Name: Johannes VONALLMEN
Birth: 17 SEP 1786 in Unterseen, Bern, Switzerland
Death: 27 AUG 1866 in Unterseen, Switzerland
_FA1: 17 SEP 1786 christened
Change Date: 23 NOV 2015
Johannes was my ggg-grandfather.
Christened Sept 17, 1786, Unterseen.
Johannes was a shoemaker in Spielmatte (the area in Unterseen where they lived). They had been married just 9 years when the "hard times" of 1816-17 brought serious famine to the area, they also lived through another famine of 1845-55. Their son, Christian emigrated to Illinois about 1844 and his brother Jakob followed in 1851. (After 1850 thousands of Swiss people immigrated to the US. In 1850 there were 1361 people living in Unterseen.)
Children all born in Unterseen.
His son, Christian moved to America in 1844, and son Jacob followed him in 1850. His other children seem to have died in Unterseen, except for Johannes Jr. I could not find a death record for him. Johannes Sr. died in Switzerland in 1866.
See also my page at:
There is a cemetery called ?Friedhof? in Unterseen, but the Swiss do not keep old graves; they reuse them.
Find A Grave Memorial# 121791641
Father: Johannes Caspar "Hans" VONALLMEN b: 7 FEB 1740 in Spielmatte, Unterseen, Switzerland
Mother: Magdalena SCHMOKER b: 3 NOV 1760 in Beatenburg, Switzerland
Barbara BRUNNER b: 1784 in Iseltwald, Bern, Switzerland
29 OCT 1807
- Johannes VONALLMEN b: 19 JUN 1808 in Unterseen, Bern, Switzerland
- Jakob VONALLMEN b: 19 MAR 1810 in Unterseen, Canton of Bern, Switzerland
- Barbara VONALLMEN b: 24 APR 1812 in Unterseen, Switzerland
- Christian VONALLMEN b: 10 NOV 1814 in Unterseen, Switzerland
- Peter (Petrus) VONALLMEN b: 14 JUL 1821 in Unterseen, Switzerland
- Margaritha VONALLMEN b: 10 NOV 1823 in Unterseen, Switzerland
- Elisabeth VONALLMEN b: 19 JUN 1827 in Unterseen, Switzerland
- Abraham VONALLMEN b: 24 JUL 1828 in Unterseen, Switzerland