Name: Samuel CHEW
Given Name: Samuel
Birth: 1630/1634 in Jamestown, James City, Virginia
Death: 15 Mar 1676/1677 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland
1. Maryland Genealogies - A Consolidation of Articles from the Maryland Historical Magazine, Vol. I, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, 1980, 1997, pg. 254-272
Change Date: 12 Mar 2007 at 19:42:57
Chew Family, by Francis B. Culver, from Vol. XXX (1935), 157-175.
Maryland Genealogies...from Maryland Historical Magazine 975.2 M369 V.1: p256;
"He moved from Virginia to Maryland before 1659 and took up his abode in Anne Arundel County. He entered his rights, 16 July 1659, for transporting himself, Robert Crouch, Thomas Madders and Hannah Rogers, and received a warrant for 400 acres (Md. Land Office, Liber 4, folio 54).
He represented Anne Arundel County in the Maryland Assembly in 1661 (Md. Arch., I,396), was High Sheriff of the county in 1663 (ibid, III, 481), and was one of its justices in 1665 and 1668 (ibid., III, 543; V, 54). He was commissioned, 23 July 1669, a member of the Council of Maryland and a justice of the Provincial Coourt (ibid., V. 54), and retained his seat in the council until his death (Liber C, D, folio 427; Md. Arch., II. 254, 377, 433; XV. 23, 75, 109, et seq.). In 1675 he was Colonel of the militia of Anne Arundel County (Md. Arch., XV. 59) and in this capacity was orderred to raise forces for defense aganst the Indians (ibid., 47). He was also a member of the Council of War which convened 20 July 1676. He died, according to his family record, on the 15th of March 1676/77 (old style), leaving, among other bequests, "his seale gold ring" to his brother Joseph Chew.
Col. Samuel Chew married, about 1658, Anne Ayres, only daughter and heress of William Ayres of Nansemond County, Virginia,who came to Maryland with his family before June, 1852. On the 5th of October 1653, "Mr. William Ayres" demands land for transporting himself, Sarah his wife (then deceased), Ann Ayres his daughter, and nine servants beforeJune 1652; and Martha his now wife, and Margaret Sammes, his servant, since June 1652 (Md. Land Office, Liber, A. B. H., folio 348). On 6 June 1663, Samuel Chew assigns to Sarah Marsh any rights that remain upon record "due to my father-in-law William Ayres" (ibid.,
Mrs. Anne Chew survived her husband and died 13 April 1695. She was a prominent member of the Society of Friends, and their monthly meetings were held at her house on Herring Bay."
2.. COLONIAL FAMILIES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
IN WHICH IS GIVEN THE HISTORY, GENEALOGY AND ARMORIAL BEARINGS OF THE COLONIAL FAMILIES WHO SETTLED IN THE AMERICAN COLONIES FROM THE TIME OF THE SETTLEMENT OF JAMESTOWN, 13TH MAY, 1607 TO THE BATTLE OF LEXINGTON, 19TH APRIL, 1775
Edited by, George Norbury MacKenzie, LL.B., American Historical Association, National Genealogical Society, Old North-West Genealogical Society, Member of the Committee on Heraldry and Genealogy of the Maryland Historical Society
Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, 1912, 1966, 1995
3. Burke's American Families with British Ancestry, Sir Bernard Burke, 1939, 1996, Baltimore Genealogical Publishing Company 1996
4. Emigrated to Maryland by 1659 from Virginia as a free adult with his wife. Laid out Herrington on Herrington Creek in Anne Arundel County.
5. Will, Maryland State Archives, Annapolis, Maryland
Chew, Samuel, Col., Anne Arundel County
July 28 1676
June 12 1677
To wife Anne, execx, 600 A., plantation at Herrington, during life.
" son Samuel and hrs., sd. plantation at death of wife afsd., and 300 A., "Chew's Right", or "Poplar Ridge".
" son Joseph and hrs., 500 A., "Poppinggay" in Calvert Co.
