Name: Jordan Seigneur de CAMBERON , Sir 1 2
ALIA: Jordan de /Campo Enulfi/
Birth: ABT 1130 in Cambernon, Manche, Normandy, France
Death: BEF 1166 in Ilfracombe, Barnstaple, Devon, England 2
Death: AFT 1172 1
Following is a post from Ronny Bodine to soc.genealogy.medieval.
From: RBodine996 (rbodine996 AT aol.com)
Subject: THE EARLY CHAMPERNOUNS
1. JORDAN de CHAMBERNUN. Seigneur de Cambernon and Maisoncelles in Normandy, France. In 1146 Jordan de Campo Ernulfi was first witness of a confirming charter of Henry de Tracy, then Baron of Barnstaple to the Priory of St. Mary Magdalene, Barnstaple, Devonshire. He appears to have died by 1166, when his sons Jordan and Henry were in possession of his lands.
He married, as her first husband, Mabel, daughter of Robert, son of Robert, Earl of Gloucester, and Hawise, daughter of Baldwin de Redvers, 1st Earl of Devon. Mabel married 2ndly, William de Soliers. As Mabel de Soliers, she confirmed in c1193-1204 a gift charter of the manors of Fleet and Ibberton, Dorsetshire from her mother, Hawise, to her son, Richard de Chambernun. (Charters of the Redvers Family, 11, 146; DCNQ, 18: 3-7, 81-84, 108-112, 319-320)
2. Jordan de Chambernun, m. Emma de Soligny.
3. Richard de Chambernun.
4. Henry de Chambernun, m. Rose de Tracy.
That Robert, a little known son of the Earl of Gloucester was even married, is revealed in a charter dated between June 1141 and 1161, probably before Oct 1147, in which Hawise, daughter of Earl Baldwin de Redvers, made a gift to Quarr Abbey jointly with her husband, Robert, son of the Earl of Gloucester. CP, 5: 686 states Robert was a natural son of Earl Robert and that he was named c1160 in a charter and is addressed in a writ from King Henry II as Castellan of Gloucester.
Mabel of GLOUCESTER b: ABT 1142 in Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
in 1st husband 2
- Jordan de CHAMPERNOUN , of Umberleigh, Sir b: ABT 1157 in High Bickington, Torrington, Devon, England
- Richard de CHAMPERNOUN b: ABT 1159 in Ilfracombe, Barnstaple, Devon, England
- Henry de CHAMPERNOUN , of Ilfracombe, Sir b: ABT 1160 in Ilfracombe, Barnstaple, Devon, England
- Title: Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists, 7th Edition, by Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Shippard Jr., 1999
- Title: Newsgroup: soc.genealogy.medieval, at groups - google.com
Page: Ronny Bodine, 18 Feb 1999