Name: Joseph COLYOTT
Birth: 1822 in Fredericktown, Missouri
Death: 15 DEC 1897 in Reynolds Co, Mo
Change Date: 3 NOV 2015
Joseph Colyott (my ggg-grandfather) was born in 1822 in Missouri (probably Fredericktown, Madison Co).
See also my webpage on him at -
Though no definite proof has yet been found, I'm certain he is a descendant of Nicholas Caillott LaChance I & Marianne Girard. I believe that his parents were Nicholas LaChance III and Cecile (Chevallier) for the following reasons:
1. The 1830 census shows that Nicholas III had a son Joseph's age.
2. In 1830 Nicholas was living in Liberty twp, Madison Co, Mo. In the same township was Nimrod Brewer, father of Polly, who Joseph latter married. The only other LaChance in that township was Francis J. LaChance who married Nicholas III?s daughter, Mary Louisa.
3. In 1850 Joseph & Polly were living not far from his sister Louisa, who had her father Nicholas III living with her family. And the next listing to Joseph was his brother Francis' widow, Frances (Lacomb) and children.
4. Joseph Colyott's grandson, Joseph M. Willard, left 2 names in some of his reminiscing before he died in 1964: "Susan Chevalier & Arthur Henri Chevalier, 1831-1914". (I have not been able to find these names anywhere, but it seems that they would be related, especially since I believe Joseph Colyott?s mother was Cecile Chevallier, wife of Nicholas III.)
5. Joseph Colyott named his first daughter Mary Louisa, maybe after his sister (though Polly's mother was probably also Mary Louisa.)
6. A descendant in daughter Mary Louisa's line said that the story in their family was that Joseph went to court and changed his name. The fact that he changed his name (to Caliot or Colyott instead of Lachance), and that he didn't use any Caliot/LaChance names for his children, might suggest some family estrangement. He didn't name any of his children Nicholas or Cecile [which is very unusual]. Polly actually had a brother named Nicholas, and they still didn't use this name! Several names from Polly's family were used: William, John, George, Eliza, Jane. Polly's parents were Nimrod and Mary Louisa and both these names were used. [Alexander though may have been a Caliot/Lachance name.]
1830 Madison Co, Mo census:
St. Michael Township:
p785, line19 - Chevallier, Peter [father of Nicholas III's wife]
p789, 9 - Lachance, Francis Jr
p789, 10 - Lachance, Francis Sr
p791, 19 - Lachance, Michael
p803, 10 - Lachance, Nicholas - [Nicholas III, father of Joseph]
p803, 9 - Lachance, Francis J. - [son-in-law of Nicholas III]
p803, 27 - Brewer, Nimrod - [father of Polly]
No record has been found of Joseph & Polly's marriage in Madison Co., Mo. where the Brewers were living in 1830, 1840, & 1850.
In 1850 Joseph & Polly were in Madison County, Mo. (p255) with their first 3 children [other relatives follow]
Caliot, Joseph - 36 b Mo
. . . . . Mary - 28 Mo
. . . . . Louisa - 7 Mo
. . . . . Sarah - 3 Mo (mother of Joseph Martin Willard)
next door is:
Caliot, Frances b Mo [widow, Frances LaComb Colyott who m Francis LaChance, son of Nicholas III, which would make him Joseph Colyott's brother]
Caliot, Frances - blank, Mo [widowed, Frances LaComb]
. . . . Francis - 23, Mo
. . . . Zeno - 21, Mo
. . . . Lewis - 19, Mo
. . . . Felix - 17, Mo
. . . . John - 14, Mo
. . . . Joseph - 12, Mo
. . . . Paul - 10, Mo
Coliot, Francis - 47 Mo
. . . . . Louisa - 45 Mo (Joseph?s sister)
. . . . . Eveline - 19 Mo
Coliot, Nicholas - 65 Mo [Nicholas III, Joseph's father]
. . . . . Benjamin - 11 Mo
In 1860 they were living in Reynolds County, Black River Township.
Colyot, Joseph - 38, b Mo, farmer, can't read or write
Colyot, Mary - 37, b Mo
Colyot, Mary - 17
Colyot, Sarah - 13
Colyot, Elizabeth - 10
Colyot, Alexander - 7
Colyot, Aaron - 4
Colyot, Allen - 4 months
Though I don't know Joseph's involvement in the Civil War, he could not have avoided having some part. His daughter, Sarah Jane, married a Confederate soldier, John Willard, from Oregon Co, Mo.
Polly's sister, Eliza Brewer married William Sampson Huddleston and moved to Oregon Co. in 1848. Another of Joseph?s daughters, Mary Louisa, married a man from Oregon Co. in 1861. (It's likely that Mary Louisa's husband George Goodwin was killed in the war before 1866.)
Polly's parents, Nimrod & Mary Louisa Brewer, lived near them in Madison Co. in 1850 and then again in Reynolds Co. in 1860 & 1870.
In 1870 they were still in Reynolds Co. (post office: Barnesville) where Joseph was farming.
