Name: Hannah Louise LOKKEN
Birth: 11 AUG 1888 in Skjee, Norway
Death: 26 FEB 1974 in Thief River Falls, Pennington County, Minnesota
Note: Northwestern Hospital
Burial: 1 MAR 1974 St. Pauli Cemetery, Thief River Falls, Minnesota
CONF: 4 AUG 1903 St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Pennington County, Minnesota
Change Date: 29 JAN 2008
From Pennington County History (1976):
My mother, Hannah Loken, was born on August 11, 1888, in Skjee, Norway, and came with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lars Loken, to the United States when she was one and a half years old. She was the third of twelve children, nine of whom were born in this country.
Mother?s parents, on arriving in America, went first to Grafton, North Dakota, and stayed there for one year working on the farm of Hans Gangsai. Peter thune also worked on the same farm. When Mr. Thune decided to homestead in Minnesota (about 3 miles east of Hazel), he invited my grandparents to move with him and his wife. The two families lived in the same house with only a curtain between their rooms. Mrs. Thune would often call to my grandmother through the curtain to come over for coffee. They were very good friends.
Before long, Grandpa Loken decided to rent the Johan Johnson place. From there he and his growing family moved to the Thompson (Edwin Anderson) place. Here, because the drainage was poor, his crops were poor, too. He sold that farm and bought the place where his grandson Leo Lokken now lives.
Because Mother (Hannah Loken) was one of the older children she had to help her dad with much of the farm work. She and her older sister Annette missed quite a bit of school in order to help out at home. However, Mother said she enjoyed working in the field with her father. In recounting events of her school days, Mother told of instances when the snow was so deep that it was impossible for them to walk through it so she and some of her brothers and sisters would lie down and roll part of the way to school.
Mother went to work in Bemidji when she was fifteen years old. She found employment at Rolf Anderson?s Boardinghouse as part time cook and chambermaid. It was here that Dad met her some years later when he came there to live after finding a job at one of the sawmills in Bemidji.
Dad began courting my mother and would often take her for boat rides on Lake Bemidji in his rowboat. Mother had a chance to go to Minneapolis to learn dressmaking. Dad was afraid he might never see her again and proposed marriage. She accepted. After a two-year courtship they were married on December 23, 1910, by T. S. Foeste, pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bemidji. After the wedding they went by train to Hazel, Minnesota, where Grandpa Loken met them at the depot with horses and sleigh. They stayed with the Lokens about a week. Mother remained another weekk but Dad went back to Bemidji to complete arrangements for their home. When Mother returned to Bemidji a week later, what a surprise! Dad had not only bought a house, but had also furnished it.
Father: Lars Anderson LOKKEN b: 16 FEB 1859 in Tonsburg, Norway
Mother: Regina Amalia HANSON b: 8 AUG 1860 in Tonsberg, Norway
Nels Marius NELSON b: 27 MAR 1885 in Tranaplass, Norway c: 25 MAY 1885 in Norway
23 DEC 1910
in Evangelical Lutheran Church, Bemidji, Minnesota
- Note: Rev. T. S. Foeste
- Nellie Louise NELSON b: 11 FEB 1916 in Rocksbury Township, Pennington County, Minnesota c: 2 APR 1916 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Minnesota
- Hazel Margit NELSON b: 11 FEB 1916 in Rocksbury Township, Pennington County, Minnesota c: 2 APR 1916 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Minnesota
- Myrtle Alvina NELSON b: 29 OCT 1918 in Hazel, Pennington County, Minnesota c: 1 DEC 1918 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Minnesota
- Evelyn Johanna NELSON b: 19 APR 1920 in Rocksbury Township, Pennington County, Minnesota c: 8 AUG 1920 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Minnesota
- Nels Henry NELSON b: 29 MAR 1922 in Hazel, Pennington County, Minnesota c: 27 APR 1922 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Minnesota
- Pearl Luella NELSON b: 15 DEC 1924 in Hazel, Pennington County, Minnesota c: 8 FEB 1925 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Minnesota
- Norman (Herman) Louis (Lauritz) NELSON b: 4 APR 1912 in Bemidji, Beltrami County, Minnesota c: 19 MAY 1912 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Minnesota
- Raynard M. NELSON b: 28 DEC 1913 in Bemidji, Beltrami County, Minnesota