Name: William Bond MASON
Birth: 2 FEB 1767 in Lincoln, Middlesex County, MA.
Death: 26 SEP 1813 in Adams Twp. in Washington County, Ohio
Burial: Mason/Kile Cemetery in Adams Township; Lowell, Washington County, Ohio
Burial: Most of William and Susanna(h)'s family is buried in the Mason/Kile Cem. in Adams Twp.; Lowell, Ohio
Relationship General Rufus Putnam was an uncle to the husbands of two of William Bond Mason's sisters. Elizabeth m. Reuben Putnam. Martha m. Benjamin Putnam. Both sons of Neamiah Putnam. Neamiah was a brother to General Rufus Putnam.
Relationship 5th Gr. Grandfather of Debbie Noland Nitsche
Occupation: Cabinet Maker and Preacher
Will: 1813 Mentions wife, Susannah. Children were unnamed except Adolphus who was to get his hours when of age. Executrix of will, his wife, Susannah.
Military Service: 23 MAY 1790 Appointed as a "Sergeant" of the Northwest Territory Milita in Washington Co., Ohio by Earl Sproat, Commander (Indian War)
Military Service: 5 AUG 1797 promoted to "Lieutenant of the Washington Co., Ohio Milita, by Winthrop Sargent.
Military Service: 13 JUN 1801 Appointed "Lieutenant" - 1st Reg., Washington County, Ohio, by Arthur St. Clair.
Military Service: 18 AUG 1803 Appointed "Captain" - 1st Reg. Ohio Malitia. (This was the yr. Ohio became a state.)
Military Service: 28 APR 1804 Appointed "Captain" in the 1st Brigade, of the 3rd Division, Washington County, Ohio Militia. (This was during the time of the Burr / Blennerhasset treason scheme) William, no doubt played a role in taking charge of the island.
Reference Number: 355
William Bond Mason was one of the 48 men who founded Marietta and was the second man off the boat behind General Rufus Putnam. He was a Colonel in the Revolution and was a man of prominence. There is a monument with his name and the other 47 men. It is on Front Street in Marietta in front of the old railroad bridge. Senator Hoar said of William Bond Mason that he was sober, honest, and just, quiet, industrious and religious. He was a soldier and minister,cabinetmaker and farmer all at one time,and was eminently successful in everyone. His cabinet work was perfect. Some of the household furniture of Rufus Putnam,as well as that of many early settlers Was his handiwork. This is in the Mason Genealogy; page 244 and 245.
William MASON's name appears in the following Tax Lists for Washington County Ohio:
1790 - (NW Territory Census, pg. NPN, Township: Organized Settlement.
1800 - Adams Twp.
1803 - Adams Twp.
1808 - Adams Twp., Pg. 11
1809 - Adams Twp., Pg. 3
1810 - No Twp. Listed, Pg. 8
"To William Mason --- Greeting. Reposing special trust and confidence in your Loyalty, courage and good conduct, I do, by vertue of the power vested in me, hereby appoint you to the office of a Sergeant in a Company of Artillery in the County of Washington and Territory of the United States Northwest of the River Ohio.
You are therefore carefully and diligently to discharge the duty of a Sergeant for which this shall be your sufficient warrant, and all inferior officers and Soldiers of said Company, are hereby commanded to obey you as such, and you are yourself to observe and follow such orders and instructions as you shall from time to time receive from one of your superior officers.
Given under my hand and Seal at Marietta, the County of Washington and Territory of the United States Northwest of the River Ohio, this 23 day of May in the year of our Lord 1790".-----Signed: E. Sproat, Liet. Commanding the Militia Washington County.
The other commissions are:
**Second---William Mason Lieutenant of Militia in the county of Washington Aug. 5, 1797, signed by Winthrop Sargent, Sec.
**Third---Appointing William Mason, gentleman "Lieutenant" in the 1st Regiment of milita in the county of Washington, dated June 13, 1801. Signed by Arthur St. Clair.
**Fourth---Appointing William Mason, "Captain" in the 1st Regiment. Dated Aug. 18, 1803. Signed by Edward Tiffin, Gov.,and William Creighton, Sec. of State.
