Name: Alice FITZHERBERT , Heir of Barton Peverel 1 2 3 4
Birth: ABT 1340 in Midsomer Norton, Clutton, Somerset, England
Death: BEF 1 SEP 1395 in Barton Peverel, South Stoneham, Hampshire, England 5 3
Burial: Christchurch Priory, Lambeth, London, England
He [Thomas West] married, before 1365, Alice, sister and heir of Sir Edmund FITZHERBERT, of Midsomer Norton, Somerset, and Hinton Martell, Dorset (died shortly before 18 April 1387), daughter of Reynold FITZHERBERT, of the same (died 12 September 1346), by Joan, daughter of Sir Edmund HAKLUYT. He died 3 September 1386, aged about 65. His widow died shortly before 1 September 1395 an was buried in Christchurch Priory, Hants. [Complete Peerage XII/2:519, (transcribed by Dave Utzinger)]
The manor of BARTON in South Stoneham iscalled BARTON PEVEREL, from the family of Peverel, which appears to have held it from a very early date.
Andrew Peverel inherited lands there in 1227 on the death of his father Robert. On Andrew's death it passed to his son Thomas, who died in 1306, being followed by his son Andrew, who died in 1328, and his grandson, another Andrew, successively.
The latter died without issue in 1376, when Barton Peverel was divided between his two great nephews, Edward Fitz Herbert and John Brocas,grandsons respectively of his sisters Lucy and Alice.
On the death of John Brocas without issue in 1377-8 Edward acquired the whole manor, which in 1387, subject to the life interest of his widow Joan, passed to his sister Alice, wife of Thomas West. Her son Thomas, and his two sons, Thomas and Reginald, afterwards Lord De La Warr, held it successively.
From Reginald it passed to Richard, and thence to Thomas West, who in 1539 sold Barton Peverel manor to Peter Philpott...
From: 'Parishes: South Stoneham', A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 3 (1908), pp. 481-489. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42035&strquery=sandford peverel Date accessed: 08 May 2012.
Father: Reynold FITZHERBERT , of Midsomer & Hinton, Sir b: ABT 1313 in Midsomer Norton, Clutton, Somerset, England
Mother: Joan HAKLUYT b: ABT 1312 in Dynevor Castle, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Thomas WEST , MP, of Oakhanger, Sir b: ABT 1321 in Hempston Cantelupe, Totnes, Devon, England
- Thomas 1st Baron WEST , of Oakhanger, Sir b: 1365 in Oakhanger, Selborne, Hampshire, England
- Title: Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists, 7th Edition, by Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Shippard Jr., 1999
- Title: Magna Charta Sureties 1215, Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Sheppard Jr, 5th Edition, 1999
- Title: Complete Peerage of England Scotland Ireland Great Britain and the United Kingdom, by G. E Cokayne, Sutton Publishing Ltd, 2000
- Title: VCH of Hampshire, 1908, William Page, www.british-history.ac.uk
Page: vol 3, p. 481-9
- Title: Burke's Peerage & Baronetage, 106th Edition, Charles Mosley Editor-in-Chief, 1999