Name: Aline le FLEMING , Heiress of Aldingham 1 2 3 4
Birth: ABT 1236 in Aldingham, Lancashire/Cumbria, England
Death: BEF 1284
Inherited through brother Sir Michael.
Manor of Furness, Lancashire:
In 1284 the Abbot of Furness acknowledged that Aline de Cansfield deceased, mother of John de Cansfield, then under age, held of him the manor of Aldingham by homage, suit at Dalton court, and £10 rent; but he claimed the custody of the heir, which the Cansfields refused on the ground that the tenure was not by knight's service. The descent was traced from Michael de Furness, great-grandfather of John, the abbot alleging that Michael's son and heir William was left a minor and that the then abbot had had his wardship and marriage. Aline on succeeding had paid a double rent, £20, as relief. The dispute was not decided at once apparently, though the abbot retained possession, and it is supposed to have occasioned the violent death of one of the monks at Aldingham in 1288, in which year the abbot complained that he had been forcibly ejected from his custody of the manor by William brother and heir of John de Cansfield, Robert de Harrington and others. At last in 1290 William son of Richard de Cansfield made agreement with the abbot, acknowledging explicitly that he held by knight's service, viz. by the fortieth part of a fee; the abbot on his part renounced all claim to damages.
Aline's issue retained the lordship, for, though her sons failed, her daughter Agnes by her husband Robert de Harrington, lord of Harrington in Cumberland, (fn. 83) left a son John, afterwards known as John de Harrington of Aldingham.
['The parish of Furness', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8 (1914), pp. 285-304. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk]
Father: William le FLEMING , of Aldingham & Urswick b: ABT 1219 in Muchland in Furness, Aldingham, Lancashire, England
Mother: Eleanor b: ABT 1219
Robert de CANSFIELD , of Farleton & Cancefield b: ABT 1233 in Cantsfield, Lundesdale, Lancashire, England
- Agnes heiress de CANSFIELD & Aldingham b: ABT 1254 in Aldingham, Lancashire/Cumbria, England
- Title: Burke's Peerage & Baronetage, 106th Edition, Charles Mosley Editor-in-Chief, 1999
- Title: Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists, 7th Edition, by Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Shippard Jr., 1999
- Title: Complete Peerage of England Scotland Ireland Great Britain and the United Kingdom, by G. E Cokayne, Sutton Publishing Ltd, 2000
- Title: VCH - Lancashire:. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk