HENRY SCROPE, son and heir, in 1289 acknowledged a debt to be levied in default of payment on his lands in co. York; in 1293-4-5 acquired lands in co. York, including the advowson of the church of Wensley with its chapels. In or about 1294, with William le Scrop, presumably his father, he was witness to a grant by Thomas de Richmond, lord of Burton Constable, from whom in 1294 he obtained a grant of the manor of Croft-on-Tees. On 8 September 1302 he executed a charter granting to the prioress of Marrick, co. York, peacefuI enjoyment of common in the wood of [Kirkby] Fleetham; 9 November 1304, witnessed at York a charter of Robert de Brus, Earl of Carrick; 27 March 1308 appointed a justice of the Common Pleas. From 1309 summoned among the justices and others of the Council to attend Councils and Parliaments. 1309, one of the six judges of the Common Bench specially appointed by the King. 1 May 1310, granted protection as attendant upon Gilbert de Clare, Earl of Gloucester and Hertford, the King's Lieutenant in England during his absence in Scotland. On 24 March 1310/1 he was going on the King's service to Scotland. In 1311, one of the executors of the will of Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln; 6 March 1311/12 to go with others to the Archbishop of Canterbury and bishops, earls and barons about to assemble in London, to explain certain matters touching ordinances made by them; 12 September 1311 withdrew from Parliament, and was peremptorily ordered to return, and not to absent himself again without the King's licence; 1311/12, obtained a grant to himself and his heirs of free warren in Fleetham, Fencotes, East and Little Bolton, and Paythorne, co. York; 1313, was granted by the King a rent in Medbourne, co. Leic, with the advowson of the church to hold by service of 1/2 knight; 1314, going to Wales upon the King's service; 10 May 1314 appointed a commissioner to treat with the clergy of the province of York; 20 September 1314 licensed to crenellate his dwelling-place at Fleetham; 15 November 1315 received letters of credence concerning the defence of the Scottish marches; 1316, certified as lord or joint lord of Croft, Walmire, Jolby, Fencotes, Kirkby Fleetham, Leeming, Bellerby, Bolton in Wensleydale, Bolton upon Swale, Paythorne and Edlington; 15 June 1317, appointed Chief Justice to hold pleas before the King in place of William Inge; 1317, obtained a grant of the manor of Wensley for life; 1319, Roald de Richmond granted to him and his heirs the reversion of all the lands which Harsculf de Cleseby had in the town and territory of Constable Burton; 1320, obtained a grant of free warren in West Bolton, Wensleydale and Sledmere; 5 April 1321, obtained land in Downholme, by agreement with the prioress of Marrick; 4 March 1322/3, granted all the lands in Caldwell and Uckerby late of Andrew de Harcla (late Earl of Carlisle) and the lands in Hornby late of Master Michael de Harcla, rebels; May 1323, summoned to repair to the King at York, travelling night and day;(c) 8 July 1323, superseded as Chief justice by Hervey de Staunton; 11 September 1323, Justice of the Forest this side Trent; 18 August 1324, and again, 13 July 1325, Justice of the Forest beyond Trent, to be chief keeper and surveyor of the King's parks and chaces beyond Trent; 8 November 1324, appointed with William Archbishop of York and his own brother Geoffrey to make a final peace with Robert de Brus; 10 September 1326, appointed a conservator of the peace for co. York; 5 February 1326/7, appointed 2nd justice of the Bench; 28 October 1329, reappointed Chief Justice; 19 December 1330, appointed Chief Baron of the Exchequer; 29 December 1330, to deliver to Geoffrey le Scrope, appointed to be Chief justice, the writs, rolls &c. in his hands. Having acquired the lands of Thomas de Richmond in co. York, he was regarded as the founder of Easby Abbey near Richmond, to which he was a benefactor. He was a Knight Banneret.
Father: William le SCROPE , of Wensley & Bolton, Sir b: ABT 1245 in Wensley, Leyburn, Yorkshire North Riding, England
Mother: Constance de NEWSOM b: ABT 1251 in Newsham, Richmond, Yorkshire North Riding, England
Marriage 1 Margaret de ROS b: ABT 1300 in Helmsley Castle, Yorkshire North Riding, England