Name: John PAYNE 1
Birth: 3 FEB 1657/58 in Rehoboth, Bristol, MA 1
Death: 28 SEP 1718 in Providence, Providence, RI 2
John lived in Swansea, MA., in 1663 and was a surveyor if highways in 1686 and had properties in Swansea, Bristol and Providence.
Named as a heir in his grandfather's will, John received a 10 acre lots "In Swansea on the east side Swansea River, Between Capt. Thomas Willet's and one Chafee's Meadow." These in additions to land in Bristol from his deceased father and brother Benjamin's estates (Suffolk Co. Probate, Dated October 30, 1679).
While living in Swansea he was active in public affairs, and served as a representative. His wife was probably the Mrs. Elizabeth Paine admitted to communion at Nathaniel Paine's church in Bristol. On April 11, 1711 John purchased a farm of Richard Phillips. located in the (Now) Elmwood section of Providence, a portion of which bordered on Mashapauge Pond.
It appears Rebecca, John's sixth child, married Abel Potter, she was the stepdaughter of Martha, John's second wife. Later after John died it appears that Martha, John's second wife, married Abel Potter, thus keeping it all in the family.
Father: Stephen PAYNE , Jr. b: 20 SEP 1629 in Great Ellingham, Norfolk, England c: 1659 in Oath of Fidelity - Tanner
Mother: Anna CHICKERING b: 1634 in St James, Elmham, Suffolk, England
Elizabeth BELCHER b: 10 JUL 1663 in Boston, Suffolk, MA
3 FEB 1679/80
in Rehoboth, Bristol, MA 2
- Elizabeth PAYNE b: 12 JUL 1682
- John PAYNE , Jr. b: FEB 1682/83
- Stephen PAYNE b: 5 JUN 1686
- Josiah PAYNE b: 17 MAR 1686/87
- Joseph PAYNE b: 3 MAY 1693
- Rebecca PAYNE b: 1 MAY 1694
- Soloman PAYNE b: 21 JUN 1696
- Benjamin PAYNE b: 1699 in Providence, Providence, Rhode Island
- Nathaniel PAYNE b: ABT 24 AUG 1701
- Gideon PAYNE b: 1703 in Swansea, MA
- Urania PAINE b: 4 JUL 1706
Martha SMITH b: 20 OCT 1686 in Taunton, Bristol, MA
in Taunton, Bristol, MA 3
- William PAYNE b: 11 NOV 1711 in Swansea, MA
- Abigail PAYNE b: 13 OCT 1713 in Providence, Providence, Rhode Island
- Ezekial PAYNE b: 26 AUG 1715 in Providence, Providence, Rhode Island
- Samuel PAYNE b: 22 NOV 1717 in Providence, Providence, Rhode Island
- Title: English Ancestry of Sephen Paine, by Sidney L Paine, NEHGR, Oct 1989, pp 291-302