Name: Eleazer METCALF
Birth: 2 MAR 1653 in Dedham, Norfolk Co, Mass
Death: 10 MAY 1704 in Wrentham, Mass
Burial: Wrentham Center Cem, Wrentham, Mass.
Change Date: 27 AUG 2015
Eleazer Metcalf was my 8gr-grandfather.
Born Mar 2, 1652/3 (or Jan 2 or May 20) in Dedham, Mass. (on SW edge of Boston), the youngest of 5 children.
Baptized Mar 6 when he was 4 days old.
His father died when Eleazer was 10 months old and he was raised by his step-father, Christopher Smith.
His cemetery page at Find-a-grave says he was born May 20, 1653 and died May 14, 1704. I don?t know the source for these dates. I have another death date for him as Aug 17, 1742.
The time of Eleazer's move from Dedham to Wrentham Centre is unknown, but after King Philip's War in 1676, the inhabitants, who were forced to abandon their town in the wilderness for fear of the Indians, returned to a settlement that had been burned to the ground by the Indians. Among these were Eleazer Metcalf (unmarried), Samuel Fisher (his future father-in-law), and Joseph Kingsbury (a relative of Eleazer's grandson's wife).
Eleazer was described in 1685 as one of the early planters living at "Wallomonopouge." He was an original member and deacon of the First Church of Wrentham. He was admitted a freeman, May 15, 1690. Eleazer, Capt. Robert Pond & 46 others (including Eleazer's son, Michael), inhabitants of the western part of Wrentham, petitioned the general court to be set off as a separate parish and settle a minister among themselves. [This may be referring to the beginning of the first church in Wrentham in 1692.] Wrentham was about 20 miles SW of Dedham, about 5 miles from Rhode Island, so Eleazer was about 40 miles from Salem and was surely well aware of the witch trials which took place there in 1694 when over 200 people were arrested, and 14 were put to death.
He died Sept 13, 1704 (or May 10 or 14) in Wrentham, Mass.
*Find A Grave Memorial# 28330698
Father: Michael METCALF b: 29 AUG 1620 in St. Benedicts, Norwich, Norfolk Co, Eng.
Mother: Mary FAIRBANKS b: 18 APR 1622 in Sowerby, Yorkshire, England
Meletiah FISHER b: 1 MAY 1667 in Wrentham (Franklin), Norfolk Co, Mass.
- Eleazer METCALF b: 30 MAY 1685 in Wrentham (Franklin), Norfolk Co, Mass.
- Elder Michael METCALF b: 25 JAN 1687 in Wrentham, Norfolk Co, Mass
- Samuel METCALF b: 15 JAN 1688 in Mass.
- Ebenezer METCALF b: 8 JAN 1691 in Wrentham, Norfolk Co, Mass
- Jonathan METCALF b: 9 APR 1693 in Wrentham, Norfolk Co, Mass
- Meletiah METCALF b: 21 APR 1695 in Wrentham, Norfolk Co, Mass
- Timothy METCALF b: 2 JUL 1697 in Wrentham, Mass
- Martha METCALF b: 27 AUG 1699 in Wrentham, Mass
- Mary METCALF b: 27 AUG 1699 in Mass.
- Eleazer METCALF b: 21 NOV 1700 in Mass.