Name: * John R. MOODY
Given Name: * John R.
Birth: 12 May 1806 in Guilford Co., NC
Death: 29 Jan 1875 in Wilson Co., TN
Additional information on the Moody family.
Change Date: 17 Mar 2011 at 01:00:00
John R. Moody was born in Guilford Co., North Carolina1 on 12 May 18062 the son of Thomas L. Moody and Thankful McCuiston.3 He was obtained a marriage bond in Wilson County, Tennessee on 18 September 1827 with Cassander Allison.4 The bondsman was her brother-in-law Thomas Allmon. They were married two days later on the 20th.5 Cassander Florida Allison was born on 6 June 18126 in Wilson County. She was the daughter of William Allison7 and wife Elizabeth.8
John R. Moody appeared in the 1828 and 1829 District 25, Wilson County, Tennessee tax lists with no land.9 His mother-in-law Elizabeth Allison was also in that District. He was in the 1830 Wilson County census, but not the tax list. He also did not appear in the Wilson County tax lists of 1831, 1832, 1833, 1834, or 1835.
On 28 September 1835 John R. Moody purchased a pair of chains for $0.31 1/4 from the estate of Samuel D. Smoot in Henry County., Tennessee.10 John R. Moody appeared in the 1835,11 and 183612 Henry Co., Tennessee tax lists along with Isaac N. Moody and Elijah W. Moody. The next existing Henry County tax list was 1841. By 1840 John R. Moody had returned to Wilson County and was in the census there.
John was listed as a blacksmith in the Wilson County 1850, 1860, and 1870 census records. His wife Cassander died on 20 September 1870, and John died on 29 January 1875.13
On 24 January 1877 Robert A. Moody and John N. Moody in Benton County, Arkansas sold their shares of the land of their deceased father John R. Moody to their brother E. W. Moody in District 17.14 On 3 April 1877, S.T. Moody and J. F. Moody also sold their shares to their brother E.W. Moody. In both deeds it was stated that John R. Moody died in 1874.15 As the 1875 tax list has John R. Moody, and not John R. Moody's heirs, the 1875 death is probably correct.
1. Residence of father.
2. Family pages from the Bible of grandson, F. E. Stroud Photocopy in possession of Fredric Z. Saunders, 1234 Waterside Cove #21, Midvale, UT 84047-4293. Original was in possession of F.E.Stroud's daughter Mildred (Stroud) Blair of Sun City, AZ (deceased 1992). Publication date unknown. The Bible was water damaged and thrown away, and only the family pages were kept. A scan of the original pages will be e-mailed on request.
3. Thomas L. Moody was a blacksmith (Guilford Co., NC Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions, Nov. 1794, p. 279) He married Thankful McCuiston (NC marriage bond index, 3 Nov. 1802). The Bible of Elijah W. Moody stated his mother was Thankful. (Bible Records of Calloway County and Adjoining Counties, collected by The Calloway County Genealogical Society, 1971, p. 254) Verbal information of descendants stated that Isaac Newton Moody and Elijah W. Moody were brothers. Isaac N. Moody was listed in census records as a blacksmith, apparently learned from his father Thomas L. Moody. Evidence linking John R. Moody of Wilson County, Tennessee to the family of Henry County, Tennessee is:
a. John R. Moody was a blacksmith.
b. The only John R. Moody in TN census indexes in 1830 and 1840 was in Wilson County.
c. John R. Moody did not appear in Wilson County, TN tax lists in the 1830s but did appear in 1835 and 1836
Henry Co., TN tax lists. The 1835 list was not by districts, but in 1836 Isaac N., Elijah, and John R. Moody
were all in District 15.
d. John R. Moody purchased items from an estate in 1835 in Henry County.
e. There are no records of a John R. Moody in Henry County before or after this time.
f. At the time John R. Moody was in Henry County, he named a son born on 2 March 1836, Elijah Wittie Moody.
g. Both John R. Moody and Elijah W. Moody named sons Robert A. Moody, the name of another possible son
of Thomas L. Moody.
h. John R., Elijah W. , and Isaac N. Moody all named sons Timothy.
i. Elijah W. named a daughter Cassander, apparently after John R.'s wife.
j. In 1850 Wilson County, TN, John R. Moody was in household #1301. In #1298 was Vivant Bevill and in
#1299 was Ezekiel C. Witty. In Guilford County, NC Thomas L. Moody was a near neighbor to Elijah Witty, Sr.
