Name: William (Billy) JENNINGS
Given Name: William (Billy)
Birth: 26 Feb 1761 in , Prince Edward, VA
Death: 17 Jul 1840
Burial: Harpersville, Shelby, AL
!SEARCH: Get Rev. War Pension application.
Change Date: 29 Jun 2003 at 01:00:00
!BIRTH-MAR-DEATH-BUR-MIL: "Doc. Notes on Jennings...". Rev. War soldier.
Death place from "Charts by Sue Howell".
Another book, "Abstracts of Some Rev. War Pensions", at LDS, Jones., GA, p. 169, states: William Jennings, W27144, Tenn., Lincoln co., application dated Oct. 16, 1832. Entered Vir. militia April 1777 when he lived in Prince Edward co.. Served 5 months guarding the NC frontier. Apparently served under Captain Henry Walker & Col. Mason. In summer of 1781 he enlisted again, this time serving 3 months under Capt. Cunningham. Was at surrender of Cornwallis. Birth stated as Feb. 26, 1761. Died Shelby co., Ala. July (Aug.?) 17, 1840. In 1836 he asked for a transfer of his pension to Shelby co. His widow applied Mar. 3, 1843 for his pension, stating she was Polly Kidd, b. Nov. 4, 1771 & married William Jan. 18, 1787. In 1851 she lived in Claiborne Parish, LA with son James W. Jennings. Children of William & Polly listed as: Martin, b. Nov. 4, 1787; Nancy, b. Sept. 4, 1789; Webb, b. May 11, 1802; Robert, b. Apr. 18, 1808; Elizabeth, b. Jan. 1, 1792; Lucrecy, b. May 12, 1810; Allen, b. Dec. 28, 1794; William K. Jennings, b. July 19, 1798; Nancy Allen Jennings, b. Mar 14, 1796; William Calvin Jennings, b. June 20, 1803; Sophy Jennings, b. May 27, 1812. Died June 6, 1812; James W. Jennings, b. Dec. 31, 1813. Marr. Aug. 4, 1836 to Mary Bevell; Sally W. Jennings, d. Jan. 12, 1842. Married Dec. 30, 1820 John B. Smoot. B. Mar. 4, 1795. D. July 12, 1840.
"A Roster of Rev. Soldiers & Patriots in Ala." indicates he was a teamster at one time. I Assume this was during the war. He served as a private. Served in 1777 under Capt. Walker. Enrolled in the pension program Aug. 14, 1833, Shelby Co., Ala.. Pension # W 27 144. In Jan. 1840 he certified that he had resided in Shelby Co. for 4 years & lived in TN before that. His widow had a pension certificate issued Mar. 29, 1845 (in Ala.?). She was issued one in Louisiana beginning Mar. 4, 1848, having been transferred from Ala.. Her parents' names weren't given. Her last payment was received in Claiborne Parish. She had lived there for 3 years.
Father: Robert (Robin) JENNINGS b: 1720/1728 in , , VA
Mother: Rachel PATTERSON b: 1728
Polly KIDD b: 4 Nov 1771
- Martin JENNINGS b: 4 Nov 1787 in ,Prince Edward,VA
- JENNINGS Nancy b: 4 Sep 1789 in ,Prince Edward,VA
- JENNINGS Elizabeth b: 1 Jan 1792 in ,Prince Edward,VA
- JENNINGS Allen b: 28 Dec 1794 in ,Prince Edward,VA
- JENNINGS Nancy Allen b: 14 Mar 1796 in ,Prince Edward,VA
- JENNINGS William K. b: 19 Jul 1798 in ,Prince Edward,VA
- JENNINGS Sally W. b: 10 Feb 1801
- JENNINGS Webb b: 11 May 1802 in ,Prince Edward,VA
- JENNINGS William Calvin b: 20 Jun 1803 in ,Prince Edward,VA
- JENNINGS Robert b: 18 Apr 1808 in ,Prince Edward,VA
- JENNINGS Lucrecy b: 12 May 1810 in ,Prince Edward,VA
- JENNINGS Sophy b: 27 May 1812 in ,Prince Edward,VA
- JENNINGS James W. b: 31 Dec 1813 in ,Prince Edward,VA