Name: Joan FITZALAN 1 2 3
ALIA: Joan /Arundel/
Birth: ABT 1375 in Lytchett Matravers, Poole, Dorset, England
Death: 1 SEP 1404 2 3
Burial: Etchingham, Ticehurst, Sussex, England
Joan Fitz Alan, of Arundel, d. 1 Sep 1404; m. (1) Sir William de Brien; m. (2) c 1401 Sir William de Echyngham of Echyngham, co. Suffolk, d. 20 Mar 1412/3. [Magna Charta Sureties]
Note: I believe Echyngham is in Sussex; and is now known as Etchingham.
Joan Arundel elder daughter. She married (1st ) William de Bryan (or Brian), Knt., of Kemsing and Seale, Kent, and Woodmansterne, Surrey, Captain of Merk Castle in the Marches of Calais, 2nd son of Guy de Bryan, KG, Lord Bryan, by his 2nd wife, Elizabeth, daughter of William de Montagu, 1st Earl of Salisbury, 3rd Lord Montagu, Marshal of England. They had no issue. He died 23 Sep 1395, and was buried at Seale, Kent. She married (2nd ) before 1400 (as his 1st wife) William Echingham, Knt, of Etchingham, Sussex. They had one son, Thomas, Knt., and one daughter, Joan [married John Baynton, Knt., of Faulstone (in Bishopston), Wiltshire]. She was a legatee in the 1401 will of Agnes Arundel, widow of her brother, William Arundel, KG. His wife, Joan, died 1 Sep 1404. He married (2nd) Alice Batisford, daughter and co-heiress of William Batisford, of Buckholt (in Bexhill), Sussex, by Margery, daughter and heiress of Simon de Peplesham. They had two daughters, Elizabeth (wife of Thomas Hoo, Knt, and Thomas Lewknor, Knt) and Joan (wife of Wailliam Rykhill). Sir William Echingham died 20 March 1412/13. He and his wife Joan were buried at Etchingham, Sussex. [Magna Carta Ancestry]
NOTE: Tony Ingham & Charlotte Smith, in posts to SGM, have conflicting information about the order of William Echingham's marriages and the children by each marriage. See notes under William Echingham.
Father: John 1st Baron d' ARUNDEL , Sir b: AFT 1347 in Betchworth, Surrey, England
Mother: Eleanor MALTRAVERS , Baroness Mautravers b: ABT 1345 in Woolcombe Matravers, Dorchester, Dorset, England
William de BRIENE , of Kemsing & Seale, Sir b: ABT 1359 in Walwyn's Castle, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales
in 1st husband 3 2
William de ECHYNGHAM , Sir b: ABT 1362 in Etchingham, Ticehurst, Sussex, England
in 2nd husband 1st wife 4
in 2nd husband 2 3
- Thomas de ECHYNGHAM , Sir b: ABT 1401 in Etchingham, Ticehurst, Sussex, England
- Joan de ECHYNGHAM b: BEF 1404 in Etchingham, Ticehurst, Sussex, England
- Title: The Royal Descents of 500 Immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States, by Gary Boyd Roberts, 1993
- Title: Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists, 7th Edition, by Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Shippard Jr., 1999
- Title: Magna Charta Sureties 1215, Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Sheppard Jr, 5th Edition, 1999
- Title: Magna Carta Ancestry, by Douglas Richardson, 2005, Genealogical Publishing Co.