**Fifth---Appointing William Mason "Captain" in the 8th Co. of the 1st Brigrad of the 3rd Division of the militia in the county of Washington. Dated Apr. 28, 1804. Signed by Edward Tiffin, Gov.,and William Creighton, Sec. of State.
The above information was taken from the Mason Genealogy, written by Mary Eliza Mason in 1911. Pg. 213. William Bond Mason was her Great Grandfather) (5th Great Grandfather of Debbie Noland Nitsche)
EXCERTS TAKEN FROM THE BOOK, "HISTORY OF WASHINGTON COUNTY, OHIO 1788 - 1881
Page 558; William Mason, a native of Massachusetts, joined the 48 Ohio emigrants in April 1788, and it is said was the 2nd man leave the boat at Marietta. He married 3/14/1790, Susannah Coburn. He had received the title of COLONEL in the Revolution and was a man of prominence in the early community. He settled in Adams in 1796 or 97, on the bottom and plain nearly opposite site of Upper Lowell, where he died 9/26/1813.
In the book, Washington County, Ohio to 1980 (Published by the Wash. Co. Historical Society) on page 51 gives reference to the fact that the Baptist presence in Marietta goes back to the orginal settlers in 1788. It also states, that, "among the first settlers was Captain William Mason, A Baptist who frequently led in worship."
It wasn't until after William Mason's death was the First Baptist Church formed, which was on Sept. of 1818 with groups of people gathering in the homes of it's members. In 1904 they bought the land at 4th and Putnam Streets, where the First Baptist Church is today.
(Excert from Mason Genealogy, Mary Eliza Mason, 1911)
William Bond Mason
William Bond Mason was born at Lincoln, Massachusetts on Feb. 2, 1767. At the age of 21, he joined the little band of 48 pioneers and under command of Rufus Putnam arrived at Marietta, April 7, 1788. Senator Hoar said of the 48 pioneers at his speech in Marietta, "Of all the men of the world they were the first to form the government. There were never men better calculated to settle the country. We can measure them, they are the high water mark."
President Hayes said, "They went to school, and are miniature George Washington’s, all of them." G.R. Gear, said on July 15, 1888, "They were men of industry, integrity and uprightness. They were God-fearing men, men who respected God’s word and the Sabbath." In July 1888, Mary A Livermore said, "They were Grand Men. Some of the best blood of the world ran through their veins. The world has never seen grander more versatile, more self-poised men." Too much can scarcely be said in praise of them. It could be said of them as it has been said of the earlier Pioneers. "They built indeed better than they knew. Of the full meaning of their works, and of their own future fame as its authors, some of them had any adequate conception, and but few had dimly dreamed. Neither they nor their works could be fairly judged in their time, for they saw but the beginnings of an experiment.
Only in the light of a hundred years of trial can the works of the pioneers and the pioneers themselves be fairly judged. Looking back across the years we see their figures stand out clear on the sky line of our history."
Agree with Senator Hoar that there could have been chosen no better men to settle the country and thus have a part in shaping the future of the state than these pioneers of who William Mason was one. He was sober, honest and just, quiet, industrious and religious. He was not always foremost in civil affairs because of his retiring nature, but every good enterprise had his support. giving one’s every effort to the upholding of all good and the destruction of all evil in whatever guise or station is noble. The homely saying of "Jack of all trades and master of none" did not prove true in his case. He was a soldier and Minister, cabinet maker and farmer all at one time, and was eminently successful in every one. He filled all positions of trust and with what devotion he served his God.
His cabinet-work was perfect. Some of the household furniture of Rufus Putnam, as well as that of many other early settlers was his handiwork. His son William, inherited this love for fancy carpentry. In fact a love for this work, as well as his tools descended to the fourth generations of William’s. Some furniture made by him is the possession of his descendants. At his death the farm went to Jonas Mason, and from him to Jonas’ nephew and his sons. The northern portion of the original farm was sold to William Mason and came by inheritance to Mary Eliza Mason and her brother at the time of Mary’s fathers death, but was sold by them in 1891.
William Mason was a member of the A.U.L. No. 1 Freemasons until his death. On their books of more that 150 years ago is the "Register of Names of the Members of the A.U.L No. 1 holding at Marietta." They held their meetings in Union Hall. He was Stewart and Tyler. After moving to Adams Twp. he could not attend the meetings regularly, but paid his dues and was a member in good standing at the time of his death. In the same old book Belpre, Ohio is spelled Bellepre. Their accounts were kept in dollars, dimes, cents and mills, and even the half mill.
