Name: William de RADCLIFFE & Edgeworth, Sheriff, Sir 1 2
ALIA: William de /Radclyffe/
Birth: ABT 1165 in Radcliffe Manor, Bury, Lancashire, England
Death: BEF 1221 in Edgeworth, Bolton, Lancashire, England 2
At his death in 1066 Edward the Confessor held RADCLIFFE as one hide. The extent of the royal manor must have been much greater than that of the present township, which was in 1212 assessed as one plough-land only. Allowing for a reduction of the assessment by a third, it is clear that the later manor of Radcliffe can have been but a fourth part of the original one. At the later date mentioned it formed part of the Marsey fee, and was held of Ranulf son of Roger by William de Radcliffe. William was in possession in 1193, when he proffered 5 marks for having the king's favour after the rebellion of John, Count of Mortain. In 1199 he paid 10 marks for an inquiry concerning land in Hartshead, and later he contributed to tallage and scutage. In 1202 he secured an acknowledgement of his right to the advowson of Radcliffe Church. He was one of the 'trusty knights' who made the great Survey of 1212, at which time he was found to hold, in addition to Radcliffe, 12 oxgangs in Edgeworth. He died before 1221, when his widow Eugenia sued Adam de Radcliffe for her dower in a plough-land in Radcliffe, a plough-land in Edgeworth, and 4 oxgangs of land in Little Lever.
Adam de Radcliffe is mentioned in 1223, and in 1227 acknowledged the service due to the lord of Manchester for Little Lever. In 1246 as Adam son of William de Radcliffe he was acquitted of having disseised Adam son of Alexander de Radcliffe and Peter son of Adam of 4 acres of common of pasture in Radcliffe, where he had dug a mine; but he was convicted of other disseisin. Adam had also to answer Cecily de Gorhull, who claimed an oxgang in Radcliffe, of which she alleged William father of Adam had disseised her, but he alleged that Hugh son of Spraging, Cecily's father, had exchanged that oxgang for other land in Gorhull. Geoffrey son of Hugh de Gorhull in 1284 claimed a messuage and lands in Radcliffe against Richard son of Robert de Radcliffe.
Richard de Radcliffe was in 1302 holding the eighth part of a fee in Radcliffe of the Earl of Lancaster. Two years later he had from the king a grant of free warren in his demesne lands of Radcliffe and Quarlton. William son of Richard de Radcliffe is next found in possession. He married Margaret daughter and heir of Adam de Hindley, and with her had Peasfurlong, a fourth part of Culcheth. In 1324 he held the manor of Radcliffe by homage and the yearly service of 6s. for castle-ward and 2s. 6d. for sake fee, and by the service of the half and the tenth part of a knight's fee.
Richard son of William succeeded, and in 1346 held Radcliffe by the half and tenth part of a knight's fee, the service of 2s. 6d. a year, and puture. He occurs in various ways down to 1371, and appears to have been followed by his grandson James, who in 1403 received the king's licence to rebuild the manor house at Radcliffe, erecting a hall and two towers of stone, and fortifying them with crenellation and battlements. He died in 1409, holding the manor of Radcliffe, the fourth part of Culcheth, and other lands; Richard his son and heir was thirty years of age. Livery was at once granted to the heir, who was knight of the shire in 1425. He died in or before 1442, and was succeeded by his son James, whose son John followed and died in 1485, holding the manor of Radcliffe and the advowson of the church, and various other manors and lands; the heir, his son Richard, was thirty-one years of age.
From: 'The parish of Radcliffe', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5 (1911), pp. 56-67. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53000&strquery=radcliffe tower Date accessed: 13 June 2012.
Father: Henry de RADCLIFFE , Sir b: ABT 1145 in Radcliffe Manor, Lancashire, England
Eugenia b: ABT 1168
- Adam de RADCLIFFE & Little Lever b: ABT 1190 in Radcliffe Manor, Bury, Lancashire, England
- Title: Pedigrees of Lancashire Families Vol I, Ed III, by Joseph Foster, 1876
- Title: VCH of Lancaster, 1918, editted by William Farrer & J Brownbill, www.british-history.ac.uk