" " William and hrs., lot in town of Herrington
" sons Benjamin, John, and Caleb, daus. Sarah and Anne, and brother Joseph, personalty. Sons to be of age at 21 yrs., daus. at 18 yrs.
In event of death of 3 eld. sons, viz: Samuel, Joseph and Nathanial, 4 young sons, i.e., William, Benjamin, John and Caleb, to inherit deceased's portion.
Overseers: Lt. Col. Thos. Taylor, Richard Jones
Test: Jno. Cobreath, Patrick Hall, Jno Thompson 5.241
6. Will, Anne Arundel County
Written February 20 1694
Madam Chew, widow of Colonel Chew
Naned her daughter Sarah Burgess
7. "Pillars of Maryland" by Francis Simms McGrath. Dietz Press, Richmond, 1950, Chapter VIII - John Chew of Jamestown
8. From "Pillars of Maryland:
"Samuel (1634-1677) was the son of John Chew. His Quaker wife, Anne Ayres, daughter and heiress of William Ayres of Virginia, may have had something to do with her husband's worldly success,her being strong enough to turn members of the Chew family into Quakers for generations while her home at Herring Bay was the headquarters for Quaker monthly meetings in Maryland...
After serving in the Assembly her husband was admitted to the COuncil in 1669 by the folowing instructions from Cecilus, Lord Baltimore, to Governor Charels Calvert:
'His Lordship doth hereby authorize him to admit his Lord-
ship's dear nephew William Calvert Esquire and his Lorship's
well beloved Samuel Chew of Herrington in Anne
Arundel County in the said Province of Maryland, Esq., to be of his Lord-
ship's Council and justices of his Provincial Court in said province'
In his short caree this well-beloved Samuel Chew occupied almost every public office, being Commissioner of the Peace and Sheriff of Anne Arundel County, Justice of the Provincial COurt and of the Court of Chancery, Provincial Secretary and Colonial of the Militia in active service against the Indians.
9. Edward C. Papenfuse, Alan F. Day, David W. Jordan, and Gregory A. Stiverson, A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature, 1635-1789, The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore and London, 1985. "
Calvert County Living
Maidstone was in Anne Arundel county until 1823 when the county line was moved. The records were secure in Annapolis instead of being destroyed in the ruinous courthouse fires of Calvert County.
In the 1600's, the Chew Family, Quakers from England, held many acres of land along "Herring Bay," known today as "Fairhaven," in Anne Arundel County. Legend has it that incoming ships navigated the channel by lining up various Chew family residences to give them their bearings.
In 1667, William Hunt is recorded to have applied to have about "350 acres of land more or less" patented in his name and called "Maidstone," and on July 2, 1679 he was granted the patent by Lord Baltimore.
Hunt shortly sold the land to William Crosby, who made no payments on the purchase for five years, and the best guess is that he returned to England.
Meanwhile, in the Chew family, Samuel Chew and his wife, Ann Ayers Chew, owned some 600 acres near the Bay. Samuel died in 1676, leaving his widow and six or seven sons. By custom and designation, the home-place was left to his oldest son, also named Samuel. (In those days the boys got land and the girls received 100 pounds of tobacco and a servant.)
The widow, Ann Chew, evidently a lady of some enterprise, set about protecting the interests of her other sons, and acquired, in succession, the 500 acre parcel known as "Poppinjay", which comprised lands which later were known as Cherry Hill (owned by the Chaney family), Sparrow's Place (now known as Lyons Creek Hundred, owned by the Vanous family), and Sanctly, a tract in the same area which is now a residential development.
Finally, learning that William Crosby had defaulted on his purchase of the 350 acre Maidstone, she successfully petitioned Lord Baltimore to "escheat" the land to her, granting her, a patent on the property described as being "four miles in the woods from Herring Bay." Thus, Maidstone came into Chew ownership, designated for her sons Benjamin and John, " whoever shall live longest."
Son Benjamin Chew married in 1692 and had three children, two girls and a boy, but Benjamin died in 1699, surviving his mother who died in 1695. (John had died in 1692 or 1693 without marrying.)
