Name: Joseph Hopper NICHOLSON
Given Name: Joseph Hopper
Birth: 1810/1811 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
Death: 1854 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
1. Not found in 1840 Maryland Census. Neither was his mother Charlotte (Gibson) Nicholson found in 1840 Census. Was Joseph H. Nicholson and his family living with his mother in an unknown household?
1 2 3 4
Change Date: 4 Jan 2008 at 16:53:01
2. 1850 Maryland Census
Queen Anne's County 3rd election District
The family is listed twice in the 1850 Census in two different locations as indicated by different adjacent families. Note that the ages given in each of the two wntries are different indicating that different individuals provided the information in each case.
A. Enumerated 15 Jul by W. T. Gibson
Note: Notation on page states that entries ending just above Joseph H. Nicholson ended the enumeration for the town of Centreville.
Joseph H. Nicholson 39 Farmer $3,800
Ann Nicholson 35
Sally H. 11
Joseph H. 9
B. Enumerated 26 Aug by W. T. Gibson
Joseph H. Nicholson 40 Farmer $2,000
Hopper E. 1
3. . Joseph H. Nicholson is listed in QA in the 1850 Census. However, he is not listed in the 1860 Census. Rather, his wife "Ann C. Nicholson" is listed in the 1860 Census. Therefore, he must have died between 1850 and 1860. His age is listed as 40 in the 1850 Census and the 1820 Census lists only two male children both of whom are under 10 years of age in the household of his widowed mother, Charlotte (Gibson) Nicholson. However, in the 1810 Census, there was one male child under 10 in Joseph's household. An LDS IGI file (#1903552) lists the birth year of JHN as 1806. However, from the the ages given for him in the 1850 and 1820 Census, JHN may have been born in 1810/11
4.. Probate records:. 1854, Ann Nicholson listed as administrator of the estate of her husband Joseph Hopper Nicholson who died intestate. Recheck this.
Father: Joseph Hopper NICHOLSON b: 1777 in Chestertown, Kent County, Maryland
Mother: Charlotte GIBSON b: BEF 1787 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
Ann Cox EMORY b: 1812/1813/1815 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
31 Aug 1836
in Centreville, Queen Anne's County, Maryland
Ann C. Emory found in:
Marriage Index: Maryland, 1655-1850
Married: Aug. 31, 1836 in: Queen Anne's Co., MD Record type: This is a county court record. Gender: F More about: This record can be found at the County Courthouse Centreville, MD. Spouse name: Nicholson, James H. Spouse gender: M
Note the transcription error in name of groom. Correct name is Joseph, not James.
- Sarah (Sallie) H. NICHOLSON b: Jun 1837 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- Joseph Hopper NICHOLSON b: 23 Jan 1839 in Centreville, Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- Mary Ellen NICHOLSON b: 2 Mar 1841 in Centreville, Queen Anne's County, Maryland c: 14 Oct 1844 in Methodist Church Records
- Francis Emory NICHOLSON b: 4 Aug 1842 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- Robert Goldsborough NICHOLSON b: 3 Apr 1844 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- Anna Beck Emory NICHOLSON b: 1847 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- Thomasine Hopper NICHOLSON b: Nov 1847 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- Joseph NICHOLSON b: 1848/1849 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- Hopper Emory NICHOLSON b: 14 Aug 1849 in Centreville, Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- Henrietta Goldsborough NICHOLSON b: 31 Mar 1851 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- Lydia NICHOLSON b: 28 Apr 1853 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- King NICHOLSON b: 3 Apr 1855 in Queen Anne's County, Maryland
- Title: 1850 Census
- Title: Marriage Record, Centreville, Queen Anne's County, MD
- Title: 1820 Census
- Title: Probate records.
Text: "1854 Ann Nicholson listed as administer of the estate of her husband Joseph Hopper Nicholsoon