The men who came here April 7, 1788 were not adventurers, drawn hither by a love for gold. They came with high and lofty purpose. Their impelling motive was to obtain homes for themselves and their families. They were accustomed to good society and good government, and desired to continue the same. Thomas Ewing says, "The physical difficulties to be overcome in the way and the dangers attending settlement would have appalled any but the hardest of men impelled by a great and unselfish purpose." Their first acts after those of preparing a defense were to establish government, homes, churches and schools.
The Ohio Company had ordered that 4 surveyors and 22 men to attend them should be employed, and that there would be added to this number 20 other men. This company was composed of 6 boat builders, 4 house carpenters, 1 blacksmith, and 1 common workmen. They were to be boarded and paid by the company, at the rate of $4.00 per month. The whole number consisting in all the 48 men, was divided into two companies. The boat builders and mechanics, in all about 20 or 22 men, under the charge of Major Hatfield White, formed the first party and started from Danvers, Massachusetts, on December 1, 1787, and reached Simmerill’s Ferry on the Youghiogheny River, 30 miles from Pittsburgh on the 23rd of January. The surveyors, Col. Ebenezer Sprout, Col. Putnam, John Matthews, Jonathan Meigs, Anslem Tupper, and their attendants at Hartford, Connecticut and started the last of January. On account of the heavy snow on the mountains they did not join the first party until February 14. Crossing the mountains, they had to stop and build sleds to which they harnessed the horses’ the men had to go on and break the way through the snow for the horses. That they surmounted this and all trials and hardships with great perservance cannot be denied. This was only a foretaste of what they were to endure in the near future. The rest of February and all of March was spent in getting the boats ready. The flotilla consisted of a galley, a flat boat and 3 canoes. Union Galley or Adventure Galley as the larger boat was sometimes called but afterward was found to be too large and unwieldy for practical use. She was decked over, high enough for a man to walk under without stopping. The second boat was a flat boat of about three tins burden, which was designed to be used as a ferry boat and was called the Adelphia.
It was April, and the trees that bordered either side of the river were putting on their robe of green. Trees of such magnitude gave evidence of depth and richness of soil such as was not seen in New England, a sight that most of these emigrants had never seen in any country before. It was very encouraging no doubt, to the emigrants to know that THE OHIO COUNTRY was to be their future home, was so near and was such a land of promise.
They started down the Youghiogheny River on April 1st. On the morning of the 7th clouds obscured the sun and rain fell during a considerable part of the day. as they passed Kerrs Island, Captain Devol said to General Putnam, “I think it is time to take an observation. We must be near the mouth of the Muskingum.” The clouds and fog and spreading branches of the sycamore trees so obscured their vision that although many were watching anxiously for the long talked of Muskingum, they did not see it until they had gone past. They landed below Fort Harmar and Major Doughty, the commander, sent some men from the fort to help the others make a landing.
It was high noon when they landed on the east bank of the Muskingum and planted, not a leaden plate, but the corner stone of the Buckeye state. Monday, April 7, 1788 was thus made memorable. The workmen began at once to clear the forest and erect temporary habitations. In a few days the surveyors began their work of laying out the town. During a meeting of the Directors, it was resolved that the city be called Marietta.
Sixty chains from the Ohio and at a short distance from the Muskingum a stockade fort was built at the expense of the company. In form it was a regular parallelogram the sides of which were each 180 feet in length. They were all 2 stories high, of sawed logs, the required length, 4” thick and put together with hand made nails and were covered with shingle roofs and furnished with brick chimney made on the grounds by men of experience. It must be remembered that the logs for this building were sawed by hand and the shingles were split from oak blocks previously sawed the required length. After the shingles were spilt were sloped at one end with an axe. Besides the row of windows in the first and second story, there were loop-holes for musketry. at he four corners there were block houses higher than the houses which formed the curtains or sides of the fort. The blockhouses also protected
beyond the sides of the stockade about 6 feet. The first story was 20 feet square, and the second projected two feet over the first, making it 24 feet square. These housed were each covered with roofs which were four square. Three of these houses were were mounted by watch towers enough for 4 men. On the other was a tower capped with a cupola in which the bell was placed. The watch towers were found inconvenient of access after the Indian War broke out and small, square bastrons were built at each angle of the stockade for the accommodation of the sentries.