In his carefully drawn will, Benjamin Chew named his two-year-old son Samuel as his heir, a wish which was honored, though his estate was not finally settled until some 25 years later.
Benjamin's widow, Elizabeth Benson Chew, re-married. Her new husband, Mr. Bond, was a widower also with children. The house on Maidstone was built for this new extended family.
Members of the Chew family continued to own Maidstone until 1745 when it was sold to an Anne Arundel County farmer named Lewin. (The last Chew owner was the first Benjamin Chew's grandson, Benjamin Chew, who became the Chief Justice of Pennsylvania, and whose home in Germantown, Pennsylvania, "Clivedon," was recently given by the Chew family to the National Trust.)
During the next hundred years, ownership was held by a Weems family and its various intermarriages, passing through a period of litigation in the 1820's, winding up finally in the ownership of Philip Chew (not believed to be related to the original Chew family) who sold the property to John Fletcher Wilson in 1855.
Earl and Jean Hicks bought the house and acreage from Dr. Compton Wilson and his son, "Young" Compton Wilson. The Wilson family had held the property for four generations since John Fletcher Wilson gave the property to his son Alvin for a wedding present. Alvin's son Compton (in his eighties in 1949) and Compton's namesake (in his 50's) had lived in the house and left their mark on its evolution until the Hicks family took stewardship in 1949.
Additions and modifications
The original home was built for the combined Bond-Chew family was small by today's standards. Additions over the years have left some rakish angles and a noticeable sag in the roofline where a new section was added, but the house has natural charm which "grew." The dormers were added to the house in stages, the ones on the west (Greek. Revival) in 1825 or 1830, and the last dormer and chimney were completed about 1840. The porches were added around 1830.
Around 1840, it seems that the post and beam constructed house underwent a "modernization." The extension of the house was added, doors and woodwork from downstairs were moved upstairs, the stairway which had risen from what is now the now-dining room was removed and a new one was built in the hall, and panelling from that same room was stripped out. Some of it now lines the passageway between the pantry and bath. The dining room was restored with 18th century panelling which is at home with the facing of the unusual corner fireplace the only original panelling remaining in the room. The ceilings of the first floor were re-worked to expose the fine old wooden beams, and in the process the brick "nogging" above the plate in the hallway was left exposed because of its beauty and interest.
In May of 1971, Maidstone was placed on the National Register of Historical Places. Current owners, Earl and Jean Hicks gave a deed of perpetual easement on the 117 acres surrounding Maidstone to the Maryland Environmental Trust, assuring that the lands of Maidstone can never be lost to development.
Honorable witnesses have soberly given credibility to the story that there is indeed a ghost, believed to be a later Ann Chew, who in 1724 married Philip Thomas (a forebear of Whitall Thomas Clevenger who now lives in another famous old house in the county.) The wedding was a Quaker ceremony, held at Maidstone, and the marriage certificate was signed by all the witnesses. No one knows what event left the spirit of the "grey lady" unable to rest, but during the last thirty years, Maidstone's corporal residents and their little grey lady have co-habited tranquilly, neither disturbing the other.
Father: John CHEW b: 16 Jul 1587 in Whalley Parish, Lancashire, England
Mother: Sarah BOND (GALE) b: 1600 in England
Anne AYRES b: 1635/1645 in of Nansemond, Virginia (probably born England)
in Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Maryland Genealogies - A Consolidation of Articles from the Maryland Historical Magazine, Vol. I, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, 1980, 1997, pg. 254-272
Chew Family, by Francis B. Culver, from Vol. XXX (1935), 157-175.
- Samuel CHEW b: ABT 1660 in Herring Bay, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Sarah CHEW b: ABT 1662 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Joseph CHEW b: 1662/1663
- Nathaniel CHEW b: ABT 1666
- William CHEW b: ABT 1670 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- Benjamin CHEW b: from 13 Feb 1670 to 13 Apr 1671 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland
- John CHEW
- Caleb CHEW b: ABT 1672
- Anne CHEW b: ABT 1675 in Herring Bay, Anne Arundel County, Maryland