Name: Richard ROBINS
Given Name: Richard
Birth: ABT 1566 in Long Bucky, Northamptonshire, England
Burial: 19 May 1634 Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
_UID: 37918F6F9731D5118680EF90A100BA0B5F9B 1 2 3 4 5 6
Change Date: 19 Aug 2002 at 22:00:00|
Father: Thomas ROBINS b: ABT 1535 in Northamptonshire, England
Mother: Elizabeth PALMER b: Abt 1545/466 in England
Dorothy GOODMAN b: 12 Sep 1570 in Badby, Northamptonshire, England
21 Jun 1597
- Note: Church of England, Parish Church of Fawsley, FHL microfiche 6,127,462
- Continence ROBINS c: 2 Apr 1598 in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
- Richard ROBINS c: 10 Dec 1599 in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
- Obedience ROBINS c: 26 Apr 1601 in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
- Edward ROBINS b: 1602/1604 in Long Buckby, Northhamptonshire, England c: 26 Aug 1604 in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
- John ROBINS c: 25 Sep 1602 in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
- Thomas ROBINS c: 3 Apr 1608 in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
- Sarah ROBINS c: 1 Sep 1606 in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
- Dorothy ROBINS c: 23 Dec 1610 in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
- Continew ROBINS
- Lemuell (Lamuell) ROBINS c: ABT 1612 in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
- Mary ROBINS b: ABT 1614 in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
- Title: http://pweb.netcom.com/~fzsaund/robins.html
Author: Fredric Z. Saunders, Salt Lake City, UT
Publication: Fredric Z. Saunders 1234 Waterside Cove #21 Midvale, UT 84047-4293 Last revised: 6 Nov. 1999
Fredric Z. Saunders
Text: Notes and Sources from Frederic Z. Saunders
email@example.comFredric Z. Saunders 1234 Waterside Cove #21 Midvale, UT 84047-4293 Last revised: 6 Nov. 1999
1. Thomas Robyns will; Archdeaconry Court of Northampton Wills and Administrations 1st Series, D:397, FHL microfilm 0,187,576.
2. Joan Robyns will, Archdeaconry Court of Northampton Wills and Administrations 1st Series, E:170, FHL microfilm 0,018,577.
3. Estimate from ages of children.
4. Estimates based on both Richard and Joyse having 2 children in 1535 as given in #2.
5. Estimates based on: William was of age when his father wrote his will in #1, and was executor, so he is placed as the eldest. Thomas made no bequests to his 3 children that were apparently living on their own, probably having already received their shares at the time they left home and/or married (William, Richard and Joys). John, Joan, Henry, Thomas and Edward are placed in the order as named in their father's will, with ages from the assumed ages of Richard and Joys in #4. Those ages are consistent with Henry having a married daughter with 3 children in 1569, another dughter having 2 children, a son with 1 child, and 2 apparently single children, suggesting Thomas was married in the early 1540s. That Edward had only one child when his will was written in 1546 is consistent with his estimated age.
6. Church of England, Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England parish register FHL microfiche 6,127,993, part 1. p. 1 Thomas Robbens & Elizabeth Pamer [illegible] 1563 p. 2 [illegible] and Isabell Robens xx[-?-]January 1568 [1568/9] p. 5 Henry son of Thomas Robens et ux buried vii Dec. 1584 p. 5 Richard Robbens bur. xxii June 1584 p. 15 Continne [Continue?] daughter of Richard Robbyns et ux bap. ii Apr. 1598 p. 16 Richard son of Richard Robbens et ux bap. x Dec. 1599 p. 19 Obedience son of Richard Robbens et ux bap. xxvi Apr. 1601 p. 20 John son of Richard Robbens et ux bap. xxv Sep. 1602 p. 25 Edward son of Richard Robens et ux bap. xxvi Aug. 1604 p. 29 Saray daughter of Richard Robbens bap sixth Sep. 1606 p. 30 Thomas Robbens bur. viii Aug. 1606 p. 32 Thomas son of Richard Robens et ux bap. iii Apr. 1608 p. 35 John, son of William Robens et ux baptized p.38 Dorithy daughter of Richard Robenns and wife Dorithy bap. xxiii Dec. 1610 p. 46 Alice Willes widdoe buried xvi April 1626 p. 51 Richard Robins Gent: bur. 19 May 1634. p. 54 Dorthe daughter of Richard Robins Gent. and wife Alice baptized
7. Henrye Robyns will, Archdeaconry Court of Northampton Wills and Administrations 1st Series, S:100, FHL microfilm 0,187,586. One of the overseers was his brother-in-law Robt. Butlyn.