The sides were about 6 feet. They were not roofed and were supported by posts at the angles. The floor was lower than that of the second story of the blockhouses. Cannon were placed in the Northeast and Southwest Towers.
Gates were hung in the south and west sides of the square. Over them was a house, like the corner blockhouse, intended for protection of the gate in case of an attack. Public religious worship and court was held in the northwest blockhouse. The open yard or court within was 14 0 feet square and inside this, probably in the center, a well was dug 80 feet deep.
Rows of palings were placed from corner to corner of the blockhouse, sloping outward at an angle of 45 degrees, and supported by posts and railing. At a distance of 20 feet from these sharp pickets, and surrounding the entire work was a line of heavy palings 8 or 10 feet in height;and again outside of this there was an abatis formed by bough of trees with the smaller limbs pointed and projecting outward. This fortification was called Campus Martius. At a place father down the Muskingum, called “The Point” there were 25 dwellings erected this same season.
Six families came on the 19th of August. Among them, were the families of Major Asa Coburn, and his
son-in-law Andrew Webster. Miss Susannah Coburn then a young girl was afterward married to William
Col. Ichabod Nye says “The winter began with a hundred or more in the settlement.” They passed through a pestilence of smallpox, a famine and a five year war. Thomas Ewing was given a public dinner at Marietta Sept. 2,1837. Judge Ephraim Cutler was President of the day, and on of the Vice President was William Mason.
William Mason owned and probably built, one of the two story houses which composed the west or southwest side of Campus Martius, as shown in both views. Here he and his family dwelt until 1796 when he removed his farm which was in Adams Township, ten or twelve miles up the Muskingum. Here the conqueror of all found him Sept. 13, 1813, but death had no victory, for now he lives in fame though not in life. Having been one of the "Hardy, heroic, devoted men who , fearing God feared nothing else, erected here and everywhere in our land alters to the true God, founded schools for their children, established institutions of law, liberty and a pure morality of general and exalted Piety.” “A life well spent reaches forward and influences the ages."
Mary A Livermore says, "Men never grow grand, never very great, never become Godlike unless they are associated with and stimulated by women of equal magnitude of character. The women of early times were as heroic and patriotic as the men."
The endurance of one was only equaled by that of the other. In times of peace they were real helpmates and in times of war they were the greater sufferers. The work of patient waiting was harder to bear than active serving.
The women of these times are worthy to be held in grateful remembrance as having had a large share in securing for us a free country, in which the inhabitants are blessed with civil and religious liberty.
The men of the Revolutionary War, and the men composing the settlement at Marietta, never could have accomplished what they did if the women had not borne well their part. It is surprising the amount of hard work they did. This whit their exposure and constant dread of savage warfare, was enough to destroy both mind and body.
The wife of William Mason was one of these heroic women, who through perils of every kind surrounded her on all sides, lived a long and useful life. She, like most others of her day was moral and religious and unswerving in allegiance to right and duty; evidence of this is her church history. It is not known when she firs united with the church, but her name is found on the first records, and if it is true, as has been supposed, that she was a member before 1788 then she must have been a Christian for nearly 70 years. Susannah was 14 years old when she came to Marietta with her parents, Major Coburn and Mary (McClure) Coburn. They were in the company of first families to arrive August 19, 1788. Her brother in-law, Andrew Webster, then a widower came in the same company bringing with him part of his family. His son Andrew was a baby and was carried by Susannah all the way. Adelphia came afterward and was married to his cousin. Susannah’s mother died probably between January and April 1790 of smallpox. Her father died at Waterford 1797 during the Indian War. What her life was before she came to Ohio can only be guessed at. What other girls in Revolutionary times did, no doubt she did. She was one year old when her father joined the Army; and for eight years war was all around her. The 5 years between 1783 and 1788 are the years about which very little can now be learned. she spent some of this time undoubtedly in acquiring the various household duties and in study, for she was a good student and well informed. The new home that her parents had chosen for the family was the border land of another battle ground, but fortunately only the border. After they left "The Point" and dwelt inside the stockade they were never attacked by the Indians.
