Name: * Cornelius HARKINS
Given Name: * Cornelius
Birth: BEF 1775 in Ireland
Death: living 1820 Franklin Co., PA
Additional information on the Harkins family.
Change Date: 24 Feb 2008 at 00:00:00
The first record of Cornelius Harkins is in a return of officers of the militia in Franklin County, Pennsylvania on 30 June 1792. In the 5th Battalion, 6th Company was Lieutenant Conenlus (sic) Harkins.1
According to his daughter Mary (Harkins) Allen and his son John Harkins in the 1880 census, he was born in Ireland.2 On 7 October 1794 he purchased 129 acres and 40 perches from Job Ive in Fannet Township, Franklin County.3 This land he sold to James Widney on 1 November 1799.4
Cornelius was married to Catherine Fegan the daughter of James Fegan5 and Honora Timmons. In 1810 Cornelius was apparently not at home, as Catherine was head of the houshold in Franklin County, and there were no males. In 1820 he appeared as head of the household in Fannet Township. He was apparently deceased by 1830 when Catherine was again head of the household, living in Fannet Township. She also appeared there in 1840. No estate files were found in Franklin County for either Cornelius or Catherine.
1. Pennsylvania Archives, 5th Series, Volume 6:407.
2. John Harkins household, 1880 Franklin Co., PA census, population schedule, p. 72B; James W. Allen household, 1880 Meigs County, Ohio census, population schedule, p. 48D.
3. Franklin Co., Pennsylvania Deed Book 3:259, FHL microfilm 0,323,796.
4. Franklin Co., Pennsylvania Deed Book 5:124, FHL microfilm 0,323,797.
5. Franklin Co., Pennsylvania Orphans Court Docket B:151-152, FHL microfilm 0,323,837.
* Catherine FEGAN b: ABT 1780 in Cumberland (now Franklin) Co., PA
- * Mary Ann HARKINS b: 21/22 Nov 1814 in Franklin Co., PA
- Elenor HARKINS b: ABT 1815 in Franklin Co., PA
- John HARKINS b: 5 Apr 1817 in Franklin Co., PA