Name: Mary BRACKNEY 1
Birth: 9 JUL 1770 in Chesterfield, Burlington, NJ
Death: AFT 1835 in OH
The following notes were copied from Denali Porter, world connect db=portergroth:
BIRTH 1770: July 9, in Chester, Burlington County, New Jersey to John Brackney and Mary Cheesman, a Quaker couple. See Hinshaw New Jersey. She was the 6th of nine children, 6 boys and 3 girls. She was to grow up during the Revolution. But, of course, as Quakers, her family didn't believe in fighting wars.
MARRIAGE 1788: Evesham, Burlington Co, NJ, to Job Burden (Sr.) They had 11 children, and moved around a lot - see Hinshaw NJ, Fayette Co. PA, Stark Co. Ohio.
DEATH: Date and place unknown. Probably in Ohio, possibly near Alliance (Lexington is now under the Mahoning River). Her husband died in 1835 in Stark County, leaving her all his estate, 3 sons and 6 daughters still living .....at least it was that way when he made his will in 1822. When the Quaker religion 'disowned' their son Reuben, Job and Mary didn't - Reuben was mentioned in the will.
Judging from their church transfers Job and Mary Burden moved from Chester, New Jersey to Fayette County PA, to West Virginia, back to Fayette, to Columbiana County Ohio and then to Stark County by 1810 where they remained.
From the History of Stark Co. we read: "In 1805-6 a colony of Quakers located on the Mahoning and called the little settlement Lexington......platted in 1807.
....it never developed into much of a town. Mary Brackney Burden's life was a wilderness life; however, with 11 children, it was probably never a quiet one, nor lonely.
Father: John BRACKNEY b: ABT 1726 in Chesterfield, Burlington, NJ
Mother: Mary CHEESMAN b: BEF 9 JUN 1728 in Philadelphia, PA
Job BURDEN b: 8 SEP 1763 in Chester (Maple Shade) Twp, Burlington, NJ
8 AUG 1788
in Evesham, Burlington, NJ
- Sarah BURDEN b: 19 MAY 1788 in Evesham, Burlington, VA
- Levi BURDEN b: ABT 1790 in Evesham, Burlington, VA
- Reuben BURDEN b: 26 FEB 1792 in Fayette Co, PA
- Hannah BURDEN b: 14 FEB 1794 in Fayette Co, PA
- Job BURDEN b: 10 JAN 1796 in Harrison Co, WV
- Joel BURDEN b: 2 JUN 1798 in Harrison Co, WV
- Mary BURDEN b: 23 AUG 1800 in Westland, Washington, PA
- Lydia BURDEN b: 30 APR 1803 in Redstone, Fayettte, PA
- David BURDEN b: 16 AUG 1805 in Westland, Washington, PA
- Anna BURDEN b: 31 OCT 1807 in Westland, Washington, PA
- Rachel BURDEN b: 3 AUG 1810 in Salem, Columbiana, OH
- Title: The Encyclopedia of Quaker Genealogy 1750-1930, Genealogical Publishing House, Genealogy (online) Library, Genealogy.com
Page: 764, Salem Monthly Meeting Notes
Text: Mary Burden, parent of Sarah