Name: Richard BELHOUSE , of North Tudenham 1
Birth: ABT 1150
Death: AFT 1211 in North Tudenham, Mitford, Norfolk, England 1
Here was a considerable manor in this town, besides what is already observed, belonging to the Earl Warren, who by his power had invaded or seized on the possessions of 4 freemen, who had in King Edward's time, half a carucate of land belonging to the fee of Frederick, and lived under the protection and commendation of his predecessor, with one borderer, 2 carucates and 2 acres of meadow, valued at 10s. and Wimere held it of the Earl.
This lordship extended into that of Shipdam, which belonged to this Earl, and the moiety of a church which is there mentioned in Domesday Book, was undoubtedly the church of North-Tudenham, which always belonged to this manor of Belhouse, and could not be in Shipdam, the patronage of that being in the church of Ely.
In the 13th of King John, Philip Gulafre impleaded Richard de Belhus and Maud his wife, for 2 carucates of land here, of which William Gulafre, his great grandfather, and Scurtetuna his wife, were seized in the time of Henry I. who had issue, Roger, father of William, father of the claimant; Richard pleads that he held it in right of his wife, Maud, one of the daughters and coheirs of John Pouchard, son and heir of Sir William Pouchard; to this Philip replied, that the relict of Pouchard held it in dower, but on her death, Robert Tregoz, the capital lord, seized on it and held it; but to this Richard and Maud answered, that Tregoz granted it to them.
Sir William Pouchard was father of John, who married Alice, daughter and coheir of Fulk de Oyry, lord of Gedney in Lincolnshire.
This John had 3 daughters and coheirs; Maud, the eldest, married Sir Richard de Belhus: Joan, another daughter and coheir, married Reyner de Burgh, father of Hubert de Burgo, lord chief justice of England; Alice, the 3d daughter and coheir, married Robert de Nerford, founder of the abbey de Prato or Prees, in North Creeke, castellan of Dover castle.
In the 24th of Henry III. the Lady Oliva, widow of John de Mareschall, lady of Hokering, and of this town, granted by fine the fishery at Witford, to Maud de Belhus.
Sir Richard de Belhouse was a commissioner to enquire after tenures, &c. in the 3d of Edward I. and Thomas de Belhouse, and Sarah his wife, in the 29th of that King, held the manor of Tudenhalf Faldgate, by the service of 20s. per ann. and half a fee.
Here was then a capital messuage, &c. valued at 11l. 17s. 2d. perann. and Richard was found to be his son and heir, aged 9 years; he was also lord of West Bilney, Bodney, &c.
In the 36th of Edward III. Sir Richard Belhouse died, and left 3 daughters and coheirs; Emme, married to Sir Peter L'Estrange, lord of Fransham Parva; Maud, to William Bozun, of Wyssingset, Esq. and Joan to James de Holveston; though some records say that Joan, or one of these daughters and coheirs, was married to - Oldhall, by whom he had Edmund, father of Sir William Oldhall, who presented to this church in 1446, as lord of some part of Belhouse manor, which proves a relation to Sir Richard Belhouse.
From: 'Mitford Hundred and Half: North Tudenham', An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 10 (1809), pp. 263-269. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=78672&strquery=richard belhouse oldhall Date accessed: 28 April 2012.
NOTE: This book's treatise on West Bilney, which seems better researched on the Oldham line, says that Emme m. William Oldhall, father of Edmund Oldhall. Joan may well have m. James de Holveston. ALSO: The information on John Pouchard is flawed 1) his wife Alice, if a d'Oyri, was born earlier than Fulk. 2) his daughter Joan may? have m. a Reyner de Burgh, but they were not parents of Hubert de Burgo/Burgh.
Maud POUCHARD b: ABT 1160 in Newton by Castle Acre, Swaffham, Norfolk, England
- Thomas BELHOUSE , of W. Tilney & N. Tudenham b: ABT 1190 in North Tudenham, Mitford, Norfolk, England
- Title: An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk, by Francis Blomefield, www.british-history.ac.uk
Page: vol X, p. 263-9