Name: Joan Heiress de COCTON 1 2
Birth: ABT 1233 in Coughton, Alcester, Warwickshire, England
Death: AFT 1274 1
The marriage of Joan and Hugh re-united the original manor of Coughton. When Ranulf/Ralph de Cocton d. 1129, he left most of Coughton to one son, who was a direct ancestor of Joan, and all of Kinwarton and part of Coughton (later known as the Bruly Manor) to a second son, which descended to another Ranful/Ralph who m. (2) Joan (last name unknown) to whom, in marriage, he granted his lands in Coughton. Even though Joan had no children by Ralph when he d. <1214, she held the manor and when she m. Richard Bruley, Joan passed it to her son by Richard named Simon de Bruley, and the land became known as Bruly manor of Coughton. Hugh Bruley, grandson of Richard & Joan, was the eventual heir of his elder brother Simon who d. without issue in 1292, although at that time Bruly manor was passed through a series of grants to Hugh's grandson William de la Spine/Spineto because Hugh and his daughter Joan were already dead in 1292. The following article on the Manor of Coughton indicates most of the story.
Manor of Coughton, Warwickshire:
The manor of COUGHTON is practically coterminous with the parish, though a small area lies in Great Alne, south-west of Coughton. In 1086 Coughton was held of Turchil by William as 4 hides and included a mill. Untonihad held it in the time of King Edward. The overlordship appears to have passed, with the rest of Turchil's Warwickshire possessions, to Henry de Newburgh or de Beaumont, the first Earl of Warwick, about 1090 and descended with the earldom. In 1316 the ½ knight's fee in Coughton was given to Alice widow of Guy, Earl of Warwick, in dower. In 1472 the manor was held of the Duke of Clarence, who was created Earl of Warwick by reason of his wife's claim, and in 1518 it was held of the king as of Warwick Castle, the earldom being then in abeyance. In 1547 John, Viscount Lisle, newly created Earl of Warwick, was given the liberties in Coughton formerly enjoyed by Richard, Earl of Warwick, the Kingmaker.
William, the Domesday tenant of Coughton, has been identified with William Fitz Corbucion alias William de Studley and he is believed to have given his lands in Coughton to Ranulf brother of Walter Abbot of Evesham, which Ranulf already held Kinwarton and Weethley (q.v.) together with extensive lands in Worcestershire from the abbot. Ranulf is presumed to have died in about 1129 and to have left two sons, William son of Ranulf and Robert son of Ranulf, who at Michaelmas 1130 paid relief for lands in Warwickshire. Ranulf's lands, including Coughton, were evidently equally divided between his two sons, one being described as the knight of Coughton and the other as the knight of Kinwarton, who, with their descendants, shared equally the service of 2 knights due to the abbot of Evesham.
The service of ½ knight due to the Earl of Warwick from the 4 hides in Coughton appears, however, to have devolved upon the 2 hides held by the Kinwarton branch of the family (see below). Ranulf of Kinwarton had a son Robert who predeceased him, having settled ? of 2 hides in Coughton on his wife Joan. In 1199 Joan and her next husband Richard de Brusle leased this land to Ranulf, Joan's former father-in-law, for his life. Ranulf was presumably dead by 1214, when Alexander, another of his sons, was sued for breaking the terms of this fine. Alexander de Kinwarton about 1241 gave to the Abbot of Alcester a place to build a piggery in his wood of Coughton and also a load of firewood, weekly, from that same wood, but in 1242-3 Simon de Bruly was holding ½ knight's fee in Coughton. Simon was living in 1261, but was dead in 1262, when Agnes his wife and Robert his son were holding land in Coughton. In 1268 Robert was returned as holding the ½ fee in Coughton. He was Regarder of Feckenham Forest in 1271. In 1289 his hedges at Coughton were broken and his crops were depastured by Roger de Spineto of Coughton, Richard de Verdon of Wyke, and 12 others, on land where they claimed, wrongfully, to have common of pasture. In 1292 Robert de Bruly is reported to be holding £20 a year in land in chief though still unknighted, but he must have died soon after, for about this time Simon son of Robert de Broylly sold his manor of Coughton with all his rights and liberties there to William of Louth, Bishop of Ely. After the bishop's death this manor passed to Sir William Touchet, who immediately, in September 1298, granted it, with all the property formerly of Simon Broyli, to William de Spineto, after which the two parts of the Coughton fee were reunited.
To return to the other half of the Coughton lands of Ranulf; it is thought that the descendants of William his son, the knight of Coughton, were Robert and William de Coctuna, who were living between 1151and 1158, Robert dying without issue. William's sons were Ranulf and Simon, but the Coughton lands are thought to have descended to Ranulf, who was one of the knights of the Abbot of Evesham in 1166, and was living in 1184. His heir was apparently that Simon son of Ranulf de Cocton who was contemporary with Ranulf of Kinwarton (see above). Simon, who died at Alcester through falling off his horse when drunk, had been succeeded by 1220 by his son Simon, probably the same Simon who about 1241 gave to the monks of Alcester a place for a piggery and a load of firewood weekly in his wood of Coughton. Simon married Constance daughter of William de Parco before 1226, but was dead by 1274, when his widow is mentioned, and also their daughter Constance, who had married John son of Master John de Billesle. Simon and Constance had other daughters. One, whose name was Joan, is said to have been twice married: first to Hugh de Burleye, with whom she joined in 1257 in enfeoffing William de Spineto of a half virgate in Coughton, and subsequently to Hugh de Norfolk, who joined with her in 1274 in a further grant to William de Spyney (this time with Joan his wife) of land in Samborne and Coughton, together with the reversion of the third part thereof held by Constance widow of Simon de Cocton in dower.
Very shortly after this a dispute between William de Spineto and Joan and the Prior of Studley concerning tithes and some matter of violence was settled before the Bishop of Worcester in 1275 and some unspecified sentence upon them was released. Whether from the same sentence or not, the archdeacon was ordered to pronounce the absolution of William in 1279, and again in 1284, when the sheriff was told to release him from prison. This later trouble may have had a financial basis, as Roger the clerk, William's son, gave bond for repayment of a debt due to the executors of the late Archbishop of York, the bishop's brother. Probably in fulfilment of this bond Roger gave to the Bishop of Worcester 1 messuage and 3 carucates of land in Coughton. The bishop surrendered it to the king, who returned it to him, to hold of the chief lords of the see, and in October 1293 the bishop granted to William son of William de Spineto the manor of Coughton near Spernall.
From: 'Parishes: Coughton', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 3: Barlichway hundred (1945), pp. 74-86. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=56985&strquery=coughton warwick Date accessed: 08 June 2013.
Father: Simon de COCTON , Sir b: BEF 1199 in Coughton, Alcester, Warwickshire, England
Mother: Constance de PARCO b: ABT 1205 in Hatherop, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, England
Hugh de BRULEY , of Coughton b: ABT 1232 in Bruly Manor, Coughton, Alcester, Warwickshire, England
in 1st husband
BEF 1257 1
- Joan de BRULEY , Heiress of Coughton b: ABT 1252 in Coughton, Alcester, Warwickshire, England
Hugh de NORFOLK b: ABT 1233
in 2nd husband 1
- Title: VCH - Warwickshire:. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk
- Title: A genealogical and historical account of the Throckmorton family in England and the United States, by Wickliffe Throckmorton, reprinted 2002