Name: Jane CORNISH
Given Name: Jane
Christening: 14 Aug 1612 Tiverton, Devon, England
Death: AFT 1674 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland
1. One interesting note is that the above George CORNISH attended the church of St. Mary Magdalen Milk Street in London. This was a VERY small parish especially by London standards. Many years there weren't more than about a dozen baptisms recorded. Compare that with some London churches that would have over 1000 a year. This is the same church where Edward ROBINS and Jane CORNISH had their first children baptized. Since the Devon marriage allegation listed Edward ROBINS was of London, and Jane CORNISH was of Tiverton, is was undoubtedly through her uncle George that Edward in London met Jane in Devon.
Change Date: 28 Jan 2005 at 22:00:00
2. St. Peter's Parish Register, Church of England, Tiverton, England, read by Devon Record Office, Exeter, England.
Father: Richard CORNISH b: 1578/1579 in Tiverton, Devon, England c: 25 Jan 1578/1579
Mother: Grace GOODING
Edward ROBINS b: 1602/1604 in Long Buckby, Northhamptonshire, England c: 26 Aug 1604 in Long Buckby, Northamptonshire, England
16 Apr 1630
in St. Mary Magdalen, Milk St., London, England
Fredric Z. Saunders, Salt Lake City, UT, http://pweb.netcom.com/~fzsaund/robins.html, Fredric Z. Saunders 1234 Waterside Cove #21 Midvale, UT 84047-4293 Last revised: 6 Nov. 1999
Fredric Z. Saunders
Marriage license in Devonshire on 16 April 1630 with Jane Cornish. They had 7 children born in London, of which only two survived.
Diocese of Exeter Marriage Bonds and Allegations, Devonshire, England. Abstract of only names and dates. Originals destroyed by bombing in 1942. FHL microfilm 0,916,997.
- Rachel ROBINS b: in London, England c: 20 Nov 1631 in St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street, London, England
- Thomas ROBINS b: in London, England c: 4 Jun 1633 in St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street, London, England
- Christian ROBINS b: in London, England c: 4 May 1634 in St. Mary Magdalen, Milk Street, London, England
- Elizabeth ROBINS b: in London, England c: 20 May 1635 in England
- Sarah ROBINS b: in London, England c: 25 Jul 1636 in St. Dunstan East, London, England
- Richard ROBINS b: in London, England c: 31 Jun 1637 in St. Dunstan East, London, England
- Ratchell (Rachel) ROBINS b: in London, England c: 3 Oct 1638 in St. Dunstan East, London, England
- Mary PUTTINGTON b: 1642/1649
- Comfort PUTTINGTON b: 1642/1649
- Title: http://home.netcom.com/~fzsaund/cornish.html
Author: Fredric Z. Saunders,Salt Lake City, UT
Further details and documentation of this family can be found in an article by Fredric Z. Saunders in the Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin, 42: 51-101 (Winter 2001).
The following is a quote from Fredric Z. Saunder's Web page on the Cornish family:
Walter Cornish of Tiverton, Devon, England was descended from the "Cornish of Cornish Hall" in Cornwall.1 While this location has not been identified the arms and crest used by Walter's grandson George is nearly identical to that of the CORNISH family of Marazion, Cornwall.18 The only apparent differences are that the arms of George CORNISH contain a crescent on both the chevron and on the Cornish chough, and the plant growing from the base of the crest of the George CORNISH arms contain small circles (berries?) not seen on the Marazion arms. My understanding of heraldry is that a crescent represents descent from a second son. Anyone more knowledgable of heraldry please contact me. The earliest known person on the Marazion family is William CORNISH, Esq. who was buried 4 Dec. 1779, age 59.19 It may be that the CORNISH family of Tiverton, Devon and that from Marazion, Cornwall descend from a not too distant common ancestor.
- Title: Baptism
Text: Jane CORNISH bap. 15 Aug. 1612 Tiverton, Devon, England; living 1674 Anne Arundel County, Maryland