Name: Michael K. 'Matt' Sherek
Birth: 12 JAN 1884 in Veseli Minnesota 1
Death: 27 MAY 1950 in Lankin, Walsh Co ND
Burial: St Joseph's Catholic Cemetery, Lankin Walsh Co ND See Dsc04837.jpg
1. PUBLICATION: See vol 4 Walsh Co,Heritage page 978 for a family story and wedding photo.
2. WILLS: Source Grafton, Walsh Co, ND Court House Index of WILLS 'A" (Register for WILLS stored in Grafton, Walsh Co, ND), Entered under Tab 'S', Entry Number Shereck, Mike K. and Emma Lankin Walsh Co ND filed 1950.5.1 Filed for probate 7.3.1950
3. CENSUS: 1900 Twelfth Census of the United States Schedule No – Population, North Dakota, County Walsh, Township Perth 156, Range 59, Enumerated on the 22th June 1900 by Andrew Snavhaug Enumeration District 203 Sheet 7B Entry 21, Shereck, Mike Servant (Listed with James and Annie Drtina family), white, male, born March 1883 17 years old and single, born in Minnesota of Bohemian parents, works farm labor, worked all 1900, does not r/w/s English.
4. CENSUS: 1910 United States Federal Census Department of Commerce and Labor Bureau of the Census, Thirteenth census of the United States 1910 Population, State of North Dakota, Walsh Co, Perth Township taken May 13th, 1910 Sheet 13B Entry 216, Shirek, Mike K. son male white 26 years old, single, born in Minnesota, works on home farm, r/w English.
5. CENSUS: 1920 United States Federal Census Department of Commerce Bureau of the Census, Fourteenth census of the United States 1920 Population, State of North Dakota, Walsh Co, Norton Township enumerator John N. Shepard Sheet 7B Jan 17-20th 1920 entry 58/59 Sherrick Mike K. head owns his farm with a mortgage, male white 36 married r/w/s English born in Minnesota of Bohemian parents works as a grain farmer FEN62
6. CENSUS: 1940: 1940 United States Federal Census Department of Commerce Bureau of the Census, Sixteenth Census of the United States 1940 Population Schedule, State of North Dakota, Walsh Co, Norton Township, taken April 15, 1940, Enumerator John V. Machart, SD No 2, ED No 50-33 Sheet No 2A entry 26 owns his farm Sherek M.K. (Michael) (provided census information) head male white 55 married education grade 2, born in Minnesota and was living in same home in Walsh Co on April 1, 1935 and worked 56 hours week of March 24-30 farmer on his own and worked previous 52 weeks FEN23
7. PUBLICATION : See Walsh Co Heritage Publications, A Continued Story of Walsh Co and Its Pioneers and their Descendants, Walsh Co Historical Society, Four Volumes, Vol IV, PUBLISHED BY WALSH COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
EDITED BY MRS. MYRTLE BALKEE, GRAFTON, N. DAK.
PRINTED BY ASSOCIATED PRINTERS, GRAFTON, N. DAK. 58237
©COPYRIGHT 1981 Vol IV
WALSH COUNTY, NORTH DAKOTA (Photos in Vol IV
are not of a good quality.) Norton Township Walsh Co ND
MIKE SHEREK FAMILY
Mike Sherek, son of Joseph and Anna (Turek) Sherek, was
born Jan. 12, 1884, in Veseli, Minn. Emma Karas was born
March 21,1889, in Perth Township to John and Mary (Tomek)
Karas, on the farm where Joseph Karas now lives.
Mike and Emma were married in St. Peter and Paul Catholic
Church in Bechyne in 1911. They were the first couple married
by Rev. Vaclav F. Mikolasek when he arrived to serve the Lankin-
The Shereks farmed in Norton Township, seven miles
northwest of Lankin. They retired from farming in 1944 and lived
in Bremerton, Wash., for one year after which they returned to
live in Lankin.
Mike and Emma had three daughters — Lorraine, Donna,
and Ann Marie.
Lorraine married Robert Trenda; had two sons and a
daughter, Norman, Katherine, and Dennis. Norman married
Donna Jo Whalen; their children are Patrick, Kerry, Lynne, and
Robert. Katherine married Rudolph Suda; their children are Jim,
Janet, Joni Kaye, Karla, and Kelly. Dennis married Jill Linstad.
Donna Sherek married James Rose.
Ann Marie died in infancy.
Mike died in 1950; his was the last funeral service
conducted by Rev. Vaclav Mikolasek before his death a few
months later. Father Roth of Pisek assisted with the funeral
service. Emma died in 1979. They are buried in St. Joseph's
Catholic Cemetery at Lankin.
8. SCRAPBOOK: See wedding photo.
9. CENSUS: 1930 United States Federal Census Department of Commerce Bureau of the Census, Fifteenth census of the United States 1930 Population, State of North Dakota, Walsh Co, Norton Township, enumerator A.J. Machart Apr 7, 1930 sheet 33-02B entry 37, Shereck, Matt K. head owns his farm and has a radio male white 46 married at 29 born in MN of Czech parents farming and wife Emma 41 ND of Czech parents and girls Lorraine C. 18 ND and Donna M. 9 ND
10. CEMETERY: Sherek, Michael K., b. b. Jan 12, 1884, d. May 27, 1950, FatherSt Joseph Lankin Walsh Co ND See www.interment.net Walsh Co ND
Father: Joseph Shirek b: APR 1856 in Bohemia
Mother: Anna Mary Turek b: JUN 1858 in Bohemia
Emma Karas b: 21 MAR 1889 in Perth Twp, Walsh Co ND
in St Peter and Paul Church, Bechyne Walsh Co ND 2
- Lorraine E. Sherek b: 16 MAR 1912 in Norton Twp, Walsh Co North Dakota
- Anna Marie Sherek b: 26 MAY 1916
- Donna Marie Sherek b: 1 JAN 1921 in Norton Township Walsh Co North Dakota
- Title: Census 1900 Perth Township
Page: Sheet 203-07B entry 21 line 4
Text: Shereck Mike servant (James Drtina) white male born March 1883 in Minnesota of Bohemian parents
- Title: Index to Marriage Records Walsh Co ND Book 'A' Licenses 'Grafton Court House Record Grafton, Walsh Co, ND'
Page: Index Page 274, Book 8, Page 294
Text: Karas Emma, 8 294 Married 1911