8. Edward Robyns will, Archdeaconry Court of Northampton Wills and Administrations 1st Series, I:202, FHL microfilm 0,187,579. Several genealogists have incorrectly attributed this Edward to being born ca. 1460, and the father of Thomas rather than his son. That Edward named only one child, a son William who was under age 18, as well as children [unnamed] of his brother Hary [Henry], children of [unnamed] of Richard Robyns, and children [unnamed] of Thomas Hoggs [Hoggies], would show that he was the Edward son of Thomas who left bequests to nieces and nephews.
9. Richarde Robyns will, Prerogative Court of Canterbury wills, 35 Watson, (1584), FHL microfilm 0,091,966.
10. R. L. Greenall, The Parish Register of Long Buckby, Northamptonshire 1558-1689, (Leicester: University of Leicester, Department of Adult Education, 1971). May [illegible] 1566 William [illegible] and Ales Robbenson.
11. Thomas Robins, Robyn 1377 to Robins 1939 (New York City: Robins, 1939), FHL microfilm 0,599,461, item 3 and FHL microfilm 0,532,048, item 3.
12. Church of England, Fawsley, Northamptonshire, England parish register, p. 8 (left column), FHL microfiche 6,127,462, part 1.
13. Richard Robins will, Archdeaconry Court of Northampton Wills and Administrations 3rd Series, E:65, FHL microfilm 0,187,620.
14. Church of England, St. Sepulchre Church, Northampton, Northamptonshire, England parish register, upaginated, chronological, FHL microfiche 6,128,366, part 8.
15. Church of England, Watford, Northaptonshire, England parish register, p. 7 FHL microfiche 6,129,217, part 2. Thomas Aier, son of Johannis and Constantia Aier was baptized undecimo  Mar. 1631 [1631/2]
16. Richard Robins will, Archdeaconry Court of Northampton Wills and Administrations 1st Ser., EV:91, FHL microfilm 0,187,596 and also recorded 2nd Ser. G:163, FHL microfilm 0,187,602.
17. Virginia Land Patents
18. Northampton Co., VA Deeds and wills IX:79 [1657-1666 book ], FHL microfilm 0,032,738.
19. Diocese of Exeter Marriage License Index, Devonshire, England, 111, FHL microfilm 0,916,997, item 2. Edward Robins of London and Jane Cornish of Tiverton. [Originals destroyed in 1942. Published index only.]
20. Church of England St. Mary Magdalen Milk Street, London, England, parish registers, FHL microfilm 0,374,489. Baptimal register p. 11 Rachel bap. p. 11[a] Thomas bap. p. 12 Christian bap. p. 12 Elizabeth bap. Burial register p. 8[a] Thomas bur.
21. Church of England, St. Dunstan in the East, London, England, general parish register, FHL microfilm 0,396,188. Unpaginated, chronological.
22. British History Online, Inhabitants of London in 1638, St. Dunstans in the East. MS. p. 97.
23. "Minutes of the Council and General Court", The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, 28 (Oct. 1920), 326, footnote 11.
