Name: * John MINGLE
Given Name: * John
Birth: say 1760 in Lancaster Co., PA
Death: from 10 Apr 1801 to 12 Oct 1802 in Wythe Co., VA
Additional information on the Mingle family.
Change Date: 24 Feb 2008 at 00:00:00
John Mingle was born about 1760, the son of Johann Wilhelm Mengel1 and his wife Anna Catharina Hirschners. He was named in his father's will written in 1773 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. There was a migration of several families from there to what became Wythe Co., Virginia. It is uncertain if John Mingle came at the same time, or later. He settled in Virginia among these families that had been neighbors in Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania.2
The first record found of John Mingle in Virginia is in the 1788 Montgomery County, Virginia tax list. The list was taken on 19 September and he possessed no slaves and no horses. In the 1789 Montgomery County tax list he appeared in a group taken on September 30 that lived on the Middle Fork Holston, Bear Creek, Nick's Creek, Hunger's Mother, Ratcliff's Marsh, and the head waters of Reed Creek, on a dividing ridge between the Reed and Holston. This area became part of Wythe County in 1789, and part of Smyth County in 1832.
On 16 August 1791 Frederick Castle entered a warrant for 60 acres on Reed Creek joining his own land on the south and Daniel Pirkey, David Vaught, and John Mangle. This was withdrawn and assigned to William Ward on 25 October 1794.3
Robert Cowden was owner of 350 acres on Reed Creek, and rented part of his land to John Mingle and Gasper Mees. They cleared about 8 acres between 1795 and 1800.4
John's wife was Jane, also known as Jenny. At St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Wythe County, Johannes Mengel and wife Shenny on 19 March 1797 had a son Joseph baptized. Sponsors were Georg Wambler (Wampler) and wife.5
John Mingle appeared in an 1800 Wythe County tax list. On 13 August 1800 John Mingle proved two days attendance at court for William Patterson against Nicholas Snidoe respecting alteration of the county road.6 He was deceased by 12 October 1802 when it was ordered by the court that Joseph Mingle and Polly Mingle, orphans of John Mingle, deceased, be bound out.7 On 12 August 1806 it was "Ordered that the Overseers of the poor in this County bind out William Mingle to Frederick Collup according to the law."8 At court on 14 October 1806 "For reasons appearing to the Court it is ordered that the Overseers for the poor in the County bind out George Mingle Infant son of Jane Mingle according to law."9
Jane Mingle appeared in the 1810 Wythe County census. She was age 26-45 and had male age 16-26 and 10-16, and one female under age 10.
On 8 June 1813 it was "Ordered that the Overseers of the Poor for this County do bind out Joseph Mingle a poor Boy according to law."10
The following records would pertain to John's son John. On 14 February 1815 "A Call Court having been summoned to attend here on the 28th day of January last part, for the examination of John Mingle charged with taking a whiskey cagg containing about five quarts of whiskey out of George Kinser Junr waggon at or near the swelling house of Peter Kinser in this County either about the last of October or first of November last in the year 1814 which Court failed to meet, this court doth now proceed to trial of this offence wherewith he stands charged."
"This Prisoner appeared in Court in discharge of his Recognizance, whereupon sundry witnesses were sworn and examined, and the prisoner heard in his defense it is considered by the Court that he be acquitted and discharged."11
1. William Mengel will, Lancaster Co., PA Will Bk, D: 138, FHL microfilm 0,021,355.
2. At the Emanuel Lutheran Church, known in the 18th Century as the Warwick Congregation, Elizabeth Township, Lancaster Co., PA, are baptisms of the children of Johannes Philippi and wife Eva Barbara, the daughter of Joh. Georg Eichelberger. John Phillippi, members of the Eichelberger family, and members of the Koppenhoffer family, all with records at the Warwick Congregation moved to Wythe Co., VA and have records at the Zion Church. These families in the Warwick records had as sponsors for their children, or were sponsors for Leonard Miller and members of the Süss family. John Mingle's brother George Mengel married Catharine Süss, the daughter of Emanuel Süss (Lancaster Co., PA Will Bk. K:294) and wife Susanna Miller. Susanna Miller was the daughter of Leonard Miller. Three children of George Mengel were baptized at the Warwick Congregation.
Other Wythe Co., VA families with known Lancaster County, PA connections are Branstetter, Collup, Wampler and Kinser. (Zion Church, Wythe County Virginia: Annotated Baptismal Records 1791-1835 compiled by Mary B. Kegley.) It should be noted that John Mingle had dealings with the Wampler family, and his children with the Collup and Kinser families. In the 1788 Montgomery Co., VA tax list, Michael Bransteter appeared on the list taken September 19, the same as John Mingle, indicating he was probably a neighbor. Thomas Copenheifer appeared on the September 20th list.
John Mingle's daughter Betsey Mingel had married in Wythe County to Joseph Green on 21 August 1814. At Zion Church Joseph Grun (German for Green) and wife Elizabeth had children baptized on 22 March 1815 and March 1818. For the first, the sponsors were John Stanger and wife. His wife was Elizabeth Wampler, the daughter of George Wampler, Sr. At the second, the sponsors were a John Philippy and wife.
3. Wythe Co., VA Entry Bk. 1:34 in Mary B. Kegley, Early Adventures on the Western Waters, (Wytheville, VA: Kegley Books, 1995) Vol. III, Part 1, p. 76.
4. Mary B. Kegley, Glimpses of Wythe County, (Central Virginia Newspapers, Inc., 1986) ,105.
5. Mary B. Kegley, St. Paul Lutheran Church Wythe County, Virginia: Annotated Baptismal Records 1793-1833, p. 17. The identity of George Wambler is uncertain. Hans George Wampler, Sr. and wife Elizabeth Steffey (Stephan) were from PA. Their son George, Jr. was born 3 Sep. 1765 in Lebanon Twp., Lancaster Co., PA. His wife was also named Elizabeth Steffey. She had been born 19 Aug. 1770, also in Lancaster Co., PA.
6. Wythe Co., VA Court Order Book 1799-1801, August 1800 Court, p. 237., FHL microfilm 0,034,243.
7. Mary B. Kegley, Abstracts of Court Orders of Wythe County, Virginia 1790-1791; 1795-1810, (Wytheville, VA, 1996) p. 94.
8. Wythe Co., VA Court Order Book 1805-1809, August 1806 Court, p. 76, FHL microfilm 0,034,244.
9. Wythe Co., VA Court Order Book 1805-1809, October 1806 Court, p. 100, FHL microfilm 0,034,244.
10. Wythe Co., VA Court Order Book 1812-1815, June 1813 Court, p. 46, FHL microfilm 0,034,244.
11. Wythe Co., VA Court Order Book, 1812-1815, February 1815, p. 287, FHL microfilm 0,034,244.
Father: * Wilhelm [William] MENGEL (MINGLE) b: ABT 1711 in Stadecken, (now) Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Mother: * Anna Catharine HIRSCHNERS b: in Stadecken, (now) Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
* Jane "Jenny" -?-
- Jenny MINGLE b: say 1787 in Wythe Co., VA
- John MINGLE b: BEF 1794 in Wythe Co., VA
- * George MINGLES b: from 1790 to 1800 in Wythe Co., VA
- William MINGLE(S) b: from 1790 to 1800 in Wythe Co., VA
- Elizabeth "Betsey" MINGLE b: say 1795 in Wythe Co., VA
- Joseph MINGLE b: bap. 17 Mar. 1797 in Wythe Co., VA
- Mary "Polly" MINGLE b: ABT 1800 in Wythe Co., VA