Name: Fulk de CAUNTELO , of Calne 1
ALIA: Fulk de /Cantelou/, of Calne
Birth: ABT 1161 in Longueville, St Saviour, Jersey, Channel Isles
Death: AFT 1199 in Calne, Wiltshire, England 1
Fulk (or his descendants) must have died without issue, because Calne ended up with Millicent, who was a descendant of Fulk's brother William according to the following from VCH-Essex:
Before the Conquest the land of QUEMERFORD was almost certainly part of the king's estate called Calne, and as part of the rump of that estate, later called Calne manor, most of it was probably granted to Fulk de Cauntelo c. 1199. The rest evidently lay in holdings which were granted away piecemeal from the king's estate or from Calne manor.
Presumably as part of what was probably granted to Fulk de Cauntelo c. 1199 the lord of Calne manor held 4 yardlands in Quemerford which in 1274 was described as bureland, perhaps suggesting that it was demesne land converted to customary tenure; it was later called BOWERS manor. Much of Quemerford's land, including Bowers manor, descended with Calne and Calstone manors and from 1763 with Bowood House. From the 13th century or earlier land in Quemerford was part of Calstone Wylye manor. When, in 1585, the lord of Calne manor bought Calstone Wylye manor it was presumably added to his other land in Quemerford. In 1728 Calne and Calstone manor included c. 450 a. and pasture rights in Quemerford; the land lay mainly in six farms, of which the largest were Sands, Lower Sands, Quemerford, and Quemerford Common. In 1776 William, earl of Shelburne, the owner of Bowood House, bought a farm of 58 a. from Henry Vince, and in 1790, then marquess of Lansdowne, he bought a farm probably of 64 a. from Daniel Bull; the farmstead of the farm bought in 1790 was in 1728 that on the site of Wagon and Horses Cottages. In 1919 Henry, marquess of Lansdowne, sold Sands farm, 267 a. including Calne (formerly Calstone) Low and land in Abberd mead, and Lower Sands farm, 78 a., to W. A. Higgs. Apparently in the same year Sands farm was bought by H. K. Henly, who in 1942 sold 37 a. to the state for R.A.F. Compton Bassett and in 1947 bought Lower Sands farm. In the early 1950s Henly sold both farms, except a small part of Lower Sands farm, to E. H. Bradley & Sons Ltd., and in 2001 the land belonged to Aggregate Industries Ltd. In 1919 Lord Lansdowne sold Quemerford farm, 117 a., to W. A. Higgs, who sold it in 1923 to Thomas Davis (d. 1962). In 1979 Davis's sons and trustees H. W. and N. G. Davis sold the farm, then 107 a., to Mr. Anthony Whinney, the owner in 1996. In 1919 Lord Lansdowne sold Quemerford Common farm, 131 a., to M. L. Bodman. It passed to J. F. Bodman (d. 1969) and, 58 a., was offered for sale in that year.
In 1198 and until 1226 or later Maurice of Calne held a small estate at Quemerford by serjeanty. In 1231, then assessed at ½ yardland, it was settled by John son of Ellis on John son of Robert for the grantee's life; in 1255 it was held by John son of Ellis, in 1275 it was held for service as bailiff of Calne hundred by that John's son Thomas of Swindon, and in 1294 it passed on Thomas's death to his brother John Ellis. By 1289 Millicent de Montalt, the lord of Calne and Calstone manors and of Calne hundred, had successfully claimed that the land was held of her. It has not been traced further than 1294.
[From: 'Calne: Manors and other estates', A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 17: Calne (2002), pp. 64-79. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=18038&strquery=galiena. Date accessed: 26 August 2005]
Father: Walter de CANTELOU b: 1126 in Longueville, St Saviour, Jersey, Channel Isles
- Title: Victoria County History of Wiltshire, Volume 17, 2002, online at www.british-history.ac.uk
Page: Calne Manors - Quemerford