Name: Roger BYRON , of Horestan, Sir
ALIA: Roger /Buron/, of Horestan, Sir
Birth: ABT 1142 in Horestan/Horsley Castle, Derbyshire, England
Sir Roger de Buron lived in the reigns of Henry II, Richard I and John and gave certain lands to
the church of Swinsted and the monks there, as appears by a confirmation thereof by Henry II, in
whose reign he paid œ10 scutage for the ten knights' fees in Nottingham and Derby. Also in the
6th year of Richard I, Coeur de Lion, on the aid of twenty shillings for each knight's fees for that
king's redemption, he answered for ten knights' fees. (The Germans held Richard prisoner when he
was on the way home from the crusade. Read Sir Walter Scott's novel, "The Talisman." E. E. W.)
He married Nichola, daughter of Roeland de Verdon, who survived him and had for her second
husband Anketin de Briscard, but being married without the king's consent her lands were
seized and for some of them she was fined in the 2nd year of King John. By Roger de Buron
she had Peter and Robert.
Source: Kin of Mellcene Thurman Smith
- Genealogical Tables of the Noble Families of England
- Pedigrees of the English Peers, by Edmondson, Vol. 4, p. 390.
- Collins' History of the English Peers, Vol. 7, pp. 89 to 95.
- Baines' History of County of Lancaster, England, Vol. 2, pp. 616 and 532.
- Banks' Dormant and Extinct Peerage, Vol. 1, p. 48.
- Ancestry of My Children, by Lina V. D. Cherry, pp. 104/5.
Father: Hugh de BYRON , of Horestan, Sir b: ABT 1115 in Horestan/Horsley Castle, Derbyshire, England
Mother: Albreda le MESCHIN b: ABT 1120 in Copeland, Cumberland, England
Nichola de VERDON b: ABT 1145
- Robert BYRON , of Horestan, Sir b: ABT 1165 in Horestan/Horsley Castle, Derbyshire, England