In 1821 Guilford County, NC, Thomas L. Moody and Alexander Bevill were both bondsman on a bastardy
bond of Samuel Thompson. In 1833 in neighboring Rockingham County, Alexander Bevell proved a deed by
proving the signature of Thomas L. Moody, one of the witnesses. In 1821 in Guilford County, Alexander Bevill
(relationship not given) was one of the witnesses to the will of William Bevill. William Bevill named (among
others) a son Vivant Bevill. Vivant Bevill had married Tabitha Witty, daughter of Elijah Witty, Sr. who wrote his
will in 1841 in Rockingham Co., NC and named children by his present wife Traney: Levi R. Witty, Levin C.
Witty, Sarah C. Rhodes, and Tabitha W. Bevell. By his first wife, Elijah Witty, Sr. was the father of Ezekiel C.
Witty. Ezekiel Witty was in Wilson Co., TN by 1817 when he married Mary Allison, sister to John R. Moody's
k. John R. Moody's eldest son was named "William McCuintin Moody" probably a misreading
by the county clerk of the original document and supposed to be McCuistin. (Wilson Co., TN
Trust Deeds QQ: 519)
l. John R. Moody's son William Mc. Moody was married in Henry County, TN.
m. Elijah W. Moody on his Civil War pension stated he was born in Henry Co., TN.
4. Wilson County, Tennessee. marriage bonds, 1827, alphabetical by groom, FHL microfilm 0,430,831.
5. F. E. Stroud family Bible.
6. F. E. Stroud family Bible.
7. William Ellison (signed William x Allison) will, (1812), Wilson County, Tennessee 1802-1814 Will and Inventory Book, pp. 314-315, FHL microfilm 0,430,841.
8. F. E. Stroud Family Bible.
9. Wilson County, Tennessee tax lists, FHL microfilm 0430,885.
10. Laura Wills, transcriber, Henry County, Tenn. Wills Vol. 3, (July 1835-Mar. 1838), (Melber, KY: Simmons Historical Publications, 1997), 2 (Will Bk. D, p. 105).
11. Henry County, Tennessee tax lists, 1835, FHL microfilm 1,011,525.
12. Ansearchin News, Vol. 28, (Fall 1981): 139.
13. F. E. Stroud Family Bible.
14. Wilson County., Tennessee Deed Book M2:112-113, FHL microfilm 0,427,186.
15. Wilson County, Tennessee Deed Book M2:198-199, FHL microfilm 0,427,186.
Father: * Thomas L. MOODY b: ABT 1778 in Guilford Co., NC
Mother: * Thankful McCUISTON b: in NC
* Cassander Florida ALLISON b: 6 Jun 1812 in Wilson Co., TN
20 Sep 1827
in Wilson Co., TN
- William McCuinton [McCuiston] MOODY b: ABT 1829 in Wilson Co., TN
- Samuel Thomas MOODY b: 10 Mar 1831 in Wilson Co., TN
- Timothy M. MOODY b: 7 Aug 1833 in Wilson Co., TN
- Elijah Wittie MOODY b: 2 Mar 1836 in Henry Co., TN
- * Margaret Elizabeth MOODY b: 7 Aug 1838 in TN
- Nancy J. MOODY b: ABT 1840 in Wilson Co., TN
- Julia MOODY b: ABT 1842 in Wilson Co., TN
- Mary M. MOODY b: ABT 1843 in Wilson Co., TN
- Robert A. MOODY b: 5 Nov 1846 in Wilson Co., TN
- America T. MOODY b: 1 Aug 1849 in Wilson Co., TN
- John N. MOODY b: ABT 1852 in Wilson Co., TN
- James F. MOODY b: 16 Apr 1854 in Wilson Co., TN