24. Northampton Co., VA Deeds and Wills 3 [1645-1651]: 107, FHL microfilm 0,032,736.
25. Maryland Land Patents 5:585 [volume 7], FHL microfilm 0,013,065.
26. Richard Beard will, MD wills 2:142-146, FHL microfilm 0,012,841.
27. Virginia Land Patents 2:91
28. St. Peter's Parish Register, Church of England, Tiverton, England, read by Devon Record Office, Exeter, England.
29. William Puddington will, Prerogative Court of Canterbury wills, 350 Brent, (1653) FHL microfilm 0,092,915.
30. Northampton Co., VA Deeds and Wills 7 [1655-1657]: 67, FHL microfilm 0,032,742.
31. Maryland Land Patents ABH:40, FHL microfilm 0,013,064.
32. George Puddington will, MD wills 2:5-9, FHL microfilm 0,012,841.
33. Accamac [later Northampton] County Orders, Deeds and Wills 2 [1640-1645], FHL microfilm 0,032,736. p. 31[a] 50 pounds tobacco to be paid to Edward Robins in lawsuit p. 40[a] Thomas Joyner, attorney for Edward Robins to deliver account to Obedience Robins.
34. Thomas Palmer will, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 8 Tirwhite, (1581), FHL microfilm 0,091,962.
- Title: Will of Richard Robins in 1633
Publication: From Frederic Z. Saunders
In the Name of God Amen I Richarde Robins of Buckby in the County of Northton yeoman being desirous to prepare & fitt my selfe for the tyme of my departure out of this Life doe make this my Last will and testament
First I commend my Soule to Allmighty God my Creator & to Jesus Christ my Redeemer by whose passion & merits only I stedfastly brleeve I am made an heire of everlasting Life in heaven And to the holy Spirit my only Comforter three persons & one Eternall God And my body to be comly buried at Buckby at the descreson of my Executors. And touching my lands and goods where with God hath blessed me beyond my deserts
First to show some thankefullnes to God for his mercy I doe give five pounds a yere for ever out of the half yard land Lately William Gilberts in Buckby aforesaid unto John Thorneton of Broackall Esq. & to Willm Cartwright of Northton, gent, & to their heires and Assignes to the use of the poore Inhabitants of Buckby for the time being for ever ether yearly to be disposed among them according to their severall needs or other wise to be disposed of to their persitts as by them shall be iudged most convenient, provided allwayes and my will is That my sonn & heire & his heires shall have the free power to dispose & give forty shillings a yere of the foresaid five pounds to any manner of person or persons at his and their free will and pleasures. And because the sayd Mr. Thorneton & Willm Cartwright be mortall my desire it they will make other honest religeous men ffeofees of the sayd yearly rent that yt may be for ever imployed according to this my will.
Item my will is that my sonn & heir shall provide and give to Dorothy my Loveing wife at my house in Buckby where I now inhabit good & sufficient Lodging meat drinke diet fyre candle & washing fit and according to her degree & calling as now she hath for & during her Life and the som of thirtie pounds yearly to be payd out of my Lands payable to her quarterly at the severall feasts of St. Thomas the Apostle, the annunciation of the blessed virgin Mary, the Nativity of St. John the Baptist & St. Michael Archangel by equall porcions for & dureing her life. And If my sayd wife shall forebear to take her diet & lodging afforesayd, then my sonn & heir & his heires shall pay unto her ten pounds a year more in lew of her diet & lodging payable at the dayes afforesayd by equall porcions dureing her
life. Further my will is my said wife shall have her coffen to her self as she thinks fitt to store it. But if my said wyfe shall recover her dower out of my Lands, them my meaning is she shall hould her self therewith content and what I have foremerly given to her shall cease & not be payde unto her.
Item I give to my tow sonns Obedience and Edward to each of them one hundred pounds to be payd them within three months next after my decease
Item I give to my Sonn John two hundred & forty pounds of which one hundred to be payd him within three months next after my decease and the other hundred & forty within tow yeares next after my decease. Also I give to my sayd sonn John & his heires my Close & ground called the hether Throp in the parish of Norton, provided alwayes & my will is That
yf my Sonn & heire shall pay unto my said Sonne John or his heires the som of tow hundred & fifty pounds of good and Lawfull money of England at any tyme within three yeares next after my decease That then my Legacy made to my sayd Sonn John of my close called hether Throp shall cease & be voyd.
