Name: Elizabeth POLLEXFEN 1
Birth: ABT 1530 in Kitley Manor in Yealmpton, Plympton St Mary, Devon, England
Death: AFT 1571
YEALMTON, or YALMETON, in the hundred and deanery of Plympton, lies about four miles from Plympton, and nine from Plymouth, by the old road; but across the ferry, called the Flying Bridge, between six and seven. Yealmton is described in ancient records as a borough. The village of Dunston is in this parish. A great cattle-market is held at Yealmton on the fourth Wednesday in every month.
Risdon begins his account of Yealmton by saying, Here, according to tradition, the Saxon king, Ethelwold, had his palace, whose lieutenant, Lipsius, was also here interred.
The manor of Yealmton, or Yalhampton, was given by King John to Matthew Fitzherbert, Lord of Stokenham, and it passed with that manor to the earls of Huntingdon. Henry Earl of Huntingdon sold it, in or about the year 1580, to Sir John Hele. The heiress of Hele married Sir Edward Hungerford, by whom it was conveyed, in 1670, to Edmund Pollexfen, Esq., of Kitley, in this parish, and his heiress brought it to the ancestor of Edmund Pollexfen Bastard, Esq., M. P., the present proprietor. The lords of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment.
The Pollexfens resided at Kitley as early as the reign of Queen Elizabeth. Edmund Pollexfen, the last of the family, died in 1710. In consequence of their marriage with the heiress of Pollexfen, the Bastards removed their residence from Garston to Kitley. William Bastard, Esq., grandson of the heiress of Pollexfen, was created a baronet in 1779; the creation was gazetted, but Mr. Bastard declined the intended honor. Kitley is now the seat of Edmund Pollexfen Bastard, Esq., one of the members for the county, and nephew of the late Mr. Bastard. The manors of Bowdon and Dunston belong also to Mr. Bastard. Bowdon gave name to an ancient family, from whom it passed, by successive heirs female, to Colland, Lawtram, Stone, and Copleston. A branch of the last-mentioned family resided at Bowdon for several generations. The executors of Thomas Copleston, Esq., the last of that family, sold it, in 1753, to William Bastard, Esq., above mentioned, grandfather of the present proprietor. Bowdon is now a farm-house. Mr. Bastard has also another manor of Yealmton, which had belonged to the Prideaux family.
[Parishes: Winkleigh - Zeal Monachorum', Magna Britannia: volume 6: Devonshire (1822), pp. 562-579. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk]
Father: Thomas POLLEXFEN , of Kitley b: ABT 1502 in Kitley Manor in Yealmpton, Plympton St Mary, Devon, England
John HELE , of Leweston b: ABT 1525 in Holbeton, Plympton St Mary, Devon, England
- Walter HELE , of Gnaton & Holbeton b: ABT 1550 in Gnaton in Newton Ferrers, Plympton St Mary, Devon, England
- Title: Visitation of the County of Devon in the Year 1620, edited by Frederic Thomas Colby, 1872, https://archive.org