Caliot, Joseph - 47, b Mo, farmer
Caliot, Polly - 46
Caliot, Eliz. - 21
Caliot, Alexander - 18
Caliot, William - 15
Caliot, Joseph - 12 [probably Jasper]
Caliot, George - 5
On the same census page was Nicholas Brewer & family, Polly's brother.
In 1880 they were still in Reynolds Co., but this time they were living in Lesterville, where Joseph worked in a mill (probably a sawmill since they are abundant in that area).
Collyotte, Joseph - 58, b Mo, father b IL; mother b Mo
Collyotte, Polly - 57, Mo SC Mo
Collyotte, Jno. G. - 14, b Mo
(On the same page is William A. Collyotte & family, Alex Colyotte & family, and Nicholas Brewer & family)
There is a little valley called Colyott Hollow in southeastern Lesterville township, Reynolds County, MO. on the Black River south of Lesterville and west of Annapolis.
Reynolds County Deeds
May 21, 1891 - from: Jos. Colyott & w; to: Alex N. Colyott, Sec 12, R 32, Twp 2E
Nov 5, 1891 - from: Joseph Colyott & w; to: N. Brewer, Sec 12, R 31, Twp 2E
Sept 30, 1891 - from A.N. Colyott & w; to: J.T.N. Brewer, sec 12, R 31, twp 2E
Joseph died in 1897 (burial place unknown in Reynolds or Iron Co, Mo)
In 1900 Polly was living in Iron County with her daughter, Mary Louisa Aldridge, and her family:
Colliott, Polly, b Feb 1823, age 77, 10 children - b Mo Mo Mo
Polly died in 1905. Burial place unknown.
Children: There was a 21-year span in the births of Joseph & Polly's children. Mary Louisa was married 4 years & had a 3-year-old son before her youngest brother was born. Sarah Jane had been married 2 years and her first son, Joseph Martin Willard, was born the same month as her youngest brother, John George Colyott.
1. Missouri Marriages to 1850
2. Grand Prairie (AR) Historical Society Bulletin, Oct 1980, pp 13, 14, 27.
3. Colyott Family History, from Grace Jordan
4. Early Ste. Genevieve Marriages
5. burials at St. Michael?s Church (Fredericktown, Madison Co., Mo)
6. 1860 Missouri census
7. Ste. Genevieve County Marriages 1807-27, 1842-66 (listed in Missouri Pioneers)
8. 1850 Missouri census
9. marriage bond of Pelagie Caillott & Pierre Chevallier, Aug. 13, 1797
10. A History of Madison County (Mo) by H.C. Thompson
11. Citizens of Missouri in 3 vols 1787-1835, by Inginire
12. History of Southeast Missouri
13. _______ (manuscript), chapter 14: French Germans & Americans in Nouvelle Bourbon
14. The Allen Deguire Family, manuscript by Joseph Broz
15. Collage of newspaper clippings: obits of Jasper Allen Colyott, Charles Colyotte, & Lillie Bell Buxton
16. The George Rogers Clark Adventure in Illinois, by KW Seineke, 1981
17. Ste. Genevieve, by Yealy
18. Mormon Records
19. A History of Missouri, by L. Louck, 1908
20. Colonial Ste. Genevieve, by CJ Ekberg
21. Letter from Ollie (Buxton) Wakefield, who provided info on her grandfather Alec Colyott?s descendants.
22. Aldridge Bible Record, kept by Gracie May Aldridge
23. family records on descendants of Mary Elizabeth (Aldridge) Dodson (daug of Mary Louisa Colyott) from Rudy Reagan
24. 1900 Mo census
25. 1880 Mo census
26. 1870 Mo census
27. 1840 Mo census
28. Memorial Cemetary records, Ste. Genevieve,
29. Ste. Genevieve Tombstone Inscriptions, Vol. 1, manuscript by Rob Beckerman, 1981
30. Madison County, Mo. Marriages 1821-50
31. Kaskaskia, by Belting
32. The Story of Old Ste. Genevieve
33. Missouri Territory Land Claims
*Find A Grave Memorial# 44800589
Father: Nicholas Caillot Dit LACHANCE b: 1785 in Ste. Genevieve, Mo.
Mother: Cecile CHEVALLIER b: ABT 1787
Mary "Polly" BREWER b: FEB 1823 in Mo, probably Madison Co.
in Madison Co, Mo
- Maria Louisa COLYOTT b: 7 JUL 1844 in Madison Co, MO
- Sarah Jane COLYOTT b: 17 SEP 1847 in Madison Co, Mo
- Elizabeth ?Bettie? COLYOTT b: 4 APR 1849 in Madison Co, MO
- Alexander Nimrod "Alec" COLYOTT b: ABT 1852 in Missouri
- William Aaron "Billy" COLYOTT b: 7 MAR 1854 in Reynolds Co, MO
- Jasper Allen COLYOTT b: 14 FEB 1860 in Black River twp, Reynolds Co, Mo
- John George COLYOTT b: 6 JUL 1865 in Piedmont, Wayne Co, Mo