Name: George HARDY , Capt
Birth: ABT 1633 in Bedfordshire, England
Death: 1693 in Isle of Wight Co, VA
Immigration: BEF 1636
The following was copied from Ginny Berry, World Connect db=I5539:
George Hardy (b.1633) who arrived in Virginia before his parents, married Mary Jackson (b. 1640; d. before 1693), in 1663. Land records show: Indenture 27 Jan. 1664 between George Hardy and George Mansfield. George Hardy owns 6,300 pounds of tobacco and cask, 1 case of English Drams, part of a plantation, 2 tracts of land (formerly in possession of Richard Jackson) in Upper Parish of Isle of Wight upon the Riverside containing 150 acres with houses. Part of this was leased for ten years to Mansfield. Land taken up by Captain George Hary and Captain Thomas Wombell sold to John Groves for love, etc., gives Thomas Wombell, Jr. all title to the land 2 Sep. 1664. George and Mary Jackson Hardy bought land from Arthur Smith and Sarah Jackson Smith (his wife), grandaughter of Alice Bennett, 9 Apr. 1666. George Hardy deeds Francis England 100 acres where George Branch formerly lived, towards James River, formerly called "Shadow Rock" and sold by Francis England to William Shoards, then sold to Richard Jackson, who afterwards gave it to his daughter, Mary Jackson, wife of George Hardy, 9 Jun 1666. George Hardy was Captain of Militia, and had an interest in several vessels. He was a generous supporter and a Vestryman of the Established Church in Isle of Wight County. He inherited the Old Mill from his uncle, George Hardy, along with his seal ring. He owned lands in Isle of Wight and what later became Surry County.
Source: Our Hardy Heritage, by Betty Barnes Couch, Page 66/67
"George Hardy came to Virginia before 1636, when he is call "Shipright". In 1644 he patented 300 acres.....situated upon Lawne's Creek and bordering upon Alice Bennett's land"...for the transportation of 6 persons...including James Strong.
Source: Ships Captains named Strong & Variations.
There is an abstract of the will of George Hardy, dated 16 Mar 1654/5 in the book "Virginia Land Records.
Mary Jackson (Elizabeth, Alice Pierce) to whom, with her sister Sarah, their grandmother deeded 150 acres of land in Isle of Wight county, 1647, married Captain George Hardy, who in 1648 had patented land across the creek from Alice Bennett. George Hardy, who made a deposition 9 April 1670 stating that he was 37 years of age, named I his will, 5 March 1693/94 - 9 June 1696, Isle of Wight two sons, two daughters and grandchildren. (Adventurers of Purse and Persons VA 1607-1625, Compiled and edited by Annie Lash Jester, 1956, p.271)
George Hardy, (1633-1693), from Eng. to Isle of Wight Co, VA., c1660; burgess, 1642-52; m. Mary Jackson (The Compendium of American Genealogy, Immigrant Ancestors, edited by Frederick Adams Virkus, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, Baltimore, 1980, p.36)
Captain George Hardy came from England before his parents about 1650. He was the owner of the Old Hardy Mill in Isle of Wight County, which is still standing. He owned large estates in both Isle of Wight and Surry Counties and had an interest in several vessels. He was a liberal supporter of the Established Church. He made his will 5 March 1693, and the same was probated in 1694. In his will henamed his daughters Margaret and Sarah, and his grandchildren, Richard and George Jarrett. (children of his daughter Mary.
Source: Hardy and Hardie Past and Present.
Father: John HARDY b: ABT 1613 in Bedfordshire, England
Mother: Olive COUNCIL b: ABT 1613 in Bedfordshire, England
Mary JACKSON b: 1640 in Isle of Wight Co, VA
in Isle of Wight Co, VA