SOURCE::From the book: Hugh Mason to William Mason, by Mary Eliza Mason 1911: page 326
THE FOUNDERS OF OHIO - By Julia Perkins Cutler (dau. of Ephriam Cutler), 1888
Brief sketches of the forty-eight pioneers who, under command of General Rufus Putnam, landed at the mouth of the Muskingum River on the seventh of April, 1788 and commenced the first white settlement in the North-west Territory.
"CAPTAIN WILLIAM MASON was a native of Massachusetts; he belonged to the Forty-eight, and was one of the first to land at the mouth of the Muskingum, April 7, 1778. He married, March 14, 1790, Susanna, daughter of Major Asa COBURN, and they were in Campus Martius during the war. In the first organized militia at Marietta under Colonel SPROAT, was an orderly sergeant; in 1797, Winthrop SARGENT, acting governor, commissioned him lieutenant, and under a reorganization, Governor Arthur ST. CLAIR appointed William MASON, gentleman, a lieutenant in the First regiment, 1801. When the new state government went into operation, he received a Captain’s commission from Governor Edward TIFFIN. He settled about 1797 in Adams township, and was prominent in the early community. His fine farm was on the bottom and plain nearly opposite Upper Lowell, on the Muskingum. Here he lived with his family of twelve children, and died there September 26, 1813. Among his descendants was the late Colonel William B. MASON of Marietta, who entered the Union army as private in 1861, and returned in 1864, Colonel of the 77th Ohio regiment.
From the Western Religious Magazine of May 1828,
"William Mason was one of the Ministers of the Rainbow Church (Baptist). He was also empowered to solemnize marriages. On his death bed he expressed a belief that his children would all become Christians. The subsequent history shows his faith was rewarded: for in a few years they all had professed conversion and united with the church. It is said that seven of his sons and sons-in-law were baptized on one day."
William Bond Mason, sisters, Elizabeth and Martha married Putnams. Elizabeth m. Dea. Rueben Putnam. Martha married Benjamin Putnam. They were brothers, both children of Nehemiah Putnam & Sarah Manning.
Nehemiah was a brother to GENERAL RUFUS PUTNAM. Nehemiah and Rufus' parents were Deacon Elisha Putnam and Susannah Fuller.
So................That would make Rueben and Benjamin nephews of General Rufus Putnam. Even though there is no blood connection, but through marriage. William would be Gen. Rufus Putnam's nephew in-law. Or as we say...Nef in-law. lol
Father: Joseph MASON b: 9 OCT 1713 in Boston, Suffolk Massachusetts
Mother: Grace BOND b: 1 MAR 1720/21 in Watertown, Middlesex Massachusetts
Susannah COBURN b: 17 MAR 1774 in Strubridge, Worcester, MA
14 JUL 1790
in According to Wash. Co., Ohio Marriages1789-1840 they were married by Benjamin Tupper, Judge of County Court of Common Pleas. Susannah's name is spelled, "Susanna COBERN" in the book.
- Pamela MASON b: 22 MAR 1791 in Marietta, Washington County, Ohio (Was born in Campus Martius or just before the family went into the Block-house)
- Polly Grace MASON b: 12 JUL 1793 in Campus Martius, Marietta, Washington County, Ohio;
- Joseph MASON b: 3 MAR 1795 in Campus Martius, Marietta, Washington County, Ohio;
- Jonas MASON b: 23 MAY 1797 in Adams Twp. Washington County, Ohio
- William Bond MASON b: 12 OCT 1799 in Adams Twp. Washington County, Ohio
- Susan MASON b: 12 NOV 1801 in Adams Twp. Washington County, Ohio
- Elijah MASON b: 12 NOV 1803 in Adams Twp. Washington County, Ohio
- Simeon MASON b: 7 JUL 1806 in Adams Twp. Washington County, Ohio
- Adolphus MASON b: 16 JUN 1808
- Sophronia MASON b: 15 APR 1809 in Marietta, Ohio
- Clarinda MASON b: 22 MAR 1810 in Adams Twp. Washington County, Ohio
- James Henry MASON b: 13 JAN 1812
- Adelphia Colburn MASON b: 13 APR 1814 in Adams Twp. Washington County, Ohio