomon Adams, James Marsh, Henry Ward, John Gallion, and M. Duke Hornsby were appointed "to ascertain the centre of the county, to select two sites within five miles of the center suitable for site of the County Seat, [and] to hold an election to determine which would receive the most votes." In 1854 Sumpter, a primitive village, was declared county seat, and a small courthouse and jail were built; that same year the county's first post office was established there. By the late 1850s Trinity County was a thriving frontier area that profited from the steamboat traffic on the Trinity River. Though most of the county's inhabitants supported themselves through hunting and subsistence agriculture, plantation agriculture was becoming increasingly important to the local economy. By 1857 a number of wealthy slaveholders, including C. C. Tallifero, George Reese, and C. O. Wagnon, had moved into the area and established large plantations on which cotton and corn were grown. A saw and grist mill was built at Indian Camp Springs in 1857, providing lumber for frame houses and other structures. By 1860 there were 4,392 people, including 791 slaves and a free black, living in Trinity County. Farms covered 63,000 acres in the county, and almost 12,000 acres were classified as "improved"; that year 94,834 bushels of corn, 2,945 bales of cotton, and 210 pounds of tobacco were produced in Trinity County, along with other crops such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, and beans. Over 10,300 cattle were reported in the county, along with 1,465 sheep. Meanwhile Sumpter, the county seat, had grown to include three hotels, a grocery story, and a saloon. The Trinity Valley, a weekly newspaper, was being published there.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.