The manor or seigniory of Millom was given by William de Meschines to Godart Boyvill, whose descendants, bearing the name of Millom, possessed it till the reign of Henry III. when Joan, daughter and heir of Adam de Millom, brought it to Sir John Hudleston, or Huddleston, Lord of Anneys, in Millom, descended from a Yorkshire family. In the year 1335, Sir John Huddleston procured the King's licence to fortify and embattle his mansion at Millom: his great grandson Sir Richard was made knight banneret at Agincourt: his descendant Ferdinando Huddleston, had nine sons, who were all officers in the service of King Charles I.; William, the eldest, was made knight banneret at Edghill, where he recovered the royal standard. William Huddleston, Esq. the last heir male of the elder branch of this ancient family, had two daughters; Elizabeth, the elder, married Sir Hedworth Williamson, Bart. of Monk-Weremouth, in the county of Durham; who, in 1774, sold the manor of Millom to Sir James Lowther, afterwards Earl of Lonsdale. It is now the property of the present Earl. The lords of this seigniory had in former times great privileges: they were exempt from the sheriff's jurisdiction, and had the power of life and death. Mr. Denton, writing in 1688, says that the gallows stood on a hill near the castle, on which criminals had been executed within memory. There are considerable remains of the castle , which was the ancient seat of the Huddlestons: they continued to reside there in 1688, although Mr. T. Denton speaks of it as being at that time much out of repair. He describes the park as having within twenty years abounded with oak, which, to the value of 4,000l. had been cut down, and used chiefly for the iron forges. The habitable part of the castle is now occupied as a farm-house.
Father: Adam de MILLOM b: ABT 1190 in Millom, Bootle, Cumberland, England
Marriage 1 John HUDLESTON , of Anneys & Millom, Sir b: ABT 1222 in Anneys near Millom, Cumberland, England
Marriage 2 Robert de LATHOM , Sir b: ABT 1226 in Lathom, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England