Name: John SPURLOCK
Birth: 1734 in Montgomery co, Va
Death: 1792 in Montgomery co, Va
Change Date: 5 SEP 2015
familysearch.org # LZ68-LNG
It's questionable who the father of John is -- no one knows for sure. I don?t find any ideas that don?t have some problems with it.
- Some researchers have said that John Sr. was the son of WILLIAM Spurlock Sr. & Anne Toney, but that is not likely because I think William is too old (b 1687). William's 1750 will lists 3 sons: Charles, Drury & Wm Jr. (however in 1740 William deeded 100 acres to his "son Henry" so there were other children not mentioned in his will).
- Others feel that John is the son of CHARLES & Elizabeth. This may be right. But none of John?s sons are named Charles.
- I think John was the son of WILLIAM Jr. (son of William Spurlock & Anne Toney). This makes the most sense. John named his first son, William.
William, John and Drury were common names in John's descendants. It seems very likely though that John Sr. was a grandson of William Sr.
John married Mary ? There hasn't been any proof that it was Mary Sarah Harbour though it?s possible. This has been assumed and passed around, but not proved. John did have a Harbour son-in-law and daughter-in-law so there were close connections to this family.
The first 7 children listed are usually accepted as his children. Nancy is questionable.
He was listed in Tithables lists of Lunenburg Co, Va. in 1749, 1750 & 1752.
In 1779 William, Jesse, John Sr, and John Jr. of Montgomery County took the Oath of Allegiance to the United States, renouncing allegiance to Great Britain and swearing allegiance to the Commonwealth of Virginia in Henry County.
1790 Virginia Census:
Jeremiah Spurlock, 86 Fairfax Co
Agnes Spurlock, 34 Mecklenburg Co
Zachariah Spurlock, 34 Mecklenburg Co
Spurlock marriages in Virginia:
Mary Spurlock & David Harbour, Aug 21, 1787, Montgomery Co.
George Spurlock & Elizabeth Clore, June 7, 1791, Montgomery Co.
John Spurlock & Charlotte Mills, Apr 17, 1782, Henrico Co
Aggy Spurlock Jr & John Lollis, Apr 5, 1786, Mecklenburg Co
Milly Spurlock & John Tudor, July 16, 1787, Mecklenburg Co
Zachariah Spurlock & Elizabeth Mealer, Oct 13, 1792, Mecklenburg Co
William Spurlock & Nanney Tempy, Dec 9, 1798, Mecklenburg Co.
Father: William SPURLOCK b: 1710 in New Kent Co, Va.
- William SPURLOCK b: 1753 in Bedford Co, Va
- John SPURLOCK b: 12 FEB 1760 in Montgomery Co, Va
- Jesse SPURLOCK b: 1762 in Powells Valley, Montgomery Co, VA
- Mary SPURLOCK b: 1764 in Montgomery Co, Va
- George B. SPURLOCK b: 1765 in Montgomery Co, VA
- David SPURLOCK b: 1767
- Rosanna SPURLOCK
- Nancy SPURLOCK