Name: Nathaniel BASSE , Capt.
Birth: 29 DEC 1589 in London, Middlesex, England
Death: 3 JUL 1654 in Isle of Wight Co, VA
Bullet FEB 1622/23 IMMIGRANT on "Sea Flower"
For a history of the early Bass/Basse family see: http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilmontgo/bios/basse.htm
The following is copied from http://www.geocities.com/knighthistory/Jamestown-Bennett.html, which is part of a website entitled "The History of the Knight Family", authored by Marion Carroll:
In 1607, the English sailed up the James River to a point of land named Warrosquoyake, located on the south side of the James River just below Jamestown. The island was named by a peaceful Indian tribe by the same name who occupied the land along the shore for about five miles and extending twenty miles into the interior.
The Warrosquoyake Indians provided Captain John Smith with badly need supplies on his first encounter with them, shortly after September 10, 1607. Smith also described a visit to the Warrosquoyake village in December, 1607, while on a mission to meet Chief Powhatan and to search for Raleigh’s lost colony in Carolina. The Indian Chief warned him not to trust Powhatan. When he left the Indian village, Smith left behind a young man, Samuel Collier, to learn the language. Collier became the first Englishman to reside in Warrosquoyake.
Several other Indian tribes lived on the South side of the James, including the Nansemond, the Nottoways, the Meherrin and the Chowan or Chowanoke.
Captain Lawne arrived in Jamestown in 1619 on the Marygold with one hundred settlers on board and established the first white settlement located at the mouth of a creek on the South side of the James across from Jamestown. He named the settlement Warrosquoyake. The creek soon became known as Lawne’s Creek, a name it bears to this day. The creek is the dividing line between Surry County and Isle of Wight County.
Captain Lawne and four-fifths of those with him died of malaria and other diseases within a year. An extension of time for seating was granted Lawne’s associates in 1620 and the name of the settlement was changed to Isle of Wight. The settlement and all its inhabitants were wiped out in the Indian Massacre of 1622.
In 1621, Captain Nathaniel Basse received a patent for a plantation on the south side of the James that became known as Basse’s Choice. All (or most) of the inhabitants that were at the plantation that day, died in the Indian Massacre of 1622. [NOTE: Captain Basse (and probably his family) were in England at the time of the massacre.]
Also in 1621, Edward Bennett, a wealthy London merchant, received a patent on condition that he settle 200 persons. His associates were his brother, Robert Bennett, his nephew, Richard Bennett, Thomas Ayres, Thomas Wiseman and Richard Wiseman.
The first settlers dispatched by Bennett arrived on the Sea Flower in February, 1622. There were 120 settlers, led by Captain Ralph Hamor, a member of the Virginia Council who had previously come to Virginia in 1609. Also in the group were George Harrison and Rev. William Bennett, kinsman of Edward Bennett. The Indian Massacre of Good Friday, 1622, occurred barely a month after their arrival. Fifty three persons were killed at Bennett’s Plantation. A total of 347 were killed of the twelve hundred and forty inhabitants of Virginia. Bennett’s plantation was abandoned.
Of the eighty plantations in Virginia before the massacre, the surviving inhabitants gathered together in eight plantations near Jamestown. The south side of the James River for fourteen miles down river from Hog Island was deserted.
In the Fall of 1622, Governor Sir George Yeardley commanded an expedition which drove out the Warrosquoyacke and the Nansemond Indians which allowed some of the settlers to return. A fort was built on Bennett’s plantation. The census of 1623 lists thirty-three living at Warrosquoyacke and twenty at Basse’s Choice. In 1625, there were only thirty-one persons living on the two plantations.
Although settlements occurred in the present day Isle of Wight County prior to the Indian Massacre, they were destroyed in 1622 and any real settlement must be dated from Good Friday, March 22, 1622.
Warrosquoyake was resettled after the Indian Massacre of March 22, 1622. The census of 1623 and a similar count in 1625 show the presence of settlers at both Basse’s Choice and Edward Bennett’s plantation which came to be known as Bennett’s Welcome.
Father: Humphrey BASSE b: ABT 1564 in London, Middlesex, England
Mother: Mary BUSCHIER b: ABT 1568 in Roanne, Rhone-Alpes, France
Mary JORDAN b: BEF 1595 in London, Middlesex, England
- Humphrey BASS b: 15 JUL 1615 in London, Middlesex, England
- John BASS b: 7 NOV 1616 in London, Middlesex, England
- William BASS b: 25 DEC 1618 in London, Middlesex, England
- Anthony BASS b: 13 MAR 1618/19 in London, Middlesex, England
- Edward BASS b: 8 MAY 1622
- Anne BASS , twin b: 9 SEP 1624 in Isle of Wight Co, VA
- Geneveve BASS , twin b: 9 SEP 1624 in Isle of Wight Co, VA