Item I give & bequeath unto my sonn Thomas my Lease & terme for yeares which I have of any Lands or tenements in West Haddon parish.
Item I give my sonn Thomas & his heires all my meadow & ground called Corne meadow in the parish of Watford Provided alwayes & my will is That yf my heire at any time within three yeares next after my decease shall pay my sayd sonn Thomas & his heires or Assignes the som of three hundred & fifty pounds of Lawful money of England then my heir shall reenter into the sayd ground called the Corne meadow and into my sayd Lease to have the meadow to him and his heirs for ever & the lease for the the years therein to Come
Item I give to my sayd sonn Thomas forty pounds to be payd him within two yeares next after my decease.
Item I give more to my sayd sonne Thomas the Lease I have of only pasture.
Item I give and bequeath to my tow youngest Lemuell & Mary to each of them twenty pounds to be payd them presently after my decease And my will further is and I doe bequeath That yf my said tow daughters shalbe married by the consent & advice of the forenamed John Thorneton then my Executor shall pay them so marrieing, or her that so married one hundred & four score pound a pece of Lawfull money of England within three monthes next after his notice thereof and I doe further devise that yf the said Mr. John Thorneton shall die before the marriage of my sayd tow daughters or before he hath given
his derection therein Then my sayd Executor shall pay my sayd daughters 180 l. a peece at their severall ages of twenty yeares and my will further is that yf my said daughters or ether of them die before marriage then the porecon of them or her that so dieth shall remayne to my Children to be equally devided amongest them.
Item I give to my daughter Sara tenn pounds.
Item I give to my daughter Contenew forty shillings.
Item I give to all my gran Children forty shillings a peece.
Item I give to my three brothers to each of them twenty shillings.
Item I give to my loveing frends Mr. John Thorneton & Mr. Willm Cartwright to each of them twenty shillings.
Item I give to each of my servants which I shall have at the tyme of my death to each of them xii d. All the rest of my lands, goods, Cattells & Chattells I give to my loveing
Sonn Richard Robins who I make my Sole executor of this my last will & Testament and doe renounce all former wills made by me to be of non effect.
And I intreat my loveing frends Mr. John Thorneton, Mr. William Cartwright and my brother William Wills to be my overseers of this my last will, and with their counsell and advise to derect my Executor in the due execution of this my last will & testament; And I doe advise & charge my Executor to take this advise therein & to be ruled by the same. And my will is And I do hereby devise That yf any question ambiguitie or contreversie shall happen to arise or grow upon any word legacie clause or matter contained in this my last will, then the same shalbe heard exponunded determined & iudged by the sayd overseers of this my last will or by the more part of them and such their expossicion iudgement & determinacon. I declare to be my last will and Testament And I will that within xx dayes next after my decease A trew Inventory be taken of all my goods and Chatttells and a trew Copy thereof delivered to my overseers. It wittness whereof I have put my hand & seale this first day of March 1633.
Sealed and delivered in the presence of Wm Cartwright Richard Carvel his mark Valentine Robinson his mark
- Title: "The Robins Family" in "Colonial Families of Anne Arundel Co, Md.,
Author: Robert Barnes
Publication: Westminster Md.: Fam. Line Pub, 1996
- Title: Ye Kingdome of Accawmacke,"
Author: Jennings Cropper Wise
Publication: Richmond, Va.: Bell Book & Stationery Co, 1911
- Title: The Robins Family of America Pedigree Charts
Author: Maj. Robert P. Robins
- Title: Virginia's Eastern Shore: a History of Northampton & Accomack COs Va.
Author: Ralph T. Whitelaw, Vol. II, Richmond, Va.: VA Hitorical Society, 1951