Name: Walter I GIFFARD , Seigneur of Longueville 1 2
Birth: ABT 1005 in Longueville-sur-Scie, Seine-Inferieure, Normandy, France
Death: 1084 3
Death: 1085 2
Walter Giffard, d. 1084, Lord of Longueville, a companion of William I at Battle of Hastings, 1066, son of Osbern de Bolbec, seigneur of Longueville-sur-Scie in Normandy 1028-1035, and Duvelina, sister of the Duchess Gunnora; m. Agnes, daughter of Girard Flatel. [Ancestral Roots]
Note: Turton has Walter as son of Osbern II de Bolbec, son of Osbern by Avelina de Crepon (making his grandmother & grandfather more or less the same as Ancestral Roots has as his father & mother). I have chosen to stay with Ancestral Roots.
The following post-em, by Mike Lysell, mlysell AT comcast.net, also has Walter as grandson of Osbern I, but with another Walter (instead of Turton's Osbern II) in between as father (I am still sticking with AR):
Jim - Carl Boyer, in "Medievil English Ancestors of Certian Americans", page 104, shows Walter, the son of Osbern I, as born in 978 with a brother Godfrey and a son Walter who was born in 1010. According to Boyer, Walter married Emmengard Flaitel and had the following children:
i. Osbert (Osbern, Bolebec), d. by 1095
ii. Rohese, b. say 1045
iv. Walter, 1st Earl of Buckingham; b. say 1051; d. Jul 15, 1102; m. Agnes de Ribemont
v. Berenger, possible son, b. say 1054
Boyer cites Vernon M. Noor’s "Some Early English Pedigrees" as a source.
Note: I have seen discussions about this in SGM, and Todd Farmerie says that the dates for Walter are "long" and numerous authors have suggested that the original sources had compressed two Walter de Giffards into one person, but that there is no proof one way or the other.
Father: Osbern I de BOLBEC , Seigneur of Longueville b: ABT 945 in Bolbec, Seine-Inferieure, Normandy, France
Mother: Avelina (Wevia) de ARQUE b: ABT 957 in Arque, Seine-Inferieure, Normandy, France
Agnes FLATEL b: ABT 1014 in Evreux, Eure, Normandy, France
- Osbert (Osbern) I GIFFARD , Lord of Brimpsfield b: ABT 1030 in Longueville-sur-Scie, Seine-Inferieure, Normandy, France
- Rohese GIFFARD b: ABT 1036 in Longueville-sur-Scie, Seine-Inferieure, Normandy, France
- Walter II GIFFARD , Earl of Buckingham b: ABT 1040 in Longueville-sur-Scie, Seine-Inferieure, Normandy, France
- Title: Magna Charta Sureties 1215, Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Sheppard Jr, 5th Edition, 1999
Text: father of Rohese
- Title: The Plantagenet Ancestry, by William Henry Turton, 1968
- Title: Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists, 7th Edition, by Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Shippard Jr., 1999