Name: Mary FRISBY
Given Name: Mary
Birth: 3 Mar 1779 in Fairlee, Kent County, Maryland
Death: 1 Nov 1804 in Chestertown, Kent County, Maryland
Change Date: 15 Feb 2004 at 22:00:00|
Father: James FRISBY
Mother: Ann WILMER
Joseph Nicholson GORDON b: 9 Oct 1775 in Chestertown, Kent County, Maryland
1 Nov 1804
1. Maryland Genealogies, Volume 1, Frisby Family, Page 463
Tracing an Architectural Pedigree
Simon Wilmer IV sold 100 acres of the family estate so Washington College could be built, and later served on its Board.
In Historic Houses of Kent County, published this fall by the Historical Society of Kent County, Michael Bourne follows the lineage of Wilmer's Stepney-one of Kent County's earliest homes. Stepney and the College on the hill are depicted in a rare overmantel painting on permanent display on campus.
The Rev. Simon Wilmer V purchased Stepney from Thomas Worrell in 1808, then sold it in 1818 to his youngest brother Lemuel. Lemuel sold the home as well as the lot left him by his father in 1822 to his second cousin Mary Frisby Gordon, the wife of Joseph N. Gordon (daughter of James and Ann Frisby of the Violet Farm; her great-grandfather was Simon II).
Joseph Nicholson Gordon is referred to as "Dr. Gordon" in the account of the Battle of Caulk's Field. He was the Clerk of the Court between 1822-1845. In the Tax Assessment for 1841, Gordon is listed as residing at the Nicholson House on Queen Street. In that same year, he and his wife Mary sold Stepney to their son, James Frisby Gordon, who had resided there as early as 1841. In this deed Stepney is referred to as "commonly called White House."
James F. Gordon and his wife Sarah Marie were responsible for constructing (Stepney).the three-story, five-bay brick structure on the east side of the old house. Its exterior was severely simple with a full length porch on its east facade. When constructed, the house had a low-pitched hip roof, with monitor in the center similar to Middle Plantation. In form it was also like Fairfield. Judging from the photograph taken around the turn of the century, the old rear wing was raised to two full stories, but built of frame. On the west end of the old building a three-bay, one-and-a-half story, frame wing was constructed, probably housing a kitchen and pantry.
The interior of the new house was quite simple, with large proportions. The stairhall was nearly 12 feet wide, having a continuous railing from the carved newel post to the third floor. Its painted, tapered balusters were identical to those at Radcliffe Cross, but the latter are of natural tiger maple. When constructed, the north parlor had six windows, but two flanking the fireplace were later bricked up.
James F. Gordon, like his father, had been Clerk of the Court (1851-56) for Kent County
- Ann Elizabeth Frisby GORDON b: 10 Aug 1803/1805 in Chestertown, Kent County, Maryland
- James Frisby GORDON b: 15 Sep 1807 in Chestertown, Kent County, Maryland
- Charles GORDON b: 16 Dec 1808
- Caroline Rebecca Frisby GORDON
- Richard Frisby GORDON b: ABT 5 May 1823 in White Hall, Maryland