Note: HISTORY OF MUSCOTT
The lost village of Muscott is located within the parish of Norton.
Muscott is first documented in the Domesday Book as Misecote and again throughout the 14th Century. It is recoreded at this time to be paying the highest taxes in the county. In 1576 the estate was bought by the Spencer family and became part of the Althorp Estate. In 1993 the medevial site became a National Heratage site.
The monument at Muscott lies just to the north-west of the village of Brockhall, although the two places are identified as separate settlements. The site consists of the earthwork remains of the deserted medieval village and of a double moated site, the location of the Muscott medieval manor house
To the S.W. of Norton village, on either side of the hollow-way to Muscott House (�c� on plan), are ditched closes with house-sites edging the hollow-way. Faint traces of mutilated ridge-and-furrow within the closes appear to be cut by the hollowed 'yards' behind and this suggests that this part of the village at least was laid out on top of earlier fields. Indeed the close to the E., inside the main part of the village, also has traces of ridge-and-furrow on it, again possibly cut by later house-sites and a yard. Further S. W. is a rectangular enclosure (�d' on plan), bounded on three sides by a shallow ditch only 0.25 m. deep and on the fourth, S.W. side by Muscott House. To the S. of the house another ditch, now hardly traceable but apparently 2m. deep before it was levelled (local inf.), may have continued N.W. and surrounded the house and farmyard as a double enclosure. This assumed moat may have been connected with the late medieval gatehouse which still stands on the N.W. side of the farmyard and thus the house and farm may be on the site of a moated medieval manor lying S.W. of the village. Immediately S.W. of the farm buildings a shallow rectangular depression with a ditch leading down to the stream is probably a fishpond. Excavations were carried out during the destruction of the S.E. part of the site in 1958, within the three closes between the hollow-way to the S. and the modern hedge to the N. ('e' on plan). Trial trenches produced no significant evidence in two of the closes, but in the third three buildings of 12th to 13th-century date were discovered. The main building was a large three room structure with walls of sandstone blocks and a central hearth in the main chamber, the second was long and rectangular perhaps with a raised wooden floor, and the third was also rectangular but much smaller. Finds indicated that the area was occupied from the late 12th century to the late 13th or early I14th century (Med. A rch., 3 (1959), 322; DMVRG 6th Annual Report (1958), 7-8). http://www.muscottmillfarm.co.uk/user_data/NortonHistory.pdf
Extract from English Heritage schedule of Ancient Monuments FILE REFERENCE: AA 30312/1 ENTRY IN THE SCHEDULE OF MONUMENTS COMPILED AND MAINTAINED BY THE SECRETARY OF TATE UNDER SECTION 1 OF THE ANCIENT MONUMENTS AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL AREAS ACT 1979 AS AMENDED MONUMENT: Muscott deserted medieval village and double m oated site PARISH: NORTON COUNTY: NORTHAMPTONSHIRE DISTRICT: DAVENTRY NATIONAL MONUMENT NO: 13652 NATIONAL GRID REFERENCE: SP6270 6332. The monument at Muscott lies just to the north-west of the village of Brockhall, although the two places are identified as separate settlements. The site consists of the earthwork remains of the deserted medieval village and of a double moated site, the location of the Muscott medieval manor house. The remains of the village are orientated with respect to a major hollow way between 1.5m and 2m deep, which runs from WSW to ENE through the settlement, with a further hollow way branching off to the north. Alongside the roads low scarps show the extent of property boundaries and, within these areas, raised platforms indicate the sites of former buildings. In the western part of the village arthworks, hollow ways and property boundaries cover the faint remains of ridge and furrow, indicating that the village was extended in this direction. To the south of the remains of the village lay further crofts belonging to the village and some of these were excavated in 1958 prior to their destruction. Within one of the crofts the remains of three buildings were discovered. One building was a stone house with a hearth and two others proved to be the locations of timber barns. All the buildings were dated to the thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries. To the somth-west of the medieval village lie earthwork remains which originally consisted of two linked rectangular moats. The western moat island covers an area measuring approximately 90m x 75m, andIs recorded as the ocation of the medieval manor house belonging to the village, and part of the south ditch of this moat, together with a slight external bank, c an still be seen, although the rest of the ditches and much of,the moat island have been destroyed by later building. The gatehouse to the present Muscott House is onsidered to be late medieval in date with 19th-century additions and is listed Grade II. The second moat lies just to the east of t ' he main moat, is connected to it and covers an area 67m x 57m. The astern moat island is surrounded on the north, east and south sides by a ditch 0.3m deep. To the west of the two moats lie the earthwork remains of water channels and a rectangular fishpond, 40m long, m wide and up to a metre deep which was part of the medieval site.
Probate record - left under �8,000. Died 18 Dec 1862 Norton. Described as retired farmer. John Denny, farmer, son and sole executor.
1851 census Living in Norton with sons William 32, John 22, Elizabeth, sister in law Elizabeth 1861 living at the Lodge in Norton, farmer 600 acres employing 14 men and 